Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now back and forth on this site as well as the Ion Red Line Forum. We still have our 4 Ion Red Lines, myself and older son placed an order for the Sky Red Line back in Aug of 05. We have already taken del of my Wifes Sky and are bidding our time for the Sky Red Line. I am curious if there are any die hard Saturn Fan's who got the bug with the Ion Red Line.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The only thing they really have in common is that they are Saturns with a 2.0L engine. FWD vs RWD is a big difference as is the styling. Supercharged economy car vs turbo charged roadster. The two 2.0Ls really only have their displacement in common, just about every other aspect is different.

Most people who are buying Skys would not be buying a Saturn if it wasn't for the new roadster. I loved my SC2 growing up but I wouldn't exchange my turbo Camaro for a Ion like I will for the Sky Red Line.

But that's the cool thing is that the Kappa cars are bringing all kinds of different people together.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Barry, it's redline14 from the RLforums, and yes I have a RL too!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
bradyb said:
The only thing they really have in common is that they are Saturns with a 2.0L engine. FWD vs RWD is a big difference as is the styling. Supercharged economy car vs turbo charged roadster. The two 2.0Ls really only have their displacement in common, just about every other aspect is different.

Most people who are buying Skys would not be buying a Saturn if it wasn't for the new roadster. I loved my SC2 growing up but I wouldn't exchange my turbo Camaro for a Ion like I will for the Sky Red Line.

But that's the cool thing is that the Kappa cars are bringing all kinds of different people together.
Actually I think the majority people getting Sky's are former loyal Saturn owners like myself. This is probably due to the fact that Saturn owners are more aware of the Sky than others. This poll shows the a slight majority of the people on this forum getting Sky's are previous Saturn Owners.

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3018

There seems to be this image of a Saturn owner as someone who really does not like cars or a car enthusiast. So they are not likely to be people who are interested in buying a enthusiast's car such as the Sky:nono:

My experience has been far from that. Most Saturn owners I know are very enthusiastic about thier cars and love driving them. Saturns are and have been great cars, they just had "low ego emissions" (ala Passat commercials). Everyone who rode in etiher of my SLs or my ION have complimented me on how nice they ride.:thumbs:

The reason we have bought Saturns and not PT Cruisers, Mustangs, etc. is they were not made by Saturn, not because we don't like cool :cool: cars. Now we are in hog heaven! We have the :cool: est car from a company we love! :cheers:

I do agree that the Sky is bringing a wider range of people to Saturn, with the exception of the "Market adjustment" by a small minority of dealers most are finding out what a great company Saturn is to buy a car from!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Sky's paternal tree

To be frank -- based on what I have heard and seen so far - I think The SKY can be traced back to the SC2 (especially pre 1997). It was Saturn's Sports Coupe and much of the design of various parts (I even see some interior touches) of parts of the SKY go back to these early, under rated SC's.

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
This will be my first Saturn and I can say that before the Sky and Ion Redline I would have never considered buying a Saturn. Now, I like the dash layout of the Cobalt SS better than the Ion Redline but still the Ion Redline is what got me interested in Saturn. Before that I just couldn't get excited about their lineup.

I talked to a Salesman at the dealership a couple days ago and I asked him how many people are coming in JUST to see the Sky...and he said about 10-15 per day. He said that the vast majority of them move on and look or buy something else because of practicality issues but I think the Sky is a great move on GM's part to get people interested in and excited about Saturn again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Robotech said:
This will be my first Saturn and I can say that before the Sky and Ion Redline I would have never considered buying a Saturn. Now, I like the dash layout of the Cobalt SS better than the Ion Redline but still the Ion Redline is what got me interested in Saturn. Before that I just couldn't get excited about their lineup.

I talked to a Salesman at the dealership a couple days ago and I asked him how many people are coming in JUST to see the Sky...and he said about 10-15 per day. He said that the vast majority of them move on and look or buy something else because of practicality issues but I think the Sky is a great move on GM's part to get people interested in and excited about Saturn again.

actually i ironically heard the exact OPPOSITE from salesmen in this area (probably the area). the car brings people in but they're ONLY interested in the car, nothing else. or you have the ones who wanted an ION/Vue anyawys and just want to live vicariously for a second ;)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Freakazoid said:
hey barry you have FOUR RL's?? ?who are you on the redlineforums ?
Barry...of course.:)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Smith Family a.JPG
Freakazoid said:
hey barry you have FOUR RL's?? ?who are you on the redlineforums ?

·
Registered
304 Posts
This will be my first Saturn. Outside of the Vue as a second vehicle, I have never liked any of their vehicles. However, looking at some of their future products they may have a new "repeat" customer. :thumbs:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Robotech said:

The interior of the Cobalt SS is much nicer than the ION RL, however I prefer the exterior styling of the RL much much more. And, the RL is .1 seconds faster than the SS (not that makes a difference really), but still, IRL all the way over SS.

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
LOL...actually that is EXACTLY how I feel too. I like the interior of the Cobalt but love the external styling (and the four doors) of the Ion. LOL

Just don't know if I could get over that dash...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts