Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
That would be labor day weekend, pretty sure. Start of College Football. Not going to miss that for any reason. Some great games on Saturday. Sunday I could make it though I think.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Bad health from car accident from last year.

I want to buy the chip and rent the cable. I do not have a lap top.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Razz,
Sorry to hear about the accident, hope you are getting better.

Will need to check with Robo, but I think I have the cables for both HPTuners and the one Trifecta uses if not the same. I had ordered one from Trifecta and I got the HP tuners stuff when I bought the Mallett.

·
Super Moderator
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yea Razz, we got laptops to get you tuned. Hope you have been getting better. I believe I remember you mentioning something about the accident last you were on here.

Skersfan, I need to talk to you about how HP Tuners works with credits on cars. Usually it comes with 6 credits and our cars are 2 credits PER ECM. You can get an entire model year or entire model line up but that gets pricey. Credits are $50 each. I paid my for 4 credits to get my car hooked up to my buddy's HP Tuners. 2 were for the first ECM which then promptly died and another 2 for the new ECM.

So while we could get Razz hooked up on HP Tuners, he still would need the tune. May just be cheaper for him to go the HP Tuners route with the cable. I have a laptop that will be able to tune him using that if that's what he wants to do.

I didn't know that was labor day weekend...though I should have...but I'm good with that weekend if no one else has a problem with it.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
I just meant he was able to use the stuff I got if he wanted to. I still have a some credits left, not sure if DDM used that stuff or not. I know I bought the trifecta specific cable.

·
Super Moderator
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
The way the credits work skersfan is that when you decide to use the tuner on a car, it needs credits to "unlock" that car. You can read the tune, scan the car, and change the tune but if you want to save that tune for the car you downloaded it from, it has to be unlocked. In theory, I could download your Mallett tune, copy it over to MY ECM's tune and then write that to my car since MY ECM tune is unlocked even though, on my HP Tuners, your Mallett isn't unlocked. Once a car is unlocked, you don't have to use any more credits on it unless you physically change the ECM.

Now you can also get model year tunes, allowing you to tune any 2007 Sky with a 2.4 for example, for (I want to say) 6 credits. To do the same thing with a 2007 Solstice 2.4, you'd need 6 more credits. I think they may offer a special so that if you want to tune ANY Kappa, it's one big purchase of credits but I don't know anyone who has done that.

So DDM wouldn't have needed to use any credits if they used a tuner they have or used the HP Tuner you have. You would only need credits if you wanted to hook your tuner up and tune any other car. Right now, your HP Tuner interface only has your Mallett unlocked on it. (Granted you COULD add the yellow car and Skittles to it and use up your other 4 credits...)

For Razz to use the HP Tuners cable (which I believe Dave at DDM can send a HP Tuner file for the update) he would need to use 2 of your credits to use your HP Tuners to upload it. Once they are used, they're used and if Razz wouldn't be tuning his car after the initial upload, you would have 2 credits tied to his car and his car alone. Hence unless he wanted to tweak the tune after uploading (or wanted to spend the $100 on buying 2 more credits for you) he may be better off just renting the cable and borrowing the laptop.

·
Super Moderator
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, the date is set to Sept 3-4, 2016. All my parts are ordered. Springs and fuel rail are here. Cat and Charge Pipe are on their way. Fuel pump should be going out next week.

I also have a technical surprise for the built...more details to follow.

My understanding is Jim will be coming too with all his suspension bits so if you are interested in how the Pro-Beam, Venom brace and Backbone brace go on (though they are pretty easy) we'll be doing those too.

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Can't wait!! Feeling like a virgin on prom night!!

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
No, not this time, so I'll be an extra set of hands to help out. Love these Kappa meets!!

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
I have not decided which car I am bringing. But it will involve re doing the tune on them. I have an update from DDM for the Mallett and may just go the DDM tune on my Skpel or Skytlls. I think all other mods are done on the Sky's, and the Mallett is a no MOD car as you well know Robo!!! I need to go see if the Mallett is still in the garage. Haven't looked at it since we took it to Tuxies.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Well at least we have done the fan install before Robo. I now will be adding the trunk mod as I purchased the widget from Germany to lift the trunk lid with the damper (if we have time).

We talk about "Mod Day" and agreed on Sept 3rd-4th weekend but I dont think we chose the 3rd or the 4th specifically (unless its gonna turn into two days!). Any particular day that works best? I may want to bring my jack and stands down to you ahead of time (and can bring ramps, extra tools etc.) so we have extra lifting abilities. Hoping we can coordinate around your neighbors Robo, so as not to tick them off (or maybe ply them with wine to borrow their garage space :) )

·
Super Moderator
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Well, I'm actually calling it both days and here is why.

At this time, I think only your car and mine need to be up on jack stands for some of the work we're doing to them. We can only jack them up on concrete (The jack stands will sink into the asphalt...don't ask me how I know this) and thus we can only put one car up at a time. For the suspension stuff on your car, it really needs to be on jack stands and since I'm physically removing my front dampers I have to have it on jack stands. So we will only be putting one car up in the air at a time.

For my car, the fuel pump, fuel rail and charge pipes can all be done on the ground but the cat and front springs require it to be put in the air. For your car, the trunk gadget and Venom brace can be installed on the ground but your car needs to be in the air for the backbone brace and Probeam.

Now, the trick is BOTH our cars need to have a cool exhaust to work on them since we're going to be working around the exhaust on both. Mine will start cold since I'm already at home and won't need to drive it there. Yours will be hot as hell coming in from Elsinore.

Ergo, my plan may be to do my springs and cat while we do the trunk thing and Venom brace on your car then switch them out and do the Probeam and backbone on yours while doing the rail and pump on mine.

HOWEVER...the problem with this plan is I have NO idea how long it's going to take me to do those projects on my car. The cat could have complications necessitating it staying up on stands longer than expected (if the bolts holding it to the turbo become pain in the azzes and seize or break) and I don't know how long it will take to get the springs on and set properly (ride height is going to be the fun one here with the softer springs). Thus your mods would be delayed possibly until Sunday which I don't want to make you stay the night.

SO, my plan is to get your car in the garage first, get it up in the air, do the trunk and Venom brace while the exhaust cools (with the help of maybe a fan or two) and then tackle the Probeam and Backbone. Get that all done, then do my car. If there is a major problem with my car though, I'm going to have to make an emergency run to the dealer (or order parts ahead of time) and my car may be up on the stands overnight...which is fine since, well, I live there and will be staying there ANYWAY. LOL Then the project can conclude the following day.

So really, the mod day would be the 3rd AND 4th quite possibly. The 3rd would probably be more hectic and full while the 4th is more the Plan B day if things go wrong or take longer than expected on the 3rd.

Plan B...ALWAYS have a Plan B...LOL

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
got it, thanks for the background and the tip about asphalt, as I would not have thought about that! I may want to make a run down to your place the night before to drop off items that could be useful over the weekend, subject to your availability. Will hook up with you closer to the day :)

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
I have pads that can go under jack stands that I use to support my motor home. Doubtful the jacks will go through them. Let me know if you want me to bring them. I can actually get them to you earlier, in case I don't make the mod day. First week end of college football, will depend on who and when they are playing.

First mention here. The Palm Springs run will be the weekend of the 24th-25th of September. Looking at a new route, and may just be to Palm Springs, dropping the Hemet part.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
First mention here. The Palm Springs run will be the weekend of the 24th-25th of September. Looking at a new route, and may just be to Palm Springs, dropping the Hemet part.
Yeah thanks Bob, I know you intentionally booked this knowing I would be out of the country and I really like that run!

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Actually not true. I gave Myrna two dates, she chose this one and never even told me so. I just found out by going to the website. Sorry man! I will get you a shirt for it though. I am having the ones from last year made, as they failed miserably on that. So some will get two shirts at this event. Working on sponsors. Most likely be DDM. Solo Performance and Windrestrictor.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts