Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sigh! Keep the photos coming - next crop should include ours :cool:. Many thanks for the posts:thumbs:.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The date on the pictures is 1/26/2006 is that the date these pictures were taken?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had just received my new camara and forgot to set the date:confused: The correct date is 4-26-2006. My photo skills are much better now:D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wow Wow Wow

IslandHopper said:
can you believe this

ISLAND.....WOW is all I have to say...:eek:

Can I ask you this...how long have these been sitting there?

Second...Are they moving in and out? What I mean is when the lot has that many do they get put on trucks pretty quickly and empty the lot again?

What have you noticed?

Let us know...I'm wondering if my car is sitting there...lol :banghead:

Thanks for the pics man!

RedSky

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the 26th of April, there was only 1 truck loading. I did see 4 others already loaded with solstice, corvettes, and only a couple of skys. They do have train transports behind the factory but could not scale the fence to see if it was loaded. Security did not look all that impressive, there were 2 little white pick-ups driving around and a 8 ft wired fence. The cars are in one big lot, sectioned off with portable fences. I say load them up! move them out! RAWHIDE:D

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
With production at the rate of 7 or 8 per hour, that looks like about 1 day of production sitting on the lot and there's a transport truck being loaded up.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
ggccg said:
With production at the rate of 7 or 8 per hour, that looks like about 1 day of production sitting on the lot and there's a transport truck being loaded up.
Production of a Sky or Solstice takes 3 days from start to finish.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
ggccg said:

I thougth that was the daily rate not the hourly rate. It was good to see at least some cars being loaded. To bad I didn't see and Red Skys with Tan roofs in the croud.:confused: :willy:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
rick112 said:
I thougth that was the daily rate not the hourly rate. It was good to see at least some cars being loaded. To bad I didn't see and Red Skys with Tan roofs in the croud.:confused: :willy:
if they built 6-7 a day it would take them almost 4 years to build 10,000.:willy: No it is an hourly rate -- because a car take 2-3 days to be built -- rmember that is man hours (days) so if 2-4 people are working on a car then 2-4 hours per hour are adding up....
Also many cars are under construction at any one given time. . .

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
I think I see Mine

I think I see mine over there :jester:
Actually, Mine should be one of the ones on the truck that has already left.
:willy: Hope the truck doesn't get lost. Till then I am :willy: :banghead: :willy: with anticipation.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If any of you would like me to drop by the plant and visit your Sky, just let me know..... :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sure... have them hustle up in making the Red Lines!!

We're dying for those to start rolling out to the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Seagull said:
I think I see mine over there :jester:
Actually, Mine should be one of the ones on the truck that has already left.
:willy: Hope the truck doesn't get lost. Till then I am :willy: :banghead: :willy: with anticipation.
Seagull, just received a alot of new railcars here in Phoenix on Monday. Hubby was picking up there and saw ALOT of saturns. Hopefully yours is on one of them heading your way....:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
tjfox said:
According to GM they made 892 Skys in April.

http://www.gm.com/company/investor_information/sales_prod/

892 divided by 30 days is 29.7 per day or about 1 per hour.
deluke is right - time to build is independent from line rate.

Line rate tells how fast they come off the line. Time to build and line rate determine how big the assembly plant is.

At this point, they have somewhere between 7-8 cars per hour. I think they are running 3 8-hour shifts, where there is really only 7 hours of "building".

21 hours * 8 cars/hour = 168 possible cars per day.

The model mix determines the fraction of these cars per day (or per hour - however you want to look at line rate) are Production Solstices, Production SKY's, and future model tryouts (like building engineering cars or test fleet cars for the upcoming turbos, Opels, and Daewoos).

Your calculation implies that about 1.4 cars per hour were utilized to build SKY's. The balance were used to build Solstices.

I'd imagine that May will be a bit higher - maybe closer to 2-3 cars per hour SKY, the balance Solstice and <0.25cars per hour dedicated to future model test cars and manufacturing tryouts.

EDIT - actually in April, assuming they were building the whole month, there were only 18 standard building days. Throw in 2 saturdays and that makes 20 building days @ 21 building hours each.
This means the SKY was 2 plus a bit cars per hour of Wilmington's 7-8 cars per hour, or about 25% of production. So, I'd expect in may for it to be closer to 3-3.5 cars per hour allocated to SKY production.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts