Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, gang... On every car I've had up until the SKY one of the first things that I have done is to remove the "Idiot Stickers" from the sun visors that warn of everything from "Warning: high center of gravity" to "Don't drive vehicle with door open and leg extended to ground" to "Airbags detonating in the face of a munchkin strapped into a carseat are bad."

But when my SKY arrived I discovered that the :cuss: idiot stickers are PAINTED ON. (Somebody musta told them car-makers that some folks was just a-peeling off all their hard work!)

Anybody "Unpaint" their idiot stickers? I'm thinking of trying Mineral Spirits... Or maybe I will paint the sun visors Red to match the leather... They might look cool tucked away up there in red.

Any success stories? Maybe I can order Opel ones so the writing is in German. Korean might be interesting, too. Failing that, any hare-brained ideas or schemes?

:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've never thought much about them, but now that you've mentioned it they are going to bug the hell out of me. :willy: Any aftermarket visors available? That would be my first choice. I checked my commuter they are painted on as well. If you have any good ideas on removing it I can try it out on that before you take it to the SKY let me know and I'll make my car the test subject.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I tried lacquer thinnner and acetone and neither would touch it. So I finally drug out my trusty roll of wide black plastic tape. I know it sounds hoky but once you put it on you forget it and it really doesn't look that bad.

Also I have a problem with the mirror in the visor being on the drivers side so I thought I would just switch them-not. They are not interchangeable.

If you find something that will take the label off please let me know. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Check the Sol forum...

I thought I remembered reading about a Solstice owner that had his visors re-covered in black leather. Not sure where you would get something like this done (or the cost of it), but it is a viable option.

Edited to include link from Solstice forum discussing the removal of visor stickers.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6736&highlight=visors

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Holy Schimoly!

241 posts on the topic over at the Solstice forum. Lots of pleas to KappaSphere to come up with replacement visors... But no response from KappaSphere.

Let me see what I can do about that.

In the mean time, summary of all 241 posts (yes, I read them all):
  • The "stickers/labels" are applied to the visors by putting them in the mold before the plastic is injected. They become part of the visor.
  • One guy claims to have removed them with a combination of Acetone, Clorox and Sticker Remover - but there were no pictures and some talk of a "marred finish" after soaking the visors for 24 HOURS!
  • One guy had his professionally covered in vinyl at an upholstery shop. They covered the mirror, too, and cost about two hundred bucks to have done.
  • There are stickers available on E-Bay that have little Solstice silhouettes on them to cover the yellow/white ugly stickers. These are less ugly.
  • Lots of talk of moving the mirrors left/right so that your passenger has the mirror as opposed to the driver. That can't be done since the visors are not the same shape on the left and right.
That's about it from the post. Let me see what I can come up with...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
go to a couple car shows that give dash plaques and just stick them over the air bag stickers.... they are usually nice looking and then people can see your car is "Show Quality"

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
jdigiant said:
241 posts on the topic over at the Solstice forum. Lots of pleas to KappaSphere to come up with replacement visors... But no response from KappaSphere.

Let me see what I can do about that.

In the mean time, summary of all 241 posts (yes, I read them all):
  • The "stickers/labels" are applied to the visors by putting them in the mold before the plastic is injected. They become part of the visor.
  • One guy claims to have removed them with a combination of Acetone, Clorox and Sticker Remover - but there were no pictures and some talk of a "marred finish" after soaking the visors for 24 HOURS!
  • One guy had his professionally covered in vinyl at an upholstery shop. They covered the mirror, too, and cost about two hundred bucks to have done.
  • There are stickers available on E-Bay that have little Solstice silhouettes on them to cover the yellow/white ugly stickers. These are less ugly.
  • Lots of talk of moving the mirrors left/right so that your passenger has the mirror as opposed to the driver. That can't be done since the visors are not the same shape on the left and right.
That's about it from the post. Let me see what I can come up with...
I to read thru all those posts last week. Damn things are indestructible!!!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I read 'em all, too!

I kinda like the idea of covering the warning label up using the black sticker with the Sol etching on it. Of course, ours would have a Sky etching on it. :D But I didn't think it looked bad at all for a cheap, temporary fix. I wonder if anybody here on this forum could make a template for it like they did on the Sol forum and sell them for a few bucks. Somebody posted in that thread, that there are some black stickers available on eBay...but I don't know if they have the Sol etching on it or not.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Something like this would be good -- but with the Sky on there instead of the Sol.

Attachments

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
This thread has me thinking about making my own similar warning labels to go over them. I'd need to come up with some good pics to go along, but here are my bullet points:

• Children can kill or seriously injure your good time.
  • If you have children, you'll have to buy a car with a back seat.
  • (Not posting #3, but it involves the words rear, face, and front):devil:
  • Always use condoms and paternity tests.
  • See Chuck E. Cheese for more information about rug rats.

And, of course, I'd add the French translation below it.

Not that I hate kids or anything, but I certainly don't want any. I can hardly take care of myself.

·
Registered
337 Posts
No Problem

Hey all...if any of you have a problem with the idiot signs on the visors I can make up a sticker design to cover them.

I will be getting my Sky at the end of the month. After I do measurments and talk to my Printer I can get you all a price for 2 of them plus a design charge and shipping...it shouldn't be too bad.

You all come up with what you want the stickers to say or show...I would just design one central design, have it printed and ship it to you.

If anyone is serious about this PM me at the end of the month and we can discuss it...The more people interested the cheaper it would be for all of you.

There would have to be a press set up fee so if I only got 2 or 3 orders it wouldn't be worth it for any of us.

Hope I can help you all out. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I PM'd one of the guys on the Sol forum that is using a solid black sticker to cover up the warning label. Hopefully, he will get back to me soon with info on where I can obtain this black sticker. :thumbs:

REDSKY...I just PM'd you!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ok Start The Discussion Its Up To You

It looks like there are a few of you that are interested...

Lets start discussing what we want them to look like...what we want on them if they will have type or just a graphic on them...lets go people....We are doing one central design so we all have to agree on it....

LETS START THE DISCUSSION: I'm all ears and eyes! :eek:

Once I get enough brainstorming and we all agree I will do a MOCK-UP and POST IT HERE.

Once I get my Sky I will do the final measurments etc and get a few ruff prints, put them on my Sky and show you all before you choose to get them or not...sounds fair to me?

ok start the discussion:::::::: :thumbs:

:cool:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
REDSKY said:
It looks like there are a few of you that are interested...

Lets start discussing what we want them to look like...what we want on them if they will have type or just a graphic on them...lets go people....We are doing one central design so we all have to agree on it....

LETS START THE DISCUSSION: I'm all ears and eyes! :eek:

Once I get enough brainstorming and we all agree I will do a MOCK-UP and POST IT HERE.

Once I get my Sky I will do the final measurments etc and get a few ruff prints, put them on my Sky and show you all before you choose to get them or not...sounds fair to me?

ok start the discussion:::::::: :thumbs:

:cool:[/QUOTE}

How about the adoptive names of our babies?:thumbs: Or the Primary Driver on the driver side, and co-pilot on the passenger?:yesnod: :driving:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd like to keep it simple like the Sol. one. The outline graphic of the car is cool I think that one was from one of the Kappa clubs and they have a Sky as well. Or just something that says SKY in a unique style would be nice. I want something I can look at in 2years and still fill it fits the car and myself.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Dang, I never really paid a lot of attention til you mentioned them. Now they irritated me all day while I was driving.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I, personally, prefer just the Sky silhouette...just like it is on the Sol stickers. Simple and clean-looking. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts