1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
304 Posts
I really hope they don't do this...at least not in any significant numbers. Will hurt resale value.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you, to a degree. I'd hate to finally get my car and see 10 on the road everywhere I go. I don't think that'll be the case. If they ramp up production, it'll likely remain with Pontiac getting 2 cars produced per Saturn's 1. Here's why I hope they ramp up production: I want my car before january. With such low production numbers and a loooong waiting list, I feel like consumers are at the mercy of dealers. Example, my dealer has promised not to put a sticker on the back of the car (as many others do), but I worry that some lot technician will put one on it and then what do I do? Do I say no and wait another 6 months for the car or do I get a product I'm not happy with entirely? It's a minor case. I feel like it's a thin line... I don't want the production quadrupled, but I'd like an additional 5k a year or so made.

·
Registered
202 Posts
They can't keep suppliers in line with current production. What makes you think they CAN increase production. Then we're building 10 cars per day instead of 7 and still only have 4 sets of wheels and 5 transmissions to go in them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
haylcron said:
I agree with you, to a degree. I'd hate to finally get my car and see 10 on the road everywhere I go. I don't think that'll be the case. If they ramp up production, it'll likely remain with Pontiac getting 2 cars produced per Saturn's 1. Here's why I hope they ramp up production: I want my car before january. With such low production numbers and a loooong waiting list, I feel like consumers are at the mercy of dealers. Example, my dealer has promised not to put a sticker on the back of the car (as many others do), but I worry that some lot technician will put one on it and then what do I do? Do I say no and wait another 6 months for the car or do I get a product I'm not happy with entirely? It's a minor case. I feel like it's a thin line... I don't want the production quadrupled, but I'd like an additional 5k a year or so made.
Yea, in a way I'm being a little selfish as my car will be here soon.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Body Panels

If they ramp up production the body panels would be the biggest hold up. The hydroform process is done at one plant for the Sky and Solstice. The Sky and Solstice do not share any panels, but the Opel and DaeWoo are both Re-badged Skys. So if there is any increase in production there may be more solstice but with three lines vying for the same panels it might even cut into Sky production.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Alright Great news

So they are expanding the work area while the plant is running. That is great I didn't think they would do anything till the plant shut down. Great news

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GMinTheDriveway said:
What makes you think they CAN increase production.
The fact that Bob Lutz said they were looking into it, and that "Lutz says the Wilmington plant can handle "way more" than 40,000 units a year."

deluke, this sounds like good news to me, but may I ask, how did you come up with this information? I've not been on the forums for real long and it may be common knowledge that you're a GM employee or something to that effect and I'm just not aware of it.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
B]deluke[/B], this sounds like good news to me, but may I ask, how did you come up with this information? I've not been on the forums for real long and it may be common knowledge that you're a GM employee or something to that effect and I'm just not aware of it.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not an employee or supplier. I have a source that has never been wrong. They keep me updated with any new info. And Fformula88 and brentil can vouch for it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
deluke said:
I have a source that has never been wrong. They keep me updated with any new info. And Fformula88 and brentil can vouch for it.
That's awesome! I also saw in some other posts (after posting this thread) that production numbers were up for this month and were likely to continue to rise :cheers:

So thank you for the info, and here's hoping I get my car before the first snow!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
24 Posts
GMinTheDriveway said:
They can't keep suppliers in line with current production. What makes you think they CAN increase production. Then we're building 10 cars per day instead of 7 and still only have 4 sets of wheels and 5 transmissions to go in them.
This is basically what my sales rep told me last week when I asked him about Lutz's comments. The issue is getting the parts they need from their vendors.

I am in the crowd that would rather they not increase production anyway. I'd love to see them build the 10,000 cars (including the one I ordered) faster, but don't want them to increase the total number they produce this year.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
MCsky said:
This is basically what my sales rep told me last week when I asked him about Lutz's comments. The issue is getting the parts they need from their vendors.

I am in the crowd that would rather they not increase production anyway. I'd love to see them build the 10,000 cars (including the one I ordered) faster, but don't want them to increase the total number they produce this year.
They only way they can boost production ALOT would be to put in another platform. And I don't think that will happen. It cost way too much money. Then five year's down the line, and sales slow up, they won't need the extra platform but wasted that much money. I think they should stay a low production car, that makes them special.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Total Kappa Production

GMinTheDriveway said:
That are only short-time-problems if there are bigger differences between planning and reality.
Customers decide in other options as manufacturer has planned, for example

- much more chroms rims as painted
- higher orders in automatic instead of manual

Total demand maybe differ from actual production possibilties, but thats no actual problem for the manufacturer because the dealers won't get more than running of the line.

Like Bob Lutz said in the interview mid of may:

"With two-seat cars, you have to be very careful how you plan capacity," Lutz says. "Once everybody on the block has one, demand sort of tapers off."

deluke said:
*****They are expanding the assembly area, and adding another line to increase production. They will start working in the body shop soon.*****
The normal ramping up of production from the beginning I think is just like GM planned when starting the model.

Picture of total Kappa production >>> View attachment Prod_05-2006.pdf

Because of the high demand in US/CAN (higher than estimated), production capacity at the end of this year/begin of next year may become a problem when the production (rebadging) of the Opel GT will start:

- either raise up production :thumbs:
- or reduce the number of cars for US/CAN :nono:

to get the quantities for West/South Europe (as much inhabitants as in USA).

The expanding of assembling area and bodyshop IMO is to increase the production for Europe.

But that must be done very careful, the world's roadster market is very limited and the demand sometimes is high only for some years, for example Z3 (Coupe and bigger engines at the end of the period because of decreasing demand) or Z4 (Coupe and the 2.0 / 150 hp 4 zyl. engine for Europe because of decreasing demand).

Not to forget one of the main competitors Mazda's Miata/MX5: Upto now there is no decreasing production:

CY 2003 - 30,106 - Ø 2,509 / month (NB)
CY 2004 - 24,323 - Ø 2,019 / month (NB)
CY 2005 - 29,950 - Ø 2,496 / month (NB > NC)
CY 2006 - 16,694 - Ø 4,174 / month (Jan til April).

Where in the world are all the buyers for all the roadsters? :confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
C20LET, the figures I've seen posted on the forum for may and june production figures look higher than the figures in your document. I realize July will have a lower output considering the break week, but my guess is that production has picked up a little bit. While it's true demand will taper off, I'm sure GM would rather make a few extra cars and get the people who'd rather buy a miata or Z4 than wait months for a SKY.

·
Registered
422 Posts
haylcron said:
C20LET, the figures I've seen posted on the forum for may and june [2005] production figures look higher than the figures in your document.....
Haylcron,

you are right :thumbs: , there is a little inexactness in the july 2005 data: correct production # is 330 / month, 836 total. But up to june 2006 there where no production data listed by GM. Those 506 cars where preproduction or similar.
Thats the reason I counted the production up to July in one month like GM did:

Official GM website >>> Production results by plant

Anyway, the starting up of production in early 2005 has no influence to future production capacity decisions anymore.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Axel said:
Hopefully mostly in warm, dry climates!! :)
Hey Jim,

just had a look in the NC Climatology Information for Charlotte NC:

Mean Annual Precipitation: 43.1 inches :eek:

Mean Annual Snowfall: 6.9 inches :eek: :eek:

Should be better to rebadge your RL and send her as an Opel GT to Germany, not such wet here in most areas. :D

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
C20LET_50 said:
Because of the high demand in US/CAN (higher than estimated), production capacity at the end of this year/begin of next year may become a problem when the production (rebadging) of the Opel GT will start:

Don't forget Daewoo now also.

·
Registered
170 Posts
haylcron said:
...Example, my dealer has promised not to put a sticker on the back of the car (as many others do), but I worry that some lot technician will put one on it and then what do I do? Do I say no and wait another 6 months for the car or do I get a product I'm not happy with entirely?...
BTW, those stickers peel right off with no residue or mark. I've taken them off of all my cars, including my SKY.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts