Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have figured this out...

You know how those magazines say, "The top is IMPOSSIBLE!" or "It took us TEN MINUTES" to get the top up... Stuff like that?

All of us owners say, "No way! Thirty seconds, AT THE MAX."

Well, try THIS next time you want to feel stupid...
  1. Pop the fobber to open the rear deck, and open the deck
  2. Extend the top to the windshield, but don't latch it
  3. Try slamming the deck lid closed
  4. If you get it most of the way, try closing the buttresses
  5. If you force them into the little hole where they don't fit quite right, then try the fobber again to release them... They don't come loose - you have to pry them out
  6. Then conclude that the deck didn't close properly... Try slamming it shut again
  7. It doesn't seat properly, so scratch your head, and cuss
  8. Then try to force the buttresses in again, and ask yourself, "What is WRONG with this damned thing?"
Try it. It happened to me today when I wasn't thinking about it. If you don't latch the top on the windshield before closing the deck, you are in a world of hurt.

How much you wanna bet those lazy-butt auto writers don't read the instructions and just try to do it. Being lazy they figure they'll do all the stupid trunk stuff, then latch the top when they get into the car to drive off?

It don't work that way.

Just for the record...
  1. Pop the deck lid, open the deck all the way
  2. Extend the top to the windshield, and latch it (this most likely requires that you sit on the seat in the car, then get out again; if you have your co-pilot with you, they do it whlie you are outside the car and it's much easier and quicker.)
  3. Close the deck lid
  4. Snap in the buttresses
  5. No problem for those that know what they are doing
Well? Well? What do you think? Am I onto something?

Try it!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Mmm. Not so sure about that.
With your proposed procedure someone would have complained loudly when they jammed the buttresses or would have whined about multiple slams of the trunk.

I can't remember now. (Like remembering tieing shoes).
Did we latch at the front first, or do the rear side snaps on the old converts?
I ask that as if snaps first, maybe there's a reason from other cars to square up the rear first.
(why can't i remember now that i try to picture...)

It is an awfully good question though.
Not sure about the "10" minutes, but what's taking them so long.
Or is it just exageration cause you have to get out of the car?
Maybe that's the next forum game or puzzle.
How could you spend x mins putting up the top?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I was worried about the top, but I have it down...and up in two minutes easy. The key is to think about it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
How does it take longer than 45 seconds?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
cerberus said:
Or is it just exageration cause you have to get out of the car?...
Oh come on now. Magazines and automotive press writers never exaggerate... :rolleyes:

yeah, right... ("ten BILLION TIMES more fun...") :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm short... 5'3" and I have to get out and go around to get both pins in front lined up before I latch it and it STILL doesn't take that long.... :willy:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Yo LOON, iffen you be sitting in the seat and pick up the top and lay the line up pins on the standoffs then cinch it up with the locking handle, you will find that it cuts down on your time by 10 seconds. That is the way I taught myself . I can put top up in 45 seconds and that is with oxygen bottle aswinging. Skip....tired ol ******* from the South....:lol: :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts