Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following jdigiant’s lead (http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5854) I have gone through and dealt with those obnoxious and glaring warning messages on the Sky’s sun visors.

As recommended by jdigiant’s post, I used a product called Plasti-Dip Spray in black. Though I could not find the product at any of the big box hardware superstores in the area so I bought it online and it came to about 9 dollars with shipping.

Before beginning I had the following items for my craft time fun:
  • Plasti-Dip Spray (black)
  • Paint trimming tape
  • Razor Blade
  • L-Wrench set (to remove and reattach visors)
  • Cardboard/Newspaper

I removed the visors by unscrewing the single anchor screw in the back of the visor.

Next I taped the more unique visor across the sliding mirror panel.

I then used a razor blade to cut around the panel leaving tape only on the sliding panel. I then taped around the sides, back, and top of the visor.

The visor has a convenient gap between the middle of the top side and bottom side of the visor. You can place tape barely inside that gap and then fold around it to fit it perfectly around the bottom of the visor. At this point you should be salivating over the thought of no longer having to see those ugly warnings.

Next I coated the visors in a layer of the product. Make sure you are careful of wind/dust/bugs which may stick to the visors while they are wet.

The can recommends 3-4 coats but I found it took about double that to really get rid of the outline of warnings. Also don’t spray the product on too thick, be patient, it dries fast (20 minutes) and you can add another coat.

I then let the visors sit overnight.

I installed them the next day and everything looks great.

I don’t know if heat will be a factor for the spray staying on, but I will update this thread if I notice anything.

Hope that helps.

~SC2

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't think the heat will bother that plastic dip. I used it in the bowl of a metal bird bath and it still looks good after 4 years in the Oklahoma sun.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Very nice. How are the warning labels attached? Are they painted or is there actually a vinyl label of some sort (this was the case with my 3-series but you had to look really closely to see the clear vinyl they used).

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Looks great!!! Thanks for the How To!!!

Regards,

BA...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Careful. You may have violated some law like ripping the label off a mattress. But I'll be willing to take that risk.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Careful. You may have violated some law like ripping the label off a mattress. But I'll be willing to take that risk.
At worst Im assuming that I am in a way assuming the risk associated with airbag deployment and lose any claim that I wasn't properly informed by the car manufacturer. Also the warning relates to small children (and I dont plan to have one of those anytime soon... knock on fake plastic visor).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well done demo. I however personally do not have a problem with the label. Unless this forum mentions them, I don't even think about it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
:thumbs: I live in Phoenix and did this to my visors more than 2 months ago. We hit 110+ several times after this was done and I've had no peeling or flaking at all. They look as good as the day they dried.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
These labels never really bothered me--Hmm, but the french part certainly does--Can I just black out the palivu part??:confused:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for the how-to! It's definitely on my list of things to do...:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think the heat will bother that plastic dip. I used it in the bowl of a metal bird bath and it still looks good after 4 years in the Oklahoma sun.
:thumbs: I live in Phoenix and did this to my visors more than 2 months ago. We hit 110+ several times after this was done and I've had no peeling or flaking at all. They look as good as the day they dried.
Good to know, I guess heat wont be a problem then, thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
here's a real stupid question...

are those visors asymetrical, can they be swapped from one side to another?

I can't tell by looking, but I know someone has experimented out there.

and BTW, those visors came out great.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here's a real stupid question...

are those visors asymetrical, can they be swapped from one side to another?

I can't tell by looking, but I know someone has experimented out there.

and BTW, those visors came out great.
Im not sure, but I think you technically could swap them, as Reed's thread showed (http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6706) his car was actually built with the mirrors reversed, and though they don't line up perfectly, they still at least function fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nope. Tried switchin' them.....they didn't fit quite right.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
The problem with switching them is that they don't fit in the indentations right- that's what made me notice (and care.) The visors will overlap about 1/16 - 1/8th of an inch and cause them not to sit flush.

SC2, they came out great! Now I'm going to have to drive down to DC ad convince you to do mine! :lol:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Has anyone else found the visors to be useless? They don't seem to block the sun unless it's directly in your face. I hope the aftermarket comes out with something soon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
More visor labels gone

I also painted over the ugly visor labels.
Used a paint for plastic by Rust-oleum.
Worked well. :)
Looks even better in daylight. I had to take a flash photo, since it is raining outside.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts