Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My antenna mast broke so I ordered the Opal shorter mast... went to change it today and snapped the stud on the mounting bracket. Figures.

The bracket is GM part #25956527 but it's been discontinued and I can't source it ANYWHERE... even the junk yards I called can't find one for me.

Anyone have suggestions on how to cobble a fix together? I haven't actually removed my bracket yet but I want to believe the bracket itself is salvageable if I can source another mount/stub from another GM vehicle.

I know there are universal mounts available but I'm trying to avoid them because a) I don't want to pull the antenna lead all the way back to the radio (ours have that short lead that connects right in the trunk, and b) the engineers thought that bracket was necessary for some reason (probably to protect the quarter panel).

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Not sure what to tell you about this one. Mine was broken off when I bought it.
Part # checks out as I look at my receipt. I'm not sure the old one can be repaired
somehow? Not sure a new stud could be welded back on the original bracket with
the right length and thread pattern? I wonder if it could be replicated by a 3D print
facility either? You could be stuck with your only option of a universal mount and
running the cable back to the head unit. Other owners might chime with their fixes
for this situation you are having.

Jam an old bent coat hanger in there and call it a day. Someone here will come up
with a fix for you. Took me about an hour to replace everything, bunch of screws, bolts
tools to use, a beer or two thrown in. I bought the short antenna from an HHR model iirc-
which I had previously owned/traded in before I bought my Sky.

LAC

·
Premium Member
Black 2008 Saturn Sky Redline (manual)
77 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I got a universal antenna for about $25. The downside is that I had to run it all the way to the head unit and also had to get a 4 ft extension. Didn't realize how much of a pain it was until I was halfway into it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Finding a used one was difficult but not impossible. Maybe someone who is turning their car into a track car has no need for the antenna bracket and will part with it. Just be aware that the one for the Solstice is not the same as the one for the Sky. You can see the differences here in Post# 38 of this thread. The Sky bracket is on the left and the Solstice bracket is on the right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Still no luck sourcing a used one. I've called 10 junk yards with Sky's listed on their lots... nothing. I checked with Hoosier but he only has a Solstice one. Does anyone know if the wire lead/stud can be removed from the bracket? Is it welded in there or just friction fit into a clip? If it's just clipped I think I can salvage my bracket and cannibalize a Solstice one for the wire lead/stud.

·
Registered
18,184 Posts
Anything and everything is possible....sometimes not probable. Go for it. What do u really have to lose....of course it is not my money. It's always easier to spend another persons.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'll have another look at my damaged unit to see if can be taken apart & salvaged. When i first looked at it, I didn't see that as a reasonable course of action. Dont forget if you are utilizing a Solstice wiring/stud, you have to change the wiring connector also.

It took me about 9 - 10 weeks to finally find one located in a wrecking yard on the other side of the country so maybe have a little patience and just keep searching.

·
Registered
18,184 Posts
I'll have another look at my damaged unit to see if can be taken apart & salvaged. When i first looked at it, I didn't see that as a reasonable course of action. Dont forget if you are utilizing a Solstice wiring/stud, you have to change the wiring connector also.

It took me about 9 - 10 weeks to finally find one located in a wrecking yard on the other side of the country so maybe have a little patience and just keep searching.
Perseverance! Perseverance !

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Can you not drill out the old stud and replace?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Has anyone tried to drill into the base and replace the broken stud? Might be something soon that someone is going to have to attempt as the supply of mounts is going to be dried up.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Has anyone tried to drill into the base and replace the broken stud? Might be something soon that someone is going to have to attempt as the supply of mounts is going to be dried up.

View attachment 115533
I did it, but the problem was the two directional stud that I found had a hump in the middle that held the mast off of the support. It looked weird. Since I was always traveling there was no time to work on it so I ordered a new one. If you had a left hand tap it would probably be a relatively easy task because the stud threads would be continuous and not reversed. If you drill too deep you may damage the connection.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I tried that also but wasn't successful. When i found the used one for $60 Cdn shipped to my door, i stopped attempting to repair the damaged one.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I did it, but the problem was the two directional stud that I found had a hump in the middle that held the mast off of the support. It looked weird. Since I was always traveling there was no time to work on it so I ordered a new one. If you had a left hand tap it would probably be a relatively easy task because the stud threads would be continuous and not reversed. If you drill too deep you may damage the connection.
When doing such a thing you should use a piece of continuously threaded rod so you have no hump in the middle. So it IS possible to fix it if it snaps off, good to know! Might I suggest perhaps a little anti-seize on the threads of the replacement antenna so it doesn't seize again?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm buying a lottery ticket tonight, I think I might have found one. Had to call (no less) than 35 scrap yards. Cross your fingers for me. The computer says they have it but they won't know until tomorrow morning when they go out to look in person.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There is a Sky being parted out on the Facebook forum (Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice, Opel GT Classifieds & Tech ) and it looks like he'll have what you are looking for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A few updates...

1) The junkyard came through for me, package arrived yesterday and installed last night. Good luck to the next guy, this was not easy to find.

2) To answer some of the questions in the thread (for the next guy that breaks one):
  • The wire lead (well, stud+mount+wire lead) is held on to the bracket by two rivet clips on the back. I think it may be possible to pop those rivets off and use the wire lead from a Solstice with your original Sky bracket. You would need to tack weld it back together or something.
  • The stud does not appear to be removable from the mount - at least not with normal human strength. It would be conceivable to cut it flush and tap threads for a new stud though. I may experiment with my old one before throwing it out to see how that goes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you try and use the wire lead from a Solstice on your Sky, you'll need to change the connector at the other end too. In my eyes, its not worth the amount of work required and these parts do become available at reasonable prices with a bit of searching & patience. The one on F-B that i mentioned still has that part available .....

Sky connector on the left, Solstice on the right.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
If you try and use the wire lead from a Solstice on your Sky, you'll need to change the connector at the other end too. In my eyes, its not worth the amount of work required and these parts do become available at reasonable prices with a bit of searching & patience. The one on F-B that i mentioned still has that part available .....

Sky connector on the left, Solstice on the right.
Are you sure that's a Sky/Solstice difference? Or maybe a XM radio/NO XM Radio difference?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts