Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stubby B antenna, but have poor reception here. I experimented with the stock antenna and it has much better reception. I do listen to radio on occassion, and am curious if any stubby antenna's get reception as good as the stock antenna?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have the stubby B antenna, but have poor reception here. I experimented with the stock antenna and it has much better reception. I do listen to radio on occassion, and am curious if any stubby antenna's get reception as good as the stock antenna?
Well the saying it's not the size, it's how you use it does not apply to antenna's. That said, the larger antennas will get better reception. Different headunits can manage better with less reception. The best solution is just to get XM radio. After you've had it for a few months you'll never listen to the regular radio again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well the saying it's not the size, it's how you use it does not apply to antenna's. That said, the larger antennas will get better reception. Different headunits can manage better with less reception. The best solution is just to get XM radio. After you've had it for a few months you'll never listen to the regular radio again.
:agree: I love the XM radio --- have 3 or 4 favorites pre-set and can always find a great tune to listen to.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have it and already signed up, that and 6000 tunes on Ipod, just hoping I missed something out there.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have the stubby "B" also...but my reception has been good. I'm actually kinda surprised that yours has been poor...with you living in Florida, I would think that your reception would be good considering it's pretty flat there. I live just outside Chicago, and sometimes I will get some 'fading' on a few local stations...but nothing worth complaining about. Have you tried extending the antenna to it's full length? I'm pretty sure the "B" is adjustable, am I right?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I live just outside Chicago, and sometimes I will get some 'fading' on a few local stations...but nothing worth complaining about.
We're lucky here in that regard. All the stations brag about pumping out however many bagillion watts to cancer causing levels so we can all hear our music many miles away:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I also have the B antenna and there's only one spot on the freeway that "fades"....and that's just 5 seconds or so. Phoenix is a valley so I really didn't expect issues around town, but I also drove up north (thru mountains) and the radio seemed to hang in longer than I expected. At least as long as with the stock antenna.

I guess you'd be better off directly comparing with people in your general area because the terrain seems to make a big difference.

Love the way my B looks though!

·
Registered
197 Posts
After I broke off the stubby antannae putting stuff in the trunk, I put the original back on. Will keep using the GM original since one of the stations I listen to mostly is a bit distant from me and the original pulls that station in better.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Another option - check your local Best Buy / Circuit City installer

I picked up a cheap ($12), approximate 14" antenna from Best Buy, one of the very flexible kind (like a piece of black hose). It was a full antenna kit for $12, including the mounting and wiring. I just unscrewed it from the base and put in on the other mount. It works excellent in Milwaukee, WI - I can even pick up several Madison stations 60 miles away!! :thumbs: Brand was AntennaWorks.

I'm not sure how flexible the other shorties are, but this is now so swept back from freeway driving that even when parked, it makes the car look fast! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Loving it...

I'm not sure how flexible the other shorties are, but this is now so swept back from freeway driving that even when parked, it makes the car look fast! :cool:
Looks like you're still doing 65 mph... Love that look...:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbs:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess Florida stations are not that great, looked it up on Google and (prepare yourself for blasphemy) the Miata forums suggest the J or Z model.

The thing I noticed today most was all my stations had the station info and song information today. Have not seen that except on one before today:cool: so the stock Antenna does work alot better. I will check out Best Buy here, and look over that Antenna wife kinda gave me that face...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
225 Posts
For what i listen to, mostly rock, i personally can't stand XM. I sell both sirius and XM where i work and i always find good stuff on sirius. Just my preference but I think XM is pretty awful, I know a lot of you like it, just not my cup of tea. I say go siruis if you're going to do either.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I will check out Best Buy here, and look over that Antenna wife kinda gave me that face...:rolleyes:
My wife gave me the same face when I said the antenna was "too high". :rolleyes:

Come on GM, putting that big, radio tower on a Sky is like having a NASA reflecting dish on your roof trying to pick up the dirty cable channels for free...:jester:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts