Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the dealer did not offer me what I wanted for trade in, I kept my 2000 Honda Accord and sold it myself. When I dug out all my service records on it I noticed that I still had the window sticker. I thought it was rather funny that a Honda had 70% US/Canadian parts content and The US made Sky is only 66%. Both are assembled in the US and both have US made engines and Japan Transmissions.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
And the Malibu line that comes out of the plant here in KC, MO. has complete engine assemblies from China. And Canadian built Ford Police cruisers had SO much non domestic cintent that they actually could have qualified as import cars under federal guidelines!!! And so it goes.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
US owned

Okay - but even though 70% of the parts for the accord may have been made here - where does the profit go?

GM has plants and employees in many countries - where does the profit go?

not saying I know anything about the whole situation - but where a certain part was made is only one piece in a very large puzzle.

I think that most advertising is more like close up magic - its all about mis-direction. Hey look at this and see how impressed you are - because you sure don't want you to look over there and see the truth - because that would spoil the illusion.

(not trying to be inflamatory here - my last 4 cars have been Honda - 3 Civics and one Acura Legend, which was actually built in Japan - planning to make my next car a Sky RedLine - my wife's next car may be a Pontiac G6 - though still considering something like a Toyota Yaris hatchback as a third car/winter car, primarily because ast $12,500 I could have a relatively low payment and pay it off entirely in 5 years to keep around as a spare - then again - when I go to turn in my 04 Civic the Honda delear might just make me an offer I can't refuse on a new Hinda for the wife instead of the G6).

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lil GTO said:
Okay - but even though 70% of the parts for the accord may have been made here - where does the profit go?

GM has plants and employees in many countries - where does the profit go?

not saying I know anything about the whole situation - but where a certain part was made is only one piece in a very large puzzle.

I think that most advertising is more like close up magic - its all about mis-direction. Hey look at this and see how impressed you are - because you sure don't want you to look over there and see the truth - because that would spoil the illusion.

(not trying to be inflamatory here - my last 4 cars have been Honda - 3 Civics and one Acura Legend, which was actually built in Japan - planning to make my next car a Sky RedLine - my wife's next car may be a Pontiac G6 - though still considering something like a Toyota Yaris hatchback as a third car/winter car, primarily because ast $12,500 I could have a relatively low payment and pay it off entirely in 5 years to keep around as a spare - then again - when I go to turn in my 04 Civic the Honda delear might just make me an offer I can't refuse on a new Hinda for the wife instead of the G6).
Your probably right about "where does the profit go". I just thought the 70%/66% thing was interesting.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can't think stricly along profit lines and where they go. Any company employing US workers benefits this country.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The American Sports CAR Corvette

:cool:
Its is assembled in Bowling Greens, KY but don't think for one minute all the parts are made in the USA. The biggest is the tyranny its made in Mexico, was told it has something to do with the type of metal used, EPA will not allow the manufacture of the metal in the USA, at least that's the story. My 06 Impala had a Canadian title on it as origin of car, was kind of cool. Not really sure about just how much of the parts for the 06 Implala were made in the USA. But at least my money went to GM not to Japan. Who knows how GM divides up all the money for all the car parts. :rolleyes:
But at least some Americans - USA got a piece of the pie, dough, cash. :thumbs:
I do know on a Mazda Miata 2006 the sticker says 100% for parts and for labor, same thing on a Honda S2000 right off the boat.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Where I live, it's big union time. I think it's really funny to see how many people want to buy "American" cars, but what they actually want is a American union made car. I would venture to say that most Union cars have a huge portion of import parts, but they still call it an "American Car". Many of the "Import" cars out there have a greater "American made Parts & Labor", but are not considered American cars- even if they share some of the same parts as the union made.
The fun company is Chrysler which is totally a NON AMERICAN company, but it still has American Union labor so people say it's an American company and in the "big 3", but it's a German company with good marketing.
Overall, the lines of "American" and "Import" are blured so much that you can't really say for sure what is an American car and what isn't. Like someone said above, is it American as Americans assembled the car, or is it American because GM/Ford owns the company? So are Opel cars "American" cars? Saab? Jaguar?
The argument could go on for ever.

·
Registered
223 Posts
TulsaSky said:
:cool:
Its is assembled in Bowling Greens, KY but don't think for one minute all the parts are made in the USA. The biggest is the tyranny its made in Mexico, was told it has something to do with the type of metal used, EPA will not allow the manufacture of the metal in the USA, at least that's the story. My 06 Impala had a Canadian title on it as origin of car, was kind of cool. Not really sure about just how much of the parts for the 06 Implala were made in the USA. But at least my money went to GM not to Japan. Who knows how GM divides up all the money for all the car parts. :rolleyes:
But at least some Americans - USA got a piece of the pie, dough, cash. :thumbs:
I do know on a Mazda Miata 2006 the sticker says 100% for parts and for labor, same thing on a Honda S2000 right off the boat.
Interesting stuff about the Corvette, I didn't know that!

TulsaSky, PM me when you get a chance.:)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
:agree: :agree:

I just have a clearer conscious if I know that the little sticker says the car is at least made aka assembled in America or even better the USA. At least some America workers Union or not got a paycheck and spent that money on rent and food in America.

TulsaSky

1 - 9 of 9 Posts