Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, peoples!

Sent the sales manager a question regarding info on the status of my Sky R/L and got this as part of the response from my salesman:

"The factory does not allow Mr. Burkins to order a SKY until his allocation allotment is released. Mr. Burkins was afraid you might get upset, because we are not ordering cars the same day we take deposits. We only order SKYs when the factory releases an "order image"."

It went on to say that they are averaging 2 Skys per month so my question is:

Am I right in assuming that the factory sends him a note saying "Ok, we're gonna build 2 Skys today and send them to you. What do you want?" and at that time he goes in and says I was a red base sky and this midnite blue R/L for this guy.

Any info would be nice cause I'm getting all freaky deaky!

Thornus

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Essentially correct, but it's all done through their computer order system. They cannot order a car until the factory relases an "image" to the dealer. The image is basically an electronic order form that they can fill out to suit the customers wishes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey, peoples!

Sent the sales manager a question regarding info on the status of my Sky R/L and got this as part of the response from my salesman:

"The factory does not allow Mr. Burkins to order a SKY until his allocation allotment is released. Mr. Burkins was afraid you might get upset, because we are not ordering cars the same day we take deposits. We only order SKYs when the factory releases an "order image"."

It went on to say that they are averaging 2 Skys per month so my question is:

Am I right in assuming that the factory sends him a note saying "Ok, we're gonna build 2 Skys today and send them to you. What do you want?" and at that time he goes in and says I was a red base sky and this midnite blue R/L for this guy.

Any info would be nice cause I'm getting all freaky deaky!

Thornus
Each dealer on Thursday gets a report of allocation and constraints (not available) based on this report you can place orders. There are alot of dealers that get very minimal available images (cars to be built) it is based on the dealers vloume.
The guy is apologizing that he can not get your order in sooner based on this system. And letting you know that it could be a while before he gets an image without constraints to place your order. And also consider where you are in line at the dealer as well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My dealer told me the exact same thing. He has the orders in his system but he has to wait till he gets an allotment at which time he submits what he has waiting that is not constrained. He said that is true with any Saturn model not just the Sky. He said as a small dealer he may have to wait a while. That I believe.
I was furhter told this is when the preliminary order # with the 6 alpha-numeric characters is issued. Not sure if this is so. I'm sure someone can verify this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks!

i thought I was reading that right. They do tell me I am #2 on the R/L list so that means i should get it by....lets see...carry the 2....subtact....and....hmmmm....by my calculations I should get it someday!

Thanks again!

T

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
You are pretty much correct, however the general manager can place an order in the system without an allocation and get a order number (6 digits). As I understand things the first level is status 1100-1102 this basically means he has received your order but has not submitted it to GM, then you go status 2000-2050 this basically means they have sent your oder to GM and GM has acknowledged the order (this is when you get price protection), then the next step starts with 2500 this happens when your dealer get an allocation from GM for a Sky that matches your order (at this step GM tells the dealer what he can have based on the constraint report you see come oput every week, also the allocation can be for a base Sky or a Redline). After that you get to status 3000 which is where the fun begins it means the factory has accepted you order, and all the rest of the status codes tell you where your order is in the factory schedule, build, ship, & delivery process.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
118 Posts
You are pretty much correct, however the general manager can place an order in the system without an allocation and get a order number (6 digits). As I understand things the first level is status 1100-1102 this basically means he has received your order but has not submitted it to GM, then you go status 2000-2050 this basically means they have sent your oder to GM and GM has acknowledged the order (this is when you get price protection), then the next step starts with 2500 this happens when your dealer get an allocation from GM for a Sky that matches your order (at this step GM tells the dealer what he can have based on the constraint report you see come oput every week, also the allocation can be for a base Sky or a Redline). After that you get to status 3000 which is where the fun begins it means the factory has accepted you order, and all the rest of the status codes tell you where your order is in the factory schedule, build, ship, & delivery process.

True but the order is just what's called a "preliminary order" and has no precedence over anything. I think even the order number changes

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

My understanding was that when the preliminary order was placed is when Price Protection Starts. If you look over the threads on the recent price increase, you will find verification of this.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
So what happens when they keep giving you a NEW Order number?
Since I made my orginial depsit back on 5/26/2006 and they handed me the first GM Order workbench of KFCH9J, then KJWSK8 on 08/29/2006 now its KFHC9P don't have a copy of the last one it was verbal from the Sales Rep. So what's up with this? Why do they keep re-entering the Preliminary order detail? Would this use up all the order numbers, or gum up the system?

TulsaSky

·
Registered
304 Posts
So what happens when they keep giving you a NEW Order number?
Since I made my orginial depsit back on 5/26/2006 and they handed me the first GM Order workbench of KFCH9J, then KJWSK8 on 08/29/2006 now its KFHC9P don't have a copy of the last one it was verbal from the Sales Rep. So what's up with this? Why do they keep re-entering the Preliminary order detail? Would this use up all the order numbers, or gum up the system?

TulsaSky
It won't use up numbers until they stop building cars. All Skys have been 2007 MY so they should not have had to re-enter an order from May as Pontiac dealers had to (06 orders not filled did not carry over automatically) Unless they had a 07 to 07 MY changeover in teh summer.

The only price protected vehicles are ones whose orders were in GM's system (generating a VOM #) as a SOLD RETAIL unit. This price protection is valid even if the dealer does not have an allocation until actual 2007. For some reason Saturn dealers feel reluctant to place orders in the system (which can then be assigned to an allocation) compared to Pontiac dealers. Yes, GM will not allow a car to be built without an "image" but would it not be wise to always have a pending order and not lose an allocation because you have no current customer? (like that would happen, I guess)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
So if the dealer does not place deposited order to GM system ... the customer has no price protection ...? CORRECT?

:confused: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
So if the dealer does not place deposited order to GM system ... the customer has no price protection ...? CORRECT?

:confused: :rolleyes:
Yes that is correct, hope your dealer put your order in :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts