Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know of an accessory that can be found to cover the antenna mount if it were to be removed? I will be getting XM and would like to take the radios antenna off.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
just get a shorty...something covering the mount would almost look like it had a wart or something

·
Registered
820 Posts
If you remove it completely you will lose FM/AM completely. Some people have put an auto antenna, I think this would be a better idea, or even a black stubby to match the one in the back.....:thumbs:

·
Registered
63 Posts
When you remove the antenna all together, the hole in the body is not a standard hole but has additional material removed to allow the 'dogs' of the antenna to pass through.
Plus, if it is like my car was, the person that installed the antenna must have been pissed that day as the panel underneath was dinged up.
A basic rubber grommet won't cover it. A stubby or power unit will be best.

The ONLY power antenna that will fit in this car is a Metra PW-6. Look it up under the Crutchfield name if only to view the pictures. They are the only site that allows you to make the image really large.
Metra is the supplier of ALL power units across the board. I had the next size up that came for a Miata and it doesn't fit. This PW-6 is the only way to go until GM changes the interior of the skin.
PM me if you go this way and want to torrid details on how and where this unit goes.
For me not using local radio hardly at all it was the perfect fit for me.
It's taller than stock when up and yes, it makes noise like the stock one does. But....
If you are going down the road with the top down, you need the volume up enough to hear it right? If so then you won't be hearing the antenna at all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. And of course like most of us I'm still waiting for Santa or the Easter Bunny to deliver my toy. :jester:

Reactions: Desertangel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah someone broke mine off. Insurance sent me to a really bad place to replace it. They jacked it up worse. They glued some 3 foot piece of crap on it. Im at a loss as what to do at this point. Any suggestions? I dont need it because I have xm radio but don't want this thing on there. I cant use my car cover without cutting a hole in it.

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Yeah someone broke mine off. Insurance sent me to a really bad place to replace it. They jacked it up worse. They glued some 3 foot piece of crap on it. Im at a loss as what to do at this point. Any suggestions? I dont need it because I have xm radio but don't want this thing on there. I cant use my car cover without cutting a hole in it.
Welcome to the forum.

Can you post a picture of it? The mast screws onto the base, so if that connection is still there you may be in luck.
From the description I think that maybe the base has to come off too.

·
Registered
18,022 Posts
This is just harassment...but if u read the OPs post....we do have 2 antennas on our car...it really wasn't specific....of course if your car did not come with XM...then u have only one antenna....just saying to piss u off...LOL

And of course...REMOVAL is spelled incorrectly.

·
Registered
980 Posts
As I recall, replacing or removing the hidden cabled portion of the am/fm radio antenna is not difficult. You will need to remove the inner fender liner to access it. Once removed, you might be able to pop in a black plug to cover the hole properly. But I wonder what would look worse.

As far as a car cover is concerned, buy a standard GM antenna mast that includes a wrench for that very purpose.

·
Registered
18,022 Posts
As I recall, replacing or removing the hidden cabled portion of the am/fm radio antenna is not difficult. You will need to remove the inner fender liner to access it. Once removed, you might be able to pop in a black plug to cover the hole properly. But I wonder what would look worse.

As far as a car cover is concerned, buy a standard GM antenna mast that includes a wrench for that very purpose.
The Sky cover from GM had a grommet so the antenna would slip into it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts