Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No power lock buttons!! Well That i must say is one of the most annoying non-features of the SKY. But it does have power locks just not a button in the car. SO when u hit the key fob the car has actuaters that unlock the door. So theoretically a good custom guy could hook up a button to the actuators in place. I guess u would just need the wiring schematics. Any one else have any input on that. Im not a pro so my theory could be flawed.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
migg750 said:
No power lock buttons!! Well That i must say is one of the most annoying non-features of the SKY. But it does have power locks just not a button in the car. SO when u hit the key fob the car has actuaters that unlock the door. So theoretically a good custom guy could hook up a button to the actuators in place. I guess u would just need the wiring schematics. Any one else have any input on that. Im not a pro so my theory could be flawed.
One heck of a lot easier to hit the fob....

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
One heck of a lot easier to hit the fob....
or take your spare key fob and velcro it to the perfect power door lock button place of your choosing.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
ggccg said:
or take your spare key fob and velcro it to the perfect power door lock button place of your choosing.
I have to say this one gave me a chuckle...:lol:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I find that pretty annoying as well. Letting friends in and out (since the things locks the doors on you when it moves) requires groping around for the button on the fob. It woulden't have killed Saturn to have a button somewhere.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think it's stupid not to have a lock button by the window buttons. I know it is supposed to be safer if your doors are locked if your in a wreck but, I wonder if there is a way to disable the locks from locking when you move?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I believe on the other 3 Saturns I have owned that there was a way to program it to not lock automatically...in the owners manual.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
And that ladies and Gents is one of the biggest grips about the 2007 Saturn Sky. Congrat's Saturn!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
migg750 said:
Dont be so dang lazy and reach around and unlock the dang door... Skip old fashioned and doing it myself....:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
dead horse time again

here we go beating the same old dead horse...:deadhorse
seems like people are so spoiled now, they cannot remember a time when only the highest priced cars had power door locks on them... 90% of the cars had the manual locks with the knob in the same location as on the Sky... Come on guys, reach over your shoulder or turn a little bit in your seat and PULL UP THE KNOB.. Geese... What would you do if you had to use a key to unlock the door... OH MY disaster then... you could always buy a base Solstice, they have no power locks at all...

PS there is no way to completely disable the auto lock feature without disabling the power locks all together . sorry...

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Safer?

NCRedLine said:
I think it's stupid not to have a lock button by the window buttons. I know it is supposed to be safer if your doors are locked if your in a wreck but, I wonder if there is a way to disable the locks from locking when you move?
I think I have heard that - about supposedly safer - but is that true or just a myth? Seems that having the door unlocked would allow you to be resuced more easily - of course if you have an accident bad enough to trap you in your car I doubt the doors locked or unlocked woudl make much difference. Seems that doors locked would have more to do with not getting car-jacked, or if some bumped into you on purpose in order to commit some further crime against you.

I prefer cars that let the driver decide these things. Auto-matic seatbelts - no thanks, nearly got choked by one while working on a car and leaning out the driver door. Auto-matic door locks - no thanks, I'll decide when I want to lock my doors thank you. Although my Honda will lock the doors after a monute if you unlock them with the remote then do not open the drivers door and (I think) will lock the doors if you shut off the car, close all the doors, and leave it for a couple minutes. Which is not bad, unless you set your keys down inside the car, buckle your kid into the backseat, close the door then walk around to get in the driver door only to find it locked (which has not yet happened to me, but it could, but I learned never to close a door or the trunk unless I have my keys in hand after accidentally locking them in the trunk at an amusement park only to discover them missing after having spent the entire day in the park).

Actually this is related to the Automatic vs Manual Transmission - no matter how well designed the automatic system is - you cannot possibly build it and or program it to account for all possible combinations of circumstances that every customer will encounter through the life of the product.

And this applies not only to cars - a software program that I use for work every day has automatic features designed into it and I told the developers during the beta-testing phase that automatic features are okay so long as you can either guarantee that they will function correctly 100% of the time or you can provide a manual work around to allow more experienced users to generate the proper output when the automatic function is not working correctly.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Lil GTO said:
I think I have heard that - about supposedly safer - but is that true or just a myth? Seems that having the door unlocked would allow you to be resuced more easily - of course if you have an accident bad enough to trap you in your car I doubt the doors locked or unlocked woudl make much difference. Seems that doors locked would have more to do with not getting car-jacked, or if some bumped into you on purpose in order to commit some further crime against you.

QUOTE]
it is not a myth, it keeps form the door handle from accidently getting pulled, either the outside one or inside one and the door opening and part or all of you getting smashed on the pavement (depending if you are wearing your seatbelt or not), or by another car.. A piece of clothing could get caught on the inside handle while you are getting jossled around and pull the handle( and for that matter if there was a button you could hit it and unlock the door anyway), that is why they don't have the pull the handle to unlock the door feature some people want... besides, if you are in a accident bad enough to get trapped they are going to cut you out anyway so the door being locked won't matter to the Jaws of life...
It is just another feature I don't have to worry about my wife driving late at night and forgetting to lock her door and some bad person comes up and tries to get in her car... it is a minor inconvenience to reach around every once in a while to unlock the door, but the safety and security is worth it to me...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Power door locks

I just had to add my .02 to this. I have the auto trans and all I need to do to unlock the doors is put it in P. My other Saturns have this feature too so this is not a big deal to me.

I do however understand the issue for those who are driving the "correctly trannied"

:D

·
Registered
319 Posts
The best solution to this would be for a software update for the manual transmission cars that would unlock the doors when you applied the parking brake.

They have all the sensors they need already (the car knows its speed, and knows when the parking brake has been applied), they just have to write the routine that unlocks the doors when the car is stopped and the parking brake is set. This is the closest thing to an automatic transmission's "PARK" that a manual can mimic.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i've never had power anything so this will be awesome for me no matter what. although i do think a button would make sense....can't really see the reason for not having it. oh well i just want my car!!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
jarcher said:
I find that pretty annoying as well. Letting friends in and out (since the things locks the doors on you when it moves) requires groping around for the button on the fob. It woulden't have killed Saturn to have a button somewhere.
Sometimes groping around in a car is fun... But you'd only be groping for a button as well, just like the fob...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Sometimes groping around in a car is fun... /QUOTE]
:lol:
I wonder which parts bin the door hardware came from, probably something somewhere that doesn't have standard power locks.

If you guys want to drop your car off at my place, for $300 I can set it up so the doors unlock when you pull up the emergency brake. $5 in wiring and a relay or two would be get 'er done.

The GTO is really funny, $34K and no unlock button. I guess in aussie land they don't use power door lock buttons.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
here we go beating the same old dead horse...:deadhorse
seems like people are so spoiled now, they cannot remember a time when only the highest priced cars had power door locks on them... 90% of the cars had the manual locks with the knob in the same location as on the Sky... Come on guys, reach over your shoulder or turn a little bit in your seat and PULL UP THE KNOB.. Geese... What would you do if you had to use a key to unlock the door... OH MY disaster then... you could always buy a base Solstice, they have no power locks at all...

PS there is no way to completely disable the auto lock feature without disabling the power locks all together . sorry...
:thumbs: :agree: :agree: The SKY isn't about power locks, autmatic tops, it is about the fun of driving a roadster, top down and in the wind!!:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts