Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife an I have a MazdaSpeed Miata. 178HP but it is 500 lbs lighter than a SKY we are waiting for the redline for that reason. I love my Miata it is quick and drives great. Has trunk has space which I hear is a problem for the SKY. But a 260HP redline just looks so good.

If you are a former Miata owner what do you think?
mx5.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
Soon to be Former Miata OWner

I have a 1997 Miata, and it is fun to drive, but the styling leaves much to be desired.

I started off with a 1980 Triumph Spitfire (in 1991), which, even though we pulled and rebuilt the engine, was always a worrysome drive from a reliability standpoint - but very fun.

I moved to the Miata because I still wanted a 2-seater convertible, but wanted one that could actually be a daily driver in the summer here - it totally fit the bill. I got a steal on a 1997 (in 2002) that had only 15,000 miles on it. I am selling it now with 22,000 miles.

As soon as I saw the SKY at this year's Detroit Auto Show, I went to my dealer and put in my order. I am still waiting, and hope that early June will see my new car.

I finally got to test drive one when Saturn of Clarkston (MI) got theirs, and I was not disappointed. It is much more solid than my Miata, and feels better around any turn. The styling blows the doors (and the other body panels) off of the Miata and the Solstice for me. ...and the price seals the deal.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Have 2001 Miata, its ok but I have owned TR3A, AH 100-6, 240z, the Miata is very harsh, I like the SKY so much more....Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have always been a fan of the Mazdaspeed Miata...the Turbo sounds awesome when the blow off valve thingger goes Whooooosh

HA HA HA I am sure someone out there is picking up what I am putting down.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought a 99 Miata in the spring of 98 as soon as I could get one and loved the car. I sold it last Dec. to make room for the Sky because I didn't drive it in the winter. I took delivery of my Sky Mar. 29th and it beats the Miata hands down on style but otherwise I think I liked the Miata better. The Miata was quieter, the 5 speed shifted smoother, way more trunk space and didn't lug down as quick in 5th gear. I now have 2000 miles on my Sky and put a deposit down yesterday on a Redline. I'm hoping that they not only add the horsepower but also do some things to refine the car. In the meantime I am enjoying the car every chance I get. I really don't like what they did to the current MX5 styling. :driving:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Go over to our sister site, www.solsticeforum.com and ask Rodeo how he would compare the MazdaSpeed Miata and the Solstice. Since the Solstice is so close in all aspects of driving feel and refinement as the Sky, the comparison would be very valid. He owns two MSM Miatas, and a first 1000 Solstice. He likes both, but admits they are very different in a number of ways.

PS, you could send him a PM on this site too, but he doesn't check in here as often. You may get a hold of him quicker on Solsticeforum.

edit: Actually, I'll just ask him to stop in here and leave you some info if he has a chance.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I prefer the Sky hands down

My 99 Miata is currently listed on Auto Trader. While the Miata nimble, quick and is a fun car to drive it feels light and will not hold the road like the Sky, nor does it ride as well. I am selling the Miata because I do not plan to drive it while my Sky is available. I much prefer the Sky. It has a much heavier feel. No contest in my opinion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
RODEO here.

I own 2 MSMs and a Solstice naturally aspirated, and have driven Gravana's Hahn turbo solstice.

The MSM is a diff beast, you know it's fun, light, agile, and small for large people. I love my MSM, and will be selling one to keep the solstice. the sol with a ecm tune, and some other mods is close to 200Hp, and is a lot of fun.

tough call, but you're gonna miss that MSM - the sol sky drive like a bigger car, which is nice and has draw backs.

I think of it this way.

MSM is like a track car. Not good for trips.
The NA Sol is a great road car.
the turbp sol feels like a small muscle car

good luck!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rodeo thanks that helps. Someone coming to look the speed tomorrow so I'll not be topless until next summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts