Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have read most of the GMOS posts but there's one question I havent seen asked before. According to the new instructions:

I need to "Connect the Blue/White wire to the amp turn on wire. This wire must be connected to hear sound from the factory amplifier."

Where is the factory amp turn-on wire? What color is it coming from the factory harness?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,657 Posts
Hey everyone. I have read most of the GMOS posts but there's one question I havent seen asked before. According to the new instructions:

I need to "Connect the Blue/White wire to the amp turn on wire. This wire must be connected to hear sound from the factory amplifier."

Where is the factory amp turn-on wire? What color is it coming from the factory harness?

Thanks
Pink. Connector X1, Pin3

It is only used with the Monsoon system.
08-11-234-5 Radio Connectors.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, I think I screwed up. I have the rear waterfall cover with the cutout/grill for the subwoofer, so I bought the LAN04 thinking I have the monsoon with sub. Well, I pulled the cover off and I dont have the sub, despite being a redline!!!!????

So the question is, can I use the LAN04 or do I need to swap everything over to the LAN03? It sucks because I have already soldered and heatshrink wrapped the harnesses together.

Am I even amplified by an external monsoon amp?

Ugh

·
Registered
639 Posts
You will not have a monsoon amp. Monsoon was an option on all cars. I can't answer the question though as to whether you will be or won't be okay. I pulled all of my factory stuff out of my car last summer and put complete aftermarket into mine.

Have you pulled the waterfall panel off???? If so, the amp would be behind the driver's seat under the waterfall panel.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will not have a monsoon amp. Monsoon was an option on all cars. I can't answer the question though as to whether you will be or won't be okay. I pulled all of my factory stuff out of my car last summer and put complete aftermarket into mine.

Have you pulled the waterfall panel off???? If so, the amp would be behind the driver's seat under the waterfall panel.
Obviously I was mistaken in my assumption that redlines/GXPs all had monsoon stock. I am wiring a rearview camera and reusing the XM antenna for the new Alpine 207 I am installing (so had to run a new antenna harness for the SXM OE antenna) and while running the cable I pulled the right side of the waterfall where the sub grill is and found that I dont have the factory sub assembly and speaker.

·
Super Moderator
6,657 Posts
Obviously I was mistaken in my assumption that redlines/GXPs all had monsoon stock. I am wiring a rearview camera and reusing the XM antenna for the new Alpine 207 I am installing (so had to run a new antenna harness for the SXM OE antenna) and while running the cable I pulled the right side of the waterfall where the sub grill is and found that I dont have the factory sub assembly and speaker.
Lack of a sub pretty much ensures no Monsoon, but you can also check your RPO list in the glovebox for UQ3.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Not found, guess I should have checked that first.. Newbie mistake
Talk about Newbie mistakes. I was the master at generating them last year. I am so grateful for the patience of some forum members here who walked me through so many issues I sought to overcome with my Sky. I'm not done yet with my Sky, but I am getting close. The remaining stuff is "text book" maintenance and repairs, none of concern, just normal wear and tear stuff for a Sky with 121,000 miles.

I regret not taking "before" pics. I took THESE AFTER PICS at the end of the driving season last November, moments just before winter storage.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
same here gramps, appreciate the patience and understanding from guys like you and John. Love that blue color, wish I could have found an RL in that blue or white. But these cars are getting rarer and rarer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

@The_Ghost Ghost, how did you run the speaker wire for the tweeters from the door to the head unit? I have been poking around and cant find a way to run the cable from inside the door thru the jamb and into the A-pillar.

Ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm curious that you said you had the sub grille behind the passenger seat, but no sub? That would be a first for me as you should of just had molded pockets instead behind each seat if you didn't have the UQ3 RPO code (Monsoon 7 speaker system). I wonder if your waterfall panel was swapped out by a PO.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm curious that you said you had the sub grille behind the passenger seat, but no sub? That would be a first for me as you should of just had molded pockets instead behind each seat if you didn't have the UQ3 RPO code (Monsoon 7 speaker system). I wonder if your waterfall panel was swapped out by a PO.
well, from the cobwebs behind it and how tough it was to pull out I'd say its the factory piece. I didnt fully pull it off, only the corner and only far enough for me to run wires to the trunk and away from the seatbelt mechanism. I was surprised to, but I guess mistakes happen.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
@The_Ghost Ghost, how did you run the speaker wire for the tweeters from the door to the head unit? I have been poking around and cant find a way to run the cable from inside the door thru the jamb and into the A-pillar.

Ideas and suggestions are appreciated.
Putting on my "Ghost" hat, you can run wires from the doors, through the bellows to the outside corners of the firewall, and then from there into the high footwell area inside the car (there are holes/grommets if you look). Take one end of the bellows out first and stretch it (them) straight, before fishing the wire through and then reattach the end of the bellows afterwards.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Putting on my "Ghost" hat, you can run wires from the doors, through the bellows to the outside corners of the firewall, and then from there into the high footwell area inside the car (there are holes/grommets if you look). Take one end of the bellows out first and stretch it (them) straight, before fishing the wire through and then reattach the end of the bellows afterwards.
Thanks, I'll try. I've been looking around and cant find where the grommets are. Guess I need to remove some more paneling.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I purchased new a late production '08 Redline that had the subwoofer grill but not the monsoon system. My current Redline is an early '08 and did not have the grill or the molded pockets (that I can remember}.

·
Registered
479 Posts
well, from the cobwebs behind it and how tough it was to pull out I'd say its the factory piece. I didnt fully pull it off, only the corner and only far enough for me to run wires to the trunk and away from the seatbelt mechanism. I was surprised to, but I guess mistakes happen.
I purchased new a late production '08 Redline that had the subwoofer grill but not the monsoon system. My current Redline is an early '08 and did not have the grill or the molded pockets (that I can remember}.
To be clear y'all are saying your cars came with this rear waterfall panel with the sub grille, but no sub?

And not this rear waterfall panel with two pockets?

I'm genuinely intrigued by this, I don't think I've ever heard of this incident happening.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes sir that is correct, I have the first one, the cover with the grill for the sub, but no sub, no amp.

Oh, and I dont have the waterfall cup holders either. I just have a blank panel there

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yes sir that is correct, I have the first one, the cover with the grill for the sub, but no sub, no amp.

Oh, and I dont have the waterfall cup holders either. I just have a blank panel there
It sounds like you own a 2009 model year because the waterfall dual cup holder was deleted in 2009. I also wonder if you got one built at the tail end of Sky production. Maybe the factory ran out of the dual pocket version and installed the subwoofer version to use up what they had on-hand. I imagine some things would have gotten a bit sloppy after the announcement that Saturn would soon be history.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts