Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Flip your heater on- see if the temps stay the same, if there is any coolant loss.
Great idea!
FWIW, for most of us at least, our cars actually get hotter when you turn on the heater. It can be as much as a 10+ degree swing when on vs off. It's odd, but just how the coolant temp sensor is located in relation to the heater core and the thermostat. There's a few theories on why this happens, but it's still odd for those unfamiliar who are used to the opposite affect from previous vehicles. So if you run the heat and see an increase in temp don't be alarmed it's actually fairly normal.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
FWIW, for most of us at least, our cars actually get hotter when you turn on the heater. It can be as much as a 10+ degree swing when on vs off. It's odd, but just how the coolant temp sensor is located in relation to the heater core and the thermostat. There's a few theories on why this happens, but it's still odd for those unfamiliar who are used to the opposite affect from previous vehicles. So if you run the heat and see an increase in temp don't be alarmed it's actually fairly normal.
Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
I had no idea whatsoever if they previous owners ever did any work to the car or not. I didnt have any history of maintenance and carfax is not reliable. So I did some preventive maintenance (or so I thought) and had all this stuff replaced.

Good idea on asking the shop how much dexcool they used, it was at least a jug for sure, due to the larger radiator.
Go to your locall GM dealer and have them pull a maintenance history log for you. It will list every maintenance action ever performed at any GM dealer nationally. you should check that all recalls are performed and if the work was done at GM it will be listed.

The kappas are notorious for having issues with the waterpump that can be very intermittent. They can "go bad" over a long period of time. Slight leak when hot, then nothing when cold. It can cycle many times or only a few times. Then it can catastrophically dump the coolant. Since coolant is going somewhere, visually inspect the side of the engine around the water pump to see if there is any sign of coolant.

If its not coming out of the pump, then it might be air, however there is generally a heat, no heat and intermittent over heating sequence of events that indicates a traveling air bubble. Its worth eliminating that as an issue by using a power fill tool to pull vacume on the system (and verify if there is a leak if it will not hold vacume) and then refilling it. If done properly this method should elinate any air in the closed system

The overflow tank is there to act as the expansion volume for the cooling system. As the coolant heats up it expands. Rather than loose coolant, it is moved into the "over flow" tank which is really just an expansion chamber. The vent hose (black tube) is on the other side of a pressure cap that keeps the coolant inside the overflow tank unless and until the pressure exceeds the set pressure of the cap. It then vents to atmosphere. Generally this is air / coolant mixture and to avoid getting crap inside the engine bay, the hose directes it to the ground.

The other possible reasons for loss of coolant are not as nice. You could have a leaking head gasket. If the engine is running rough, or there is fluid coming out the tail pipe then its possible that coolant is making its way into the combustion chamber and then out the exhaust. Easy to check with a compression test. If there is a head gasket failure it will generally show up readily as low compression on one of the cylinders. You can also perform a leak down test which is a different way to determine the integrity of the piston seal.

Rarely, very rarely, there have been failures of the block casting. This is very unlikely but if you run through the other tests and done find a cause, then its something to consider.

Good luck and hope you have a good outcome soon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My temps have always been about 196 and I’ve been driving my
Sky every day fkr the past three months now- the other day the temp went up to 225 and then went back down. I did have the heat on but never saw temps that high. I let it run in my
Driveway to try to get the temp to go back up but it now tops off at 209 at times but mostly stays between 196 and 205
With the heat on. I’ve read all the coolant temp
Posts and can’t figure out why it did that one day- scared the heck outta me

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
My temps have always been about 196 and I’ve been driving my
Sky every day fkr the past three months now- the other day the temp went up to 225 and then went back down. I did have the heat on but never saw temps that high. I let it run in my
Driveway to try to get the temp to go back up but it now tops off at 209 at times but mostly stays between 196 and 205
With the heat on. I’ve read all the coolant temp
Posts and can’t figure out why it did that one day- scared the heck outta me
What was your driving pattern right before it went up?

If I am driving highway or back roads I will see 195-205, but if I am doing that then drive a bit at 45-50 and then stop or do some stop and go I will see 220+ until the fan spools up and brings it back down to "normal".

I understand why we do it, but we really do get too obsessed with temperature readings.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I understand why we do it, but we really do get too obsessed with temperature readings.
I was thinking the same thing.

I wonder how an analog temperature gauge would behave in a Kappa. Maybe that is why Kappas don't have one.

·
Registered
171 Posts

If I am driving highway or back roads I will see 195-205, but if I am doing that then drive a bit at 45-50 and then stop or do some stop and go I will see 220+ until the fan spools up and brings it back down to "normal".

I was in my way to work and driving slow. I was sitting at a light and a running parked car was next to me so maybe the heat from that cars engine made my temp go up

·
Registered
171 Posts

Today on the way to work - driving normally snd have the heater on but the heater fan (blower motor) not on- my temps steadily climbed up to 235 and then went down quickly to 199

I have never sent his high of a coolant temperature ever. Now take note that it’s about 69-72 degrees here now and during the summer when outside temps were in the high 90’s my car never got over 205. Very concerned and sorrie

John - this morning I had a similar issue except the car went up to 235 and then went back to 199- as this is now my daily driver I am very worried and not sure what to do about it
Was driving normally and actually pretty slowly

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Today on the way to work - driving normally snd have the heater on but the heater fan (blower motor) not on- my temps steadily climbed up to 235 and then went down quickly to 199

I have never sent his high of a coolant temperature ever. Now take note that it’s about 69-72 degrees here now and during the summer when outside temps were in the high 90’s my car never got over 205. Very concerned and sorrie

John - this morning I had a similar issue except the car went up to 235 and then went back to 199- as this is now my daily driver I am very worried and not sure what to do about it
Was driving normally and actually pretty slowly
I get my highest temperatures when driving slowly, because there is less air going over the radiator. I will routinely see 220-225 before it comes down, so i don't think you need to panic.

Have you checked the radiator to see if there is something - leaves, plastic bag, etc - in front of it?

The fact that it comes back down to 199 tells me you are not in serious danger.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I get my highest temperatures when driving slowly, because there is less air going over the radiator. I will routinely see 220-225 before it comes down, so i don't think you need to panic.

Have you checked the radiator to see if there is something - leaves, plastic bag, etc - in front of it?

The fact that it comes back down to 199 tells me you are not in serious danger.
Thank you - it seems to happen when I have the heat selector to the red instead of the blue

I thought I read somewhere that the engine will re-route the coolant to increase its temp for more efficient cabin heating if they dial is turned to red
But 235? Seems excessive

I can see there’s nothing blocking the intercooler but that’s all I can see

21 - 30 of 30 Posts