Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they were waiting on a piece and that they were supposed to have them all together and ready to ship yesterday. I can't seem to get them to pick up the phone.

anyone know if they've been shipped yet?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I know they were waiting on a piece and that they were supposed to have them all together and ready to ship yesterday. I can't seem to get them to pick up the phone.

anyone know if they've been shipped yet?
If this is the Saturn Motorsports model, I spoke with Wes yesterday and he was meeting with the supplier on the sensor housing. He anticipated getting the final products shipped possibly early next week.

He mentioned there were ~30 to ship so a number of us have been waiting. I'm #2 on his "ship list" (boy, that sounds bad :lol: ) and have been waiting for about 2 weeks now.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If this is the Saturn Motorsports model, I spoke with Wes yesterday and he was meeting with the supplier on the sensor housing. He anticipated getting the final products shipped possibly early next week.

He mentioned there were ~30 to ship so a number of us have been waiting. I'm #2 on his "ship list" (boy, that sounds bad :lol: ) and have been waiting for about 2 weeks now.
so it got pushed out another week.

ok.. thanks for the info! and try not to get on anymore peoples "ship lists"

·
Registered
323 Posts
so it got pushed out another week.

ok.. thanks for the info! and try not to get on anymore peoples "ship lists"
On my way home from work, Wes called me with an update. Next Wednesday will be the ship date for those with orders placed.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Finally got mine today (ordered 9/12) and installed it about an hour. (only 5 minutes to remove the stock airbox)

It was kind of a pain since it seemed that nothing wanted to directly line up at first. The hoses wanted to bend by 10-15 degrees at each juncture.

Just to make sure, can I get a few replies on the following:

1 - The long end of the black rubber hose goes horizontal and the short end goes onto the throttle body, correct? It seems it "props up" the rest of the system just a little but I did not notice anything touching when resting the hood (unlatched).

2 - Did you notice the engine hose and air flow sensor did not line up? The air flow sensor was particularly tight and the engine hose was somewhat forward compared to coming straight out.

3 - I put the filters on about 1" up the end of the Y, sound about right?

4 - I test drove a base Sky with the GM and I recall the "whoosh" sound when hitting the gas from idle - similar sound but louder (assume due to more air)?

All in all, it's hard for me to hear a difference with my Magnaflow blasting out the back. With the hood up and door open, I could tell the engine was louder / deeper. On the road, it seemed that over 3,500 RPM is when I felt more of a kick.

5 - I assume this is from more air flowing / sucking in at higher speed / revolution?

All replies are appreciated. I won't be offended by simplistic replies either...:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
1 - The long end of the black rubber hose goes horizontal and the short end goes onto the throttle body, correct? It seems it "props up" the rest of the system just a little but I did not notice anything touching when resting the hood (unlatched).

2 - Did you notice the engine hose and air flow sensor did not line up? The air flow sensor was particularly tight and the engine hose was somewhat forward compared to coming straight out.

3 - I put the filters on about 1" up the end of the Y, sound about right?
1. The short straight hose connects the two pieces of the intake tube. The L shaped piece connects the tube to the throttle body. Yes, short side of the L into the throttle.

2. You can make them line up better by not sliding the tube so far (or farther as the case may be) into the L shaped hose.

3. that's fine

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of my install...
Looks like my first, personal car modification was a success. Mine looks the same!:thumbs: Everything was tight and in line tonight. Stopped by 2 dealers to show it off and they checked out the install and agreed it looked OK (less one comment about the seriously long T-bolts sticking out).

As for the drive, a slight pedal push is loud (from the exhaust) but anything 2/3 to floored gives it a front-end growl and a little more kick.

I also noticed tonight on a few ocassions that there are vibrations when really pushing it hard that you can feel through the pedals and sometimes into the cabin. A couple vibrations were actually startling, as if something bad was going on inside the engine. :eek: I tried replicating it but couldn't....:confused:

Scary part was that there was a smell in the garage after I parked her. Could have been clutch related. :eek: I was driving her pretty hard (I was getting near 7 seconds from a stop light to 55 MPH on the local county highway for a manual with a novice shifter). The 2nd to 3rd shift with the dual CAI feels better over 5,000 RPM now.

No drips, nothing seemed to be out of sorts under the hood....maybe I am just paranoid (again, my first automotive endeavor in my life). :willy:

Part of me is excited....the other half is saying "OK, now stop with the mods and when your RL comes, be happy with it staying stock and avoid any worries".

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Everything was tight and in line tonight. Stopped by 2 dealers to show it off and they checked out the install and agreed it looked OK (less one comment about the seriously long T-bolts sticking out).
Really... WAY too long. I'm thinking about getting out my Dremel Tool with a cut-off wheel and fixing that.

I also noticed tonight on a few ocassions that there are vibrations when really pushing it hard that you can feel through the pedals and sometimes into the cabin. A couple vibrations were actually startling, as if something bad was going on inside the engine. :eek: I tried replicating it but couldn't....:confused:
I haven't experienced anything like that. Did you disconnect the battery for 30 min to reset the ECU so it could learn the new air-flow characteristics and make the proper adjustments to fuel flow?

Scary part was that there was a smell in the garage after I parked her. Could have been clutch related. :eek:
I didn't notice anything like that, but smells are not unusual after handling and installing new parts that get hot. Could be pretty much a one time thing, but look into it if it continues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts