Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, so much for "Saturn, A Different Kind of Car Company." My dealership, which is owned by the same guy that owns Ernest's dealership, has decided to alter their original plan for ordering Skys for their customers. Instead of ordering the car as we described (in writing back in early October in my case) in order of our spots in line (I'm #3), my dealership is going to order fully loaded Skys, add options such as pinstriping, tinting, sealant...and jack the price up above MSRP! I could've sworn I had my salesman write MSRP on my paperwork, but I must've imagined it! Back in October, we didn't have any pricing released on the Sky, so I couldn't get an actual number on paper.

They (Saturn of Hurst in Fort Worth, TX and Saturn of Arlington) are going to order their first 20 or so Skys fully loaded and jack up the price. After 20, they think they will get back to ordering specifically what each customer wants but they didn't say whether they were going to go back to MSRP.

I believe these dealers are shooting Saturn in the foot! I have never stepped foot in a Saturn dealership before because they've never appealed to me until the Sky. So obviously this car seems to be attracting a new group of customers. But when us Saturn newbies see that they are acting just like every other greedy dealer out there, it makes me wonder if they really are a different kind of car company!

So now I too am out in the barren waste lands of Sky waiting lists a mile long looking for one of the dealerships that are still holding true to at least my perceived notion of what Saturn was all about!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
2 Posts
TexaSky said:
Well, so much for "Saturn, A Different Kind of Car Company." My dealership, which is owned by the same guy that owns Ernest's dealership, has decided to alter their original plan for ordering Skys for their customers. Instead of ordering the car as we described (in writing back in early October in my case) in order of our spots in line (I'm #3), my dealership is going to order fully loaded Skys, add options such as pinstriping, tinting, sealant...and jack the price up above MSRP! I could've sworn I had my salesman write MSRP on my paperwork, but I must've imagined it! Back in October, we didn't have any pricing released on the Sky, so I couldn't get an actual number on paper.

They (Saturn of Hurst in Fort Worth, TX and Saturn of Arlington) are going to order their first 20 or so Skys fully loaded and jack up the price. After 20, they think they will get back to ordering specifically what each customer wants but they didn't say whether they were going to go back to MSRP.

I believe these dealers are shooting Saturn in the foot! I have never stepped foot in a Saturn dealership before because they've never appealed to me until the Sky. So obviously this car seems to be attracting a new group of customers. But when us Saturn newbies see that they are acting just like every other greedy dealer out there, it makes me wonder if they really are a different kind of car company!

So now I too am out in the barren waste lands of Sky waiting lists a mile long looking for one of the dealerships that are still holding true to at least my perceived notion of what Saturn was all about!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
not surprised, every dealership does that, which is unethical
I was in a Honda dealership in San Jose, the new Civic Si, MSRP at $20k exact, they added $4000 market adjustment, another $4000 on upgrades, and guess what those upgrades are? fog light, rims, splash guard. I simply will not tolerate those kinda dealership nor I'll ever spend my money there.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sorry to hear it TexasSky now you see what it stands for GM= Greedy Mongers. I had the same deal about a month ago in Houston, my salesman informed me on a routine call that they would be going for 2K over invoice. I drove to my dealership the very next day to get my deposit back and my salesman went in back ( you know the room where they pretend to talk to their boss- ha ha ) and came back and agreed to sell it at MSRP however the only option he couldnt quote me pricing for was window tinting. Ill wait & see how that pans out. I haved contacted Saturn directly (1-800-553-6000)and they have advised me that if you dont like what you hear from your salesman, talk to the sales manager, if that dont work talk to the general manager & if that didnt work call Saturn back. ( I dont know what they can do but its something Ill try if need be) Also check your local dealers website for pricing policy if they have it print it out & hold them to it. Mine had an older version & I think that is what helped me. Good Luck in whatever happens.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Wow.... sounds as if the bad brothers are doing what is natural (trying to get the most buck wherever they can) and the good brothers have no choice but to tell on them.... WELL, I AM A TATTLER.... that isnt right. Saturns "POLICY" should be just that.... STRAIGHT POLICY FOR ALL..... not just pick and choose.... ok.. i am done ranting. SkyBaby-07

Bluestone or midnight blue
leather
kickbutt sound system
xm
shiny wheels
AND I WILL LOOK SO CUTE IN IT... if it ever gets here....

Lic Plt. SkyBaby JUST GOT IT IN YESTERDAY...... I WILL TAKE PICS AS SOON AS I CAN.. AND OF OUR VUE ALSO... HAVE A GREAT DAY ALL....

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I called and it is true, they are planning to do just that. I disagree with that policy. This will have to be worked out between the owner & Gen Mtrs, however I believe I read somewhere in this site that it is against federal law for a auto manufacturer to dictate or control price.

This is a unique set of circumstances surounding this whole SKY launch. It is all apart of the free enterprise system, law of supply & demand. At this time it is a sellers market, and although I don't think it is right, that is just the way it is.

Although I am fortunate enough not to have this problem, I understand that is it is a bad way to attract new customers. I beleive that you should be able to buy the car you want at an afforable price. Therfore if not satisified with the offer, or dealer renigs(sp) on your deal, then find another dealer. There will be people that will be willing to pay the price for the as is SKYs.
After this initial launch I think that the gouging will stop. It is just a natter of how quick you want one. I am not defending either side, just stating my opinions.

I for one am getting my SKY and will continue to do business with Saturn of Arlington, Our long term relationship far exceeds this one incident, and as I am not directly affected by it, can't see the point in ruining a relatiopnship that has been beneficial to both. I realize that not everyone is in the position I am in, and I understand, but my dealer and I have had and always will have a lasting relationship. I beleive int the SAturn product & will continue to purchase them in the future. If you want the SKY now, buy it, if you can't find the right deal that satisfies you, wait, because eventually they will all come down. Even if I didn't have what I got, I would still buy it now, but I have the means to do it. I understand a lot of people aren't in this position, I have been there, I know. Sorry to ramble on, but had to speak my peace. Have a great day yall!!!!!!!:D

ERNEST:thumbs: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I might not be understanding this right . Are you saying that if you ordered a Sky and then placed the options you wanted on it, that you should get it for MSRP? Who pays for the options?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
nighttripper said:
I might not be understanding this right . Are you saying that if you ordered a Sky and then placed the options you wanted on it, that you should get it for MSRP? Who pays for the options?
MSRP is the base price plus destination and shipping AND the FACTORY options....

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
No it is not what I was saying. I ordered mine with the options I wanted
when the dealer got his demo image. The dealer is ordering next allotment of images with all the options and colors already installed. The will get them at the dealer, and and will sell them as is to whoever wants color, etc. They are aleady there, no choices. It isn't the best way to do business I know, but life ain't always fair, someday it will turn around and bite them on the butt! On the other hand they may not find buyers who want exactly what they have and will go elsewhere, leavuing them to eventually come down on price, possibly having to eat the profit. It could happen but more than likely won't, because there is a enough demand and people with money out there to sell them to. It is a sellers market, for sure.:cheers:

ERNEST:thumbs:
+

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Ernest said:
I called and it is true, they are planning to do just that. I disagree with that policy. This will have to be worked out between the owner & Gen Mtrs, however I believe I read somewhere in this site that it is against federal law for a auto manufacturer to dictate or control price.

This is a unique set of circumstances surounding this whole SKY launch. It is all apart of the free enterprise system, law of supply & demand. At this time it is a sellers market, and although I don't think it is right, that is just the way it is.

Although I am fortunate enough not to have this problem, I understand that is it is a bad way to attract new customers. I beleive that you should be able to buy the car you want at an afforable price. Therfore if not satisified with the offer, or dealer renigs(sp) on your deal, then find another dealer. There will be people that will be willing to pay the price for the as is SKYs.
After this initial launch I think that the gouging will stop. It is just a natter of how quick you want one. I am not defending either side, just stating my opinions.

I for one am getting my SKY and will continue to do business with Saturn of Arlington, Our long term relationship far exceeds this one incident, and as I am not directly affected by it, can't see the point in ruining a relatiopnship that has been beneficial to both. I realize that not everyone is in the position I am in, and I understand, but my dealer and I have had and always will have a lasting relationship. I beleive int the SAturn product & will continue to purchase them in the future. If you want the SKY now, buy it, if you can't find the right deal that satisfies you, wait, because eventually they will all come down. Even if I didn't have what I got, I would still buy it now, but I have the means to do it. I understand a lot of people aren't in this position, I have been there, I know. Sorry to ramble on, but had to speak my peace. Have a great day yall!!!!!!!:D

ERNEST:thumbs: :cheers:
I agree with you. I want the Sky, so i will get it. Fortunately we have the means also, but i do feel bad for the "waiters" that are finding out the prices are not quite right what they thought in the beginning. If it is meant to be, it will happen eventually. I am still impatiently waiting.

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE.... JUST NOT ONE OF MINE!!! SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
:Exactly. Mine will be roughly 29K TT&L, or 30K with the extended waranty package. That is fully loaded. Which I willprobably get, it does protect you
later on. I think the mSRP includes the destination and shipping charges. I think I read that somewhere. That price may be a little on the high side, but hey, I can afford it. I have already put the cash aside, in a high interest savings saving account, letting it earn money while I am waiting. Also the fact that gas prices are up also helps!:D :cheers:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Ernest said:
No it is not what I was saying. I ordered mine with the options I wanted
when the dealer got his demo image. The dealer is ordering next allotment of images with all the options and colors already installed. The will get them at the dealer, and and will sell them as is to whoever wants color, etc. They are aleady there, no choices. It isn't the best way to do business I know, but life ain't always fair, someday it will turn around and bite them on the butt! On the other hand they may not find buyers who want exactly what they have and will go elsewhere, leavuing them to eventually come down on price, possibly having to eat the profit. It could happen but more than likely won't, because there is a enough demand and people with money out there to sell them to. It is a sellers market, for sure.:cheers:

+
:agree:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
:cheers: Good morning SKY BABY, great to hear from you. I hope yall have the bestest of days. Thanks for understanding. It is this simple, it you want it bad enough, which I do, and you have the means to buy it, buy it. If you can't afford it now, let the price come down. Which I beleive it will later. It ain't fair, but that is free enterprise!!!:D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I believe in the Solstice forum at the onset Lutz talked of affordability as to the reason they priced the Solstice so low. After listening to the way things are going now it seems they want to do the opposite with the Sky just MHO:cool:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Either way,,,,,,, i just cant wait for mine to get here..... i am wayyyy tooo antsy. :willy: SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
102 Posts
Free enterprise yes.
Still a tricky model to rollout.

From Saturn's General Manager Jill Lajdziak's released speech on 1/18/06.

"But our brand is about much more than just product.
It is also about the exceptional personal relationships that we build - no matter where people touch our brand.
Saturn is a brand that's honest.
Saturn is a brand you trust - before, during and after the sale.
It is a brand that's been built on the power of strong, lasting relationships."

Full text here:
http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5156

Meanwhile, anyone subscribe to the print version of AutoNews to verify
a claim on page 45 of the 1/30/06 issue?
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26184&page=1&pp=20

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Hmmmm.... no subscribing... what is the CLAIM? SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
102 Posts
SkyBaby said:
Hmmmm.... no subscribing... what is the CLAIM? SkyBaby-07
Found it.
Classified ad, searched for vehicles wanted.
Always going to be some amount of this going on somewhere.
Don't indict a whole group of folks over a couple of incidents.
Just note that there are market pressures.

"WANTED
SATURN SKY
ALLOCATION
$500 OVER
M.S.R.P.
call . . . (name removed)
(number removed)
Saturn of Baton Rouge"

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
twirp said:
Sorry to hear it TexasSky now you see what it stands for GM= Greedy Mongers. ...
Hey hey, GM has very little control over their dealership network. The "greedy" part is at the dealer level. If GM were the greedy one, you'd see a $28,000 invoice price for the car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts