Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, before I took delivery of my Sky, the dealer attempted several things to fix a gasket issue on the passenger window. The dealer finally got a gasket that "sorta" worked and let me take it with the understanding that a new top was ordered. Because of that we opted to put the splash guards and get the car detailed when the top came in the following week. That was two weeks ago.

I called Monday to find out the status and was asked what I was talking about by the GM. He did not know of the issue etc. etc. even though I was told it was him that had released the car to me. He told me that he would talk to his service department and have my salesman get back to me Tuesday. I talked to my sales man Tuesday who advised that he was still working on the status, but that I should also call Saturn about the ticket I had when my car sat at the dealer for the first two weeks.

I called Saturn and was told my issue had been escalated to a regional guy, who at least this time did call me Wednesday. I explained to him the issue with the gasket and that although my car was not leaking the passenger window was still unusable. If you roll the window down you have to open the door, roll the window up, then close the door to get it on the proper side of the gasket. If you don't do this the window comes up and on the inside of the gasket.

He told me that he would contact Saturn, had already talked to the dealer, and would call me back Thursday. When he called me back he informed me that I needed to take the Sky in so the service department can investigate the issue further. I was told that my Sky would have to stay at the dealer until the issue is resolved and that there is no time frame when that might be. When I asked for an estimate he informed me as long as a couple weeks to a month he did not know.

I am completely at wits end at this point, the service department already had the Sky two weeks and were unable to fix the car, what makes Saturn think that leaving it there indefinately will make the matter go away. What can I possibly be missing here? I am more then willing to take the Sky in for a dayor two to investigate the issue, but what is the point of leaving it there so that it gets backed out daily and nothing happens?

I am supposed to have a phone conference today with the Service Manager and the Regional guy today. Any thoughts ya'll have on what I should do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Leak

:banghead: I recently had the top replaced on my SKY due to a broken cable on the passenger side wing. Original top DID NOT leak nor were there any problems with the windows. Problems started after top (canvas only) replacement. I was the "guinea pig" as no one at the dealer had done this before. Anyway, 3visits later and the "new" top is still leaking. After the 2nd fix, I had the same problem with the weather stripping on the drivers side, i.e. could not roll up window unless door was open. But the dealer fixed this after the 3rd visit without any problem. My work order simply states "align or replace front door outer seal". I don't know if they replaced it or not but they fixed it. The 3 services for the top encompassed a total of 5 days (1 day, 2 day & 2 days). Prior to the replacement, I asked the service manager if I could take the car to the factory (only a few hours away) but was told no. Service dept stated that if factory had supplied them a complete top (top / mechanism) rather than top only I probably would not be having these problems but GM would not do this!

:mad::banghead:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have had this issue with the window on the wrong side of the seal a couple of times and have discovered (at least in my case) the reason:

When you put the top up, make sure that the little "peg" on the front of the bottom seal is properly seated in the little indention in the body right behind the door windows.

I know that sounds confusing... I'll try to post a couple of pics later.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the hole you refer to, unlike the driver side I kind of had to force it in. Quick test the window still rolls up behind the gasket, but not near as bad as it was...

Still I have decided that they can only have my car a day at a time...Can't be without Matilda much longer then that :)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I found the hole you refer to, unlike the driver side I kind of had to force it in. Quick test the window still rolls up behind the gasket, but not near as bad as it was...

Still I have decided that they can only have my car a day at a time...Can't be without Matilda much longer then that :)
Sounds like your dealer needs to do a little adjusting to the top mechanism.

·
Registered
82 Posts
good luck with getting done as quickly as possible. Not sure about the legal responsibilities of the dealer or GM in such a case but I don't think a loaner car is going to cover your loss you'll still have a nice payment and whatever they give you I don't think it could replace the loss of a SKY. Isn't that why these lists are so long because so many want the car even if it's parked in their garage for the winter

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Regarding the little peg that seats the base of the top at the rear of the window...the passenger side is snug and seems cool. the drivers side is not as smooth as I would like it. Probably a minor adjustment?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

I don't know if this would apply to your particular situation, but...I had a similar problem with the windows not rolling up propery (pinching the seal). My dealer did an 'adjustment' on the window...said that when they are shipped from the factory, they are set to a specific 'tilt'...so they adjusted this so-called 'tilt' more outward, so that the windows don't pinch the seal. It's much better now...still not completely to my liking, but it was a big improvement. You might want to have your dealer look into that tilt mechanism in the windows to see if yours need to be adjusted out a bit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Back in 1987 I bought a "T" Type Buick Regal. From day 1 the drivers side window would roll up outside the track if you tried to close the window going anything over 35mph or so. Dealer couldn't understand why. I explained that the wind flow was pushing the window out just enough that it would broach the track and go up incorrectly. I had the car in for that issue like 7 times. After they scratched my car the last time I just lived with it until the car was stolen about 2 years later. That was the last GM car I ever bought. Until now. I sure hope things have gotten better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same problem

I had exactly the same problem with my sky. After attempting to fix it with new gaskets ( which they could not obtain ) they replaced the roof. Fortunately the repair was done in a reasonable time frame. They (Saturn of Albany) provided a loaner the entire time and were excellent in their efforts to fix the problem and not inconvenience me. While I'm not happy about the repair I have no complaints about the service. Good luck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Me too

I have had this issue with the window on the wrong side of the seal a couple of times and have discovered (at least in my case) the reason:

When you put the top up, make sure that the little "peg" on the front of the bottom seal is properly seated in the little indention in the body right behind the door windows.

I know that sounds confusing... I'll try to post a couple of pics later.
I had the same problem. Now that I know what to look for, it hasn't been an issue since. Maybe these pics will help. I tried to show where the peg is and where it is supposed to go. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Okay, before I took delivery of my Sky...He told me that he would talk to his service department and have my salesman get back to me Tuesday.... Any thoughts ya'll have on what I should do?
Your first clue that trouble was brewing was when the GM told you the salesman would get back to you. The salesmen don't have anything to do with the service on your car. The Service Dept. manager or someone else in the Service Dept. should have called you. If your Saturn dealer has their Sales Dept doing the service work, you might want to look for a different place to take the car to...kind of like having the nurse explain the brain surgery to you instead of the doctor doing the job.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Try the tilt out adjustment on your window and use both sides for comparisions. If one side does not look like the other then have your service dept take a look . Do not depend on the salesman to do this for you.....Skip...NSCRBUG had this problem on her windows......:) :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At this point I know the issue is the adjustment after finding out the passenger side notch has never been in the channel.

Thank you all for your help, I told the service manager today and he basically told me I do not have a clue...Monday I will show him...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why so many problems?

:confused: :confused: I ordered my Sky in May and of course the dealer does not know when he can order it from GM. I have been reading the incredible amount of problems that you all are having. From the top tearing , to seals not sealing, from windows that can't close , to differential problems, to the transmission being "clunky" to other minor headaches, I don't know if I want to own a car that will be in the shop all the time. I thought that GM would have worked out these problems on the Solstice before the Sky was built. I have a chance to purchase an '06 Miata with leather for $1500 less than my Sky. I have driven it and the 6 speed shifts so smoothly and owners don't seem to have these many problems. The only problem the Miata has is that it is a little more cramped inside. Please persuade me to wait a little longer for my Sky and that I won't have all these problems. The Miata is waiting!!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
To MIKE THE IMPATIENT , as any first year automobile there will be a few things that go wrong. Now if you have read up on this forum as a whole you will find that the problems are few and far between. My advice to you is read up on everything you can before you make a decision and then find out if that is what your little ol heart wants. ...Skip..now get to reading....:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts