Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My coolant keeps disappearing/evaporating. I noticed this hose (in black), which is connected to the tank and is open on the other end. Is this OE? Is it supposed to be plugged at the other end? I have to refill coolant every week or so and its annoying and expensive.

Blue Automotive lighting Fluid Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
That's the overflow hose, if there's too much coolant in the coolant tank and pressure is too high it'll drain through that hose.
Check for leaks near the water pump area, if you notice any there then most likely its on its way out.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That's the overflow hose, if there's too much coolant in the coolant tank and pressure is too high it'll drain through that hose.
Check for leaks near the water pump area, if you notice any there then most likely its on its way out.
My 93 Corvette came with an overflow reservoir that would suck the overflow back into the tank. Adding one to the Sky would probably work the same way.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Hey guys,

My coolant keeps disappearing/evaporating. I noticed this hose (in black), which is connected to the tank and is open on the other end. Is this OE? Is it supposed to be plugged at the other end? I have to refill coolant every week or so and its annoying and expensive.
Is that picture with the engine hot? The level should be right at the seam (not full) when it is cold.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hey guys,

View attachment 117324
Do NOT modify that tube. Leave it alone. If your engine overheats and you have a boil-over, the fluid needs to escape, and that is the provision for it.

Disappearing coolant is concerning. You are either leaking it out on the street (or spraying the underside of your Sky) or it is getting into your engine. If your motor oil looks fine, you might be burning it out through your exhaust. In either case, a simple solution would be to add BAR'S Stop Leak. I personally endorse the tablets because they are very clean and leave no residue in the cooling system. They are cork-like particles that float around in the cooling system and plug up small leaks around gaskets and such. It works so well that GM uses the product in some of their vehicles right off the assembly line.

Here is the product, sold at most auto part stores and Walmart.
Font Circle Metal Pattern Logo

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Do NOT modify that tube. Leave it alone. If your engine overheats and you have a boil-over, the fluid needs to escape, and that is the provision for it.

Disappearing coolant is concerning. You are either leaking it out on the street (or spraying the underside of your Sky) or it is getting into your engine. If your motor oil looks fine, you might be burning it out through your exhaust. In either case, a simple solution would be to add BAR'S Stop Leak. I personally endorse the tablets because they are very clean and leave no residue in the cooling system. They are cork-like particles that float around in the cooling system and plug up small leaks around gaskets and such. It works so well that GM uses the product in some of their vehicles right off the assembly line.

View attachment 117325
The overflow has an overflow. The reason you state to not modify is invalid.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that picture with the engine hot? The level should be right at the seam (not full) when it is cold.
It is cold, overnight cold. The coolant line is probably about 1/4" from the tank seam.

what's odd is that there is no smoke whatsoever from the exhaust, and there are zero drip marks on the driveway or garage.

Also for the other poster above, the waterpump and all seals/gaskets are new, replaced just a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

View attachment 117325
Radiator is brand new, and no leaks detected anywhere, at least not visually.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
It is cold, overnight cold. The coolant line is probably about 1/4" from the tank seam.

what's odd is that there is no smoke whatsoever from the exhaust, and there are zero drip marks on the driveway or garage.

Also for the other poster above, the waterpump and all seals/gaskets are new, replaced just a couple of months ago.
Huh. The tank looks full to me, I guess I am not seeing it correctly.

How much are you adding, and how often? How far do you fill it each time? Is the low coolant light coming on?

·
Registered
656 Posts

Radiator is brand new, and no leaks detected anywhere, at least not visually.
I would say this sounds like your system is purging air then based on what you replaced recently. Even if you used a vacuum I've seen others post that their fluid would still drop as there was still a few spots air bubbles may have formed. However, you're saying you're filling the tank every week. How much every week? If more than an ounce or two you have a bigger issue.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huh. The tank looks full to me, I guess I am not seeing it correctly.

How much are you adding, and how often? How far do you fill it each time? Is the low coolant light coming on?
I would say two or three ounces every week, week and a half at most. This is from 5 or so days ago

Automotive tire Bumper Hood Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would say this sounds like your system is purging air then based on what you replaced recently. Even if you used a vacuum I've seen others post that their fluid would still drop as there was still a few spots air bubbles may have formed. However, you're saying you're filling the tank every week. How much every week? If more than an ounce or two you have a bigger issue.
I mentioned in the post above, 2 or 3 ounces every week. No leaks or drips anywhere though that I can see. I booked an appt with the techs that did the FMIC/radiator/water pump/etc work a couple of months ago. The car does sit in the garage 3 or 4 days straight.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
I would say two or three ounces every week, week and a half at most. This is from 5 or so days ago
I mentioned in the post above, 2 or 3 ounces every week. No leaks or drips anywhere though that I can see. I booked an appt with the techs that did the FMIC/radiator/water pump/etc work a couple of months ago. The car does sit in the garage 3 or 4 days straight.
I could look this up, but will ask instead: What were the circumstances that prompted you to have the work done?

I would ask the shop how much coolant they put in, assuming that they made a note of it. They should have, to know how much to charge you for it. I would then keep track of how much you are putting in, and keep watching for leaks.

At some point you will either fill the system or find a leak.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I could look this up, but will ask instead: What were the circumstances that prompted you to have the work done?

I would ask the shop how much coolant they put in, assuming that they made a note of it. They should have, to know how much to charge you for it. I would then keep track of how much you are putting in, and keep watching for leaks.

At some point you will either fill the system or find a leak.
I had no idea whatsoever if they previous owners ever did any work to the car or not. I didnt have any history of maintenance and carfax is not reliable. So I did some preventive maintenance (or so I thought) and had all this stuff replaced.

Good idea on asking the shop how much dexcool they used, it was at least a jug for sure, due to the larger radiator.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Finding out how much coolant was used is a good starting to point to figure out if the system is just purging air and drawing coolant as it should or if there is a leak (internal or external). Of course this is only going to be as useful as the shop that performed the work tells you. The repair manual calls for just over 300 oz of coolant so I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they tell you when you ask. I just did my WP and drained the whole system for the most part and when I refilled my coolant I was around 1.5-1.75 of 50/50 jugs so maybe 190-220 oz more or less.

Purging air from our cooling systems is tricky. There is plenty of posts here and the Solstice forum where air bubbles have popped up a while later after a flush or fill even with people using the proper methods. So if you rarely drive your car it may be a while before you're finally done with it. Honestly, the best method I have found is using the compressed air method outlined by Mike Martin and Tim Ronak. It's relatively simple and most people have a small air compressor, vice grips, and a water bottle lying around.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finding out how much coolant was used is a good starting to point to figure out if the system is just purging air and drawing coolant as it should or if there is a leak (internal or external). Of course this is only going to be as useful as the shop that performed the work tells you. The repair manual calls for just over 300 oz of coolant so I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they tell you when you ask. I just did my WP and drained the whole system for the most part and when I refilled my coolant I was around 1.5-1.75 of 50/50 jugs so maybe 190-220 oz more or less.

Purging air from our cooling systems is tricky. There is plenty of posts here and the Solstice forum where air bubbles have popped up a while later after a flush or fill even with people using the proper methods. So if you rarely drive your car it may be a while before you're finally done with it. Honestly, the best method I have found is using the compressed air method outlined by Mike Martin and Tim Ronak. It's relatively simple and most people have a small air compressor, vice grips, and a water bottle lying around.
Thank you for the info. Now knowing your experience, the context helps so I can definitely see that happening.

Thanks to all y'all, you guys are great.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
I had no idea whatsoever if they previous owners ever did any work to the car or not. I didnt have any history of maintenance and carfax is not reliable. So I did some preventive maintenance (or so I thought) and had all this stuff replaced.

Good idea on asking the shop how much dexcool they used, it was at least a jug for sure, due to the larger radiator.
Given that you were not fixing an acute problem I would not suspect any internal problems, and would mainly be looking at the things that were worked on. That is not to say that a problem totally unrelated to the work could not have suddenly appeared, so a pinhole leak in a hose is a possibility, however unlikely.

My apprach would still be to keep track of what you are adding, and get concerned when the total added exceeds the system capacity.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Given that you were not fixing an acute problem I would not suspect any internal problems, and would mainly be looking at the things that were worked on. That is not to say that a problem totally unrelated to the work could not have suddenly appeared, so a pinhole leak in a hose is a possibility, however unlikely.

My apprach would still be to keep track of what you are adding, and get concerned when the total added exceeds the system capacity.
Good insight John.

I went back and looked at my invoices (i paid for all parts, chemicals, etc and then delivered that to the shop) and I bought two gals of premixed dexcool. I am at about gal and maybe 1/3, inching on gallon and a half. Based on steve's and your comments, I feel more comfortable thinking I'm still purging.

But I'll have the shop look at the hoses (which were also replaced) very closely.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
What are your temp readings during this loss & adding of coolant?

You had all that work done by the shop- plus you have the receipts
and parts warranty- it is back to the shop for their solution to this coolant
loss. Unless you see a puddle on the ground or on the frame rails as a location.

It might be burping itself- the self purge through the expansion tank hose.
The adding of coolant weekly can be confirmed by the shop as to if their work
before missed this. It could have been hiding for some time in the system.
Flip your heater on- see if the temps stay the same, if there is any coolant loss.

No visible sign of coolant below the car, no vapor from the exhaust, new major
parts installed to the cars cooling system and no high temps.

Burp, blech, fart. Replace beer fluids anytime during this process weekly.

You can try the air compressor fix or take it back to the shop and see what
they have to say about this? You paid for all those new parts as preventive
maintenance not knowing past history. You didn't install these parts or the
coolant. They did. It might have been ok when it left the shop but now not so much.

A massive loss of coolant- high temps- oil looking a milkshake might lead to
the owner to believe something major has gone wrong here. I see no real
evidence to dispute this conclusion theory.

LAC

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What are your temp readings during this loss & adding of coolant?
They never got above 190 degrees.

You had all that work done by the shop- plus you have the receipts
and parts warranty- it is back to the shop for their solution to this coolant
loss. Unless you see a puddle on the ground or on the frame rails as a location.
agreed

It might be burping itself- the self purge through the expansion tank hose.
The adding of coolant weekly can be confirmed by the shop as to if their work
before missed this. It could have been hiding for some time in the system.
Flip your heater on- see if the temps stay the same, if there is any coolant loss.
Great idea!

No visible sign of coolant below the car, no vapor from the exhaust, new major
parts installed to the cars cooling system and no high temps.

Burp, blech, fart. Replace beer fluids anytime during this process weekly.
I'm the one that needs beer fluids replacement, my BAC is dangerously low

You can try the air compressor fix or take it back to the shop and see what
they have to say about this? You paid for all those new parts as preventive
maintenance not knowing past history. You didn't install these parts or the
coolant. They did. It might have been ok when it left the shop but now not so much.
They are a very good shop, already spoke to them and they're keeping it overnight and going thru it inch by inch.

A massive loss of coolant- high temps- oil looking a milkshake might lead to
the owner to believe something major has gone wrong here. I see no real
evidence to dispute this conclusion theory.

LAC
Me neither, everything is top notch on the car, drives like a dream and everything is buttery smooth, its just this coolant issue which I dont doubt will get resolved. Appreciate the insight!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts