Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Correct gramps, a 2009, sorry if I neglected to mention it. I've been looking for the build sheet but its literally impossible. I would have liked to know when it rolled off the line.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Yes the later models came with the speaker grill, even if without Monsoon. Cost-cutting measure, I assume.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok, last piece of this puzzle and I can start assembling everything. The Alpine harness as leads for "reverse" (the thick green wire in the passenger door sill), "brake" and VSS (speed sensor). Where do these last two go? The harness says not to literally wire it to the parking brake. I looked at mmartin's video and some other links but nothing i've seen (yet) shows either a brake or speed sensor wire being connected.

Thanks again everyone, appreciate the patience.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ok, last piece of this puzzle and I can start assembling everything. The Alpine harness as leads for "reverse" (the thick green wire in the passenger door sill), "brake" and VSS (speed sensor). Where do these last two go? The harness says not to literally wire it to the parking brake. I looked at mmartin's video and some other links but nothing i've seen (yet) shows either a brake or speed sensor wire being connected.

Thanks again everyone, appreciate the patience.
I thought I remember there being a brake wire, but I don’t recall there being a VSS wire on our car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
These two threads have contradictory information on the VSS, not sure how to test which one is the correct one. Still cant find where to tap for the "brake"

·
Registered
470 Posts
These two threads have contradictory information on the VSS, not sure how to test which one is the correct one. Still cant find where to tap for the "brake"

OK. I apologize I didn't even consider picking up the VSS from the ECM. I didn't believe there was a connection in the factory harness, but this link seems to mention there being a wire.

VSS Wire?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
OK. I apologize I didn't even consider picking up the VSS from the ECM. I didn't believe there was a connection in the factory harness, but this link seems to mention there being a wire.

VSS Wire?
Thanks steve, no need to apologize. This is the third link I see where they show a different wire. I'm seriously confused now. Do I need it? Do I NOT need it?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks steve, no need to apologize. This is the third link I see where they show a different wire. I'm seriously confused now. Do I need it? Do I NOT need it?
Is there any purpose other than speed volume control that you need this wire? I know I did not hook this one up when I did mine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Is there any purpose other than speed volume control that you need this wire? I know I did not hook this one up when I did mine.
Apparently it helps with GPS location accuracy and elevation changes, so its not just volume auto up/down. Have you noticed anything "off" by not having it wired in?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Apparently it helps with GPS location accuracy and elevation changes, so its not just volume auto up/down. Have you noticed anything "off" by not having it wired in?
My HU doesn't have GPS it uses Carplay for maps. I believe it did have the option for volume speed control, but since I didn't wire it, I don't have it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My HU doesn't have GPS it uses Carplay for maps. I believe it did have the option for volume speed control, but since I didn't wire it, I don't have it.
The alpine 207 has a GPS antenna but no built-in maps either. The external GPS antenna there to take over that function instead of the phone while using AA/CP (apparently) so it says it needs the VSS.

I spoke to a stereo shop in town and they werent sure. I'll talk to one of the bigger shops and ask them about it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts