Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Premium Member
Black 2008 Saturn Sky Redline (manual)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across demuro's latest video and makes me appreciate the simple experience of the sky/solstice top mechanism.

Registered
When Doug laughs after This... you know it'll be good (y)
I have a feeling bob lutz must of owned one of these 馃槀

Registered
Wow I just saw one of those on Saturday traveling south on Woodward Ave, north of Detroit. I almost caught up to it in traffic but it made the light and I didn't. Now I know what it was!

Registered
That isn't the worst top routine I've seen.

I owned an MGC convertible (basically an MGB but with a straight 6 3.0 engine) that had the completely removable top. This was back in the day when the Fiat 124 had a top that you could drop using twi windshield catches, and folding it back behind you while sitting at a stoplight.

Mind you, the top that stowed in the trunk left a better looking cleaner area behind the seats.....

Here's an erection video:

Registered
I had a 1979 Grand Prix SJ with T-Tops鈥.. compared to my 08 Sky, lowering the top verses removing T-Tops that involves opening the trunk, getting the storage bags, removing each T-Top, placing each one in their own bag, placing them in the trunk (they took up space, making the trunk less useable) closing said trunk and then enjoying a 鈥渃onvertible-esque鈥 experience. Repeat procedure in reverse to replace T-Tops.
Nope, I don鈥檛 think 馃 I鈥檒l complain about the top on my Sky.
Just my two cents鈥.

Super Moderator
That isn't the worst top routine I've seen.

I owned an MGC convertible (basically an MGB but with a straight 6 3.0 engine) that had the completely removable top. This was back in the day when the Fiat 124 had a top that you could drop using twi windshield catches, and folding it back behind you while sitting at a stoplight.

Mind you, the top that stowed in the trunk left a better looking cleaner area behind the seats.....

Here's an erection video:

My 1963 MGB had that top and tonneau arrangement. If it started raining during a drive there was no point in stopping to put the top up.

Registered
I had a Sunbeam Tiger for 18 yrs. Putting up the top was worse than putting up a tent. It was easier to just put on the hardtop.

Super Moderator
I had a Sunbeam Tiger for 18 yrs. Putting up the top was worse than putting up a tent. It was easier to just put on the hardtop.
The hard top fit into the trunk? (Yes, I'm kidding.)

Registered
My 1963 MGB had that top and tonneau arrangement. If it started raining during a drive there was no point in stopping to put the top up.
Yeah - we always kept driving while looking for an overpass to stop under to put the top up!

That wasn't my worst car for weather protection, mind you......

Registered
The Alfa RZ sure is a strange bird. Thanks spydee for putting that up.
Manual or Auto top functions- ease of use, to pain in the ass.

The relative ease of a flip and drop it top- like the Miata when compared to ours.
A friend of mine just bought a new Miata with the power hardtop.
One flick of the switch and it's up or down. Electrical motors for operation and
at what extra cost to the bottom line?
More weight and maybe more problems down the road maybe?

Just the other day when I made those 2 Runs- I passed a Cobra going in
the opposite direction- as we waved at each other, his car had no top what so ever.
To me this is the true roadster- no top, no side windows either. Not much comfort.
Pure and simple.

My brother owed and stored a 1979 Sprite 1500 here for many years.
As we cleared the garage- preparing to sell the old car, I worked the
old top up and down for the new owner. Still in good condition. No problems.
This car had been modified as a track day racer. What the new owner, the
same friend who bought the new Miata with the power top- didn't know was
that this car came with the original removable hard top too. A coupe and
a convertible too.

Would I buy another Vert? Yeah I would even with a top that is not perfect
in it's feature to raise or lower it with effort. The trade off out weighs the hassle.

Had an odd car pass me the other day near the local community college.
I wasn't sure what it was. Never seen one before. So.. had to do some
photo research on what I thought it might. The other day I see an article
on The Drive: 2021 Karma GS-6. That was it. All white low and lean.
Pretty cool looking car.

* Harry's Garage- another 1000 mile Run this time in a MB SLR.
I love his longer runs- The road trip adventures through Europe in
whatever. RR to the Artic . Testarossa 2000 miles to the Sahara.

LAC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts