Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did and it was a trip, shifting with my left hand, I thought I was going for the blinker and turned on the damned wipers, scared I was going to hit something, etc.

I was in an R32 Skyline GT-R by the way (and I have two for sale!, PM me!!)

Anybody else been in a RHD car before?

·
First 2000 Senior Member
635 Posts
Drove a Nissan Optima which is about the equivalent of an Altima all over Ireland for a couple of weeks. Took more getting used to making right turns across traffic than shifting with my left hand. Other than the roads being about as wide as a ping pong table and having to scrape the left side through the hedges every time a car was in the other lane it wasn't too bad. Remember pulling into Kinsale on the southern coast and my wife crawling out of the car, sitting on the curb pleading with me to take her to the nearest pub and do it now. That was about all the encouragement I needed.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
When I was on assignment to Thailand I got a driver & car :cheers:

THANK GOD!:willy:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
3 years in Japan.

I drove what they labeled as a honda integra.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2 years ago in Grand Cayman Island. It was the slowest car ever. This Suzuki Samurai did 0-60 in never! I could only get that thing up to 50mph! :lol:

·
First 2000 Senior Member
635 Posts
Drove around Ireland both North and the Republic. It was during the troubles and I had a heck of time keeping from hitting the British patrols walking along side of the road.
ARE YOU NUTS?????? The whole purpose is TO hit the British patrols, or at the very least throw stuff at them on the way by.

·
Registered
122 Posts
when i worked for saturn's service dept., i used to drive a lady's car that had been converted to right hand drive (postal service or something). that was weird enough; especially turning right.

also, been to countries with right side drive, and walking across the street without getting hit by a bus (almost did in Hong Kong) is hard enough.

now, i'm going to New Zealand on my honeymoon (8 days til' the big day.....), and will be renting a car for right hand drive, for a WEEK......

you can be sure we will be getting an automatic!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I spent 8 years in the U.K. and drove numerous indiginous cars. Currently, I drive a London Taxi that is RHD and I drove three Taxi's prior to this. I restored and drove a '48 Alvis TA-14 which only comes in RHD. If it were possible to get the SKY in RHD I would be in RHD Heaven!

R

·
Super Moderator
6,568 Posts
I drove a RHD car in England for 4 days a couple of years ago. Had an automatic the first 3, a manual for the last. It was suggested, very strongly, that I not try RHD for the first time with a manual. Good advice. Far harder was driving a LHD car on the wrong side of the road on St Croix. At least the RHD car reminds you which side of the road to drive on. Stop thinking about it on St Croix, and hills or intersections can get really nasty.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Once in Cyprus, many years ago, I had the opportunity to drive a RHD. If I remember it was an English Ford, automatic. It was tough; especially on those mountian roads! We were there during grape harvest season. Signs on the hills warned "Road slippery with grape juice". I thought it was a joke until I got behind one of the trucks carrying grapes and saw the juice coming from below the tailgate! Wet, nasty curves and a RHD! Beautiful island, but dangerous roads!

:cheers:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
921 Posts
ARE YOU NUTS?????? The whole purpose is TO hit the British patrols, or at the very least throw stuff at them on the way by.
I know the drill but they had buddies, armed and grease paint on their face and twigs in their helmets. It would have been a little late to claim crazy American left seat driver after the firing stopped. Once we got across the border it was just staying on the narrow roads and remembering which side to get on when we stopped for something.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I drive a right hand drive vehical every day here in the US. I am one of your favorite people, your see me or one of my counter parts 6 days a week. I bring you both good and bad news. Althought I really wish I could just throw away the bads news. Yes I'm your friendly:) Letter Carrier. 86,000 miles right had drive in 22 years. Only one accident, my fault, hit a light pole.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
Yepper... drove a Renault Scenic in Ireland... http://www.renault.ie/vehicles/scenic/scenic_gallery.asp

Only hit one mirror in the two weeks.

Now... driving RHD is one thing... driving RHD on Irish country roads with bushes acting as the shoulder and big trucks coming in the opposite direction around curves at high speed... that is... ummm... fun... :thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts