Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Priceing is now available on the new MX-5 and there are some nice options to go along with that!!! some fun options to list are xenons, and a smart key!! and the price is fairly decent on it too. I think there is going to be some big competion between GM and Mazda this/next year!! I cant wait to read the reviews and test drive these babys!!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
enderokc said:
Priceing is now available on the new MX-5 and there are some nice options to go along with that!!! some fun options to list are xenons, and a smart key!! and the price is fairly decent on it too. I think there is going to be some big competion between GM and Mazda this/next year!! I cant wait to read the reviews and test drive these babys!!!
Your right, Mazda has kept pricing somewhat competitive, although it is hard to directly compare some of the option packages based on how options are grouped together on the Sol and MX5 (and even more difficult with the Sky since we don't have clear pricing on it!).

At any rate, I am sure both are going to sell very well, and there will be some competition for buyers. However, I bet there are going to be enough new buyers in the market also that both cars will be able to sell at or above expectations.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Miata Meeyatah

I thought it was kool way way back in 91', but I Personally don't see much change in the Miata over the years to make me even consider it one bit. Now, im open to anything thats hott, I just think that a Miata should come with a remote control, it reminds me of a little RC Car. The Sky and Z4 are that much bigger to impress me substantially. I love the aggressive stance of the Sky as well, not the rounded off outdated look of the Miata-tah. Just preference though. I mean no matter what the car comes with you can add anything at anytime. I wouldn't buy a Ford Focus simply because it included Zenon Lights, how much are those really? I dont buy based on fancy options, but Gm's "On Star", which is actually standard on the Sky is a pretty fancy Feature the miata doesn't come with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love how the sky looks!!! absolutly love it!!! but I just have this feeling that the miata will be a better sports car. the new mx5 isnt that much smaller inside then the sky either. the old one is though!! but the new one is much bigger and it will weigh so much less then the sky. but its all moot right now since there arnt out yet, and there are no performance reviews on either of them. so until then :)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
enderokc said:
Where is the pricing located at? It's not on the mazdausa.com website yet as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Miata

Tru Tru, I did just check out the specs on the new 2006 MX-5 and it is bigger and a little faster than the previous models, but it's now 2500 lbs as well, used to be 2440. I want me a Redline though at about 253hp babee! That's gonna smoke alota cars, That's Kah:willy:razeee:banghead: if not, than the V8 LS2 400hp Corvette engine in the Sky will that Mallettcars is working on. hey, I just can't wait until we both have our hot rides whatever they may be. There both affordable hot roadsters. Making us chick magnets, we'll more so than I already am, lol :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
i personally really appreciate the miata. i dont own one, and i probably never will. but i have driven many of them. i like how they drive, and i can appreciate the strengths and weaknesses. any car will have them. i believe that the miata will be healthy for GM in that it will provide good competition as well as a standard. if GM ever overshadows mazda, then mazda will come back with something better. and if mazda oversteps GM, then GM will have to come back with something better. from where im sitting, this is a good situation to be in.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Here's the information.

$19,995 :Base Solstice
---$400 :ABS
---$625 :power Windows
----$60 :Floor Mats
$21,080 :Total

$20,435 :CS MX-5
---$560 : Destination Charge
$20,995 :Total

Difference: $21,080 - $20,995 = $85

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I couldn't care less about the Miata-- it's just another car in the same category as the one I like. I got over the pissing contest thing back in my Camaro vs. Mustang days.

:cheers:

·
Registered
56 Posts
enderokc said:
Any body worried about the new MX-5??
Nope. I want a Sky because I want a Sky. The MX-5 may be another roadster, but it's not a Sky. :cool:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
look around at all the Miatas out there and see who is driving them... 90% are women drivers... Not Knocking women drivers but, Don't be a Girly man Buy a SKY!!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
brentil said:
Here's the information.

$19,995 :Base Solstice
---$400 :ABS
---$625 :power Windows
----$60 :Floor Mats
$21,080 :Total

$20,435 :CS MX-5
---$560 : Destination Charge
$20,995 :Total

Difference: $21,080 - $20,995 = $85
where is the destination charge and the air conditioning price for the Solstice? I think air is standard in the Miata, also how about 18" wheels and tires on the Miata, they are standard on the Solstice... there are still going to be other differences in equipment that will change the price comparison.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
classic66vair said:
where is the destination charge and the air conditioning price for the Solstice? I think air is standard in the Miata, also how about 18" wheels and tires on the Miata, they are standard on the Solstice... there are still going to be other differences in equipment that will change the price comparison.
  • The destination fee is part of the Solstice's base price.
  • The Club Sport (CS) MX-5 I compared to does not have AC, and it also says "Not Available" which makes me believe you can't have it at all.
  • MX-5 has 17" wheels at the largest and only on the top classes, you can't get them on the CS, CS has 16" wheels
The comparison I gave makes a Solstice option wise compared to the MX-5 CS model which is the cheapest MX-5 available. CS also only has 5-speed manual mkaing it in line with the Solstice. CS also removes leather stearing wheel. According to the info above you also can't get any of the option packages either, which means no sport suspension/LSD upgrades.

·
Registered
36 Posts
best of all SKY is RWD, whole 'nother world if you ask me, RWD puts us into competition with higher class cars than the miata, and i for one will not be keeping it stock. miatas will not be my competition, more like mustangs and GTO's (goal is to be quicker than a C6 at some point since this will be my "fun" car, not a daily driver)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Vita said:
best of all SKY is RWD, whole 'nother world if you ask me, RWD puts us into competition with higher class cars than the miata, and i for one will not be keeping it stock. miatas will not be my competition, more like mustangs and GTO's (goal is to be quicker than a C6 at some point since this will be my "fun" car, not a daily driver)
uh, did you realize that the mx-5 is RWD too?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Vita said:
Obviously someone who knows what they're talking about. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I just read this about the MX-5 on the Cars.com new car preview....

"The MX-5's 2.0-liter four-cylinder develops 170 horsepower at 6,700 rpm. The engine operates with four valves per cylinder and has dual overhead camshafts and variable valve timing. Torque output is 140 pounds-feet at 5,000 rpm. Three transmissions are available: a five-speed manual, six-speed manual and six-speed automatic. The six-speed manual has especially short throws and triple-cone synchronizers for the first four gears. The engine's output dips by 2 hp when it's teamed with the six-speed automatic."

If I remember correctly the Solstice has 177HP at a lower RPM and according to the factory it develops 162 ft pounds of torque, (the more torque you have available at a lower rpm the better for acceleration) most of that is developed below 2400rpm, wihch means the Solstice should give the MX-5 a pretty good run in the 0-60 stop light challenge... which is also better for running road courses, with low speed turns, depending or the gearing, which I have not seen we still may be competitive with the lighter MX-5.. But this is all speculation, I bet some car magazine is already contacting both GM and Mazda to have a head to head test... I can't wait to see what happens...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts