Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
It's been a long wait for my Sky this summer, so while waiting, I took up motorcycle riding. Lots of you have alluded to riding a bike - so I wondered who rides, what do you ride, and are there any comparisons between riding a roadster and the motorcycle?

This is NOT intented to start a safety debate or argument of cars vs bikes:nono: !! We could make an argument for danger in any activity.

After riding a dirt bike for years, sold that, took a Motorcycle Safety Foundations Course and bought a Suzuki GS500F (on ebay). I love, love, love it! Still learning and very cautious but I am having a great time on the sport bike.

Any other riders out there? Anybody near Columbus GA?
carlie

·
Registered
877 Posts
I ride a Vstar (not so much this summer- SKY time). what I learned from riding a bike is watching everyone else on the road. Both are open air rides, I ride with more with groups on the bike and the parties are big fun.:D
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
171 Posts
I ride Honda VTX1300 - cruiser. My dad put his 10-year-old daughter (me) on a Honda 90 WAYYYY back in the good old days and I would ride long past when my hands went numb from the vibration. Took break to raise kids. Then my husband and I took it up again several years ago. I love looonnnggg road trips. I think that's why I don't mind the trunk space in the Sky - I'm used to traveling light :D

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I pedal my bike but had motorcyles when I was younger. The sky gives you the air effect, but it feels a little safer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ride, but since getting the Sky the bike has not moved from the garage. Poor thing is feeling abandoned, but the Sky is just so much FUN!

My current ride is an older BMW K100RT - upright seating, big fairing, big engine, inline 4 cyl, touring bike with the full cases etc. Probably has more storage than the Sky. :jester:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2005 Honda Silverwing. It is a 600 cc automatic (maxi scooter).

My hubby has a 2000 Honda Shadow AE tourer (1100 cc) & a 2005 Honda Goldwing.

We also have dirt bikes. Oh, yea he has a 1976 Kawasaki KZ 900 Z1 that needs restoring.

In fact just a few months ago I was gonna get another bike but could not decide what I wanted.

I was actually looking at a Lotus Elise. But could not fit my hiney in. Well technically getting in was not the problem. Extraction was the problem. Not practical far everyday driving. Which is how I ended up at my Sky.

We enjoy our bikes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
No motors allowed on my 2 wheels

I pedal my bike but had motorcyles when I was younger. The sky gives you the air effect, but it feels a little safer.
I pedal my bikes too....around 8,000 - 10,000 miles per year.

No kidding...:)

The nice thing about cycling is that I found some great back roads around here to push the Sky to its limits! Trust me when I say I found corners to put the claimed 0.90G beyond its breaking point.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
1987 1100 HD sporster; also x-MSF instructor; take the class!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Congrats! And welcome to the motorcycle riding family & soon you will be a memeber of the Roadster family.

I'm an MSF Instructor (for 12 years) and ride a BMW R1100RT and Honda CRF230F. (Hubby rides Triumph Tiger, 1956 Harley Pan Head, Honda XR200R Dirtbike) I LOVE my new SKY roadster. No, the rush is no where near the same as on my bikes, but still lots of fun. Took my sky to The Dragon (www.tailofthedragon.com) which I usually do with 2 wheels and had loads of fun. Sure don't get helmet hair with the SKY...just wind blown!

FUN!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 1969 BSA 650 Lightening that sits in the back of the garage waiting to be restored. Prior to the Bezzer I rode a '88 Sportster that seemed to be in the shop more time then on the road. I learned on a 1967 Kawasaki F-3 when I was a teen.

R

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Used to ride...
Last bike 1976 Honda 750A

·
Registered
47 Posts
The big difference I found between bikes and roadsters is HELMET HEAD!!

It's been a while, but I've had a few bikes. First was a little '76 CB200T Honda that I (and everyone else I knew, including my Mom) learned to ride on. She's still in my garage, with 1700 original miles. After that I had a 4-cylinder Suzuki GS550E, which was a GREAT bike for me. Hubby had 2 Harleys, one of which I could reach the ground on, so I rode that a bit, too.

I've also owned both a '63 Vette convertible (which will be my AVATAR, if I can ever find the link listed in my User CP, hint, hint...) and a '69 T-Top Vette.

What it comes down to, is that I love to drive. :thumbs: Windows open, top down, top up, no top at all...2 wheels, 4 wheels, 18 wheels...it's all good!:D

·
Registered
745 Posts
I ride a Yamaha V-Max

I rode moto-cross as a kid in Byron Illinois (Right by Skybaby). I think everyone should ride dirt before going on the street. It sharpens your reaction times and teaches you recoverery skills. I saw a accident one time and three bikes hit a minivan drove by a kid who went through a red light. Two locked em and hit the side of the van and got thrown over the van. The third down shifted cut and accellerated. That took off speed rapidly and he laid it down hit the rear tire of van softly. He got up and walked away. Bruised some scraps, his bike a mess but he walked away. i asked as I stopped to help if he road dirt, his answer "I'm standing here aint I". Learn on dirt before the street.
My 2002 V-Max is one of the most powerful upright cruisers made same design since 85. It has custom paint, chrome or polished everything 18inch custom rear wheel billet aluminum polished, chrome reinforced swingarm notched to center 200 venom radial. Polished pumpkin (differential from venture better topend speed) custom polished alum dust guards on on pumpkin. Olin rear shocks, custom wave rotors, R1 calipers from and back chromed. The thing flies and looks like a lightning flash in the sun at speed.
I didn't drive it that much since having Sky. But I always work on my toys to make them better. Most friends drive Harleys on cruises will travel in the 70-80 mph range, Ill run out of gas before them so we have to stop for fuel but the ride on some of those Harleys are so bad that they don't mind stopping.
they always ask me when I'm going to buy a Harley I say when I get old and my reflects go then I'll buy one and work on a big beer belly at the same time. Lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm a rider and love it! My current bike is a: 2004 Kawasaki ZX12R Ninja Sportbike. I don't have my Sky yet, but I love the open outdoors. (except during pollen season. :lol: ) I've been riding since I moved to the Dallas Tx area 5 years ago after taking the MSF class myself. (Great class and I highly recommend it to new and experience riders alike.) In a previous post, I mentioned that I moved from Atlanta. There are some very nice roads there for driving and riding. I'm planning on moving back to lovely Atlanta in a couple of years, so the "Beauty (Sky) and Beast" will have lots of fun as I navigate them through the roads of North Ga.

Before I leave Texas, my goal is to ride through the Texas Hill Country, which I hear are very nice roads as well.

Here are pics of my "beast from the east"

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
This is my "other" toy

Hi all...... I've attached a picture of my 2003 Harley Davidson Gold Key Anniversary model Heritage Softail Classic. This bike is awesome!! I've put a lot of money into it with everything chrome you can buy, a 103" Screaming Eagle power plant, 6 Speed Screaming Eagle Tranny, etc.

I don't ride it as much now that I have my beautiful Sky, but, next month is Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach and I'll be there. I've also included a pic of my third toy, a 1987 Piper Warrior III. Love to fly......

Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sorry about that!!

I posted a picture of my plane and the picture wouldn't open. I'll try it again.

Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
My wife and I both ride...

I have a Harley Fat Boy an she rides a Harley Sportster. We absolutely love to ride and this is a great area for it(upstate SC). Take trips to TN mtns, ride a lot on the BR Parkway and occasionally down to the coast. This will be my third roadster, but my bike will still get plenty of attention!:thumbs:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own and ride a 2004 HD Heritage Softail.
I had it lowered one inch and added a Power Commander 2 "chip" tuned for more torque.

I have added just about every chrome thing you can put on it LOL.
Bike is pearl white, but I'm talking to a guy now to repaint the tank and fenders with a dice theme. One of my other "hobbies" is playing craps.

I love to ride and love to cruise in my Sky with the top down...

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've been riding since about 1970. My current ride and probably my last is a bike that is absolutely beautiful. It's a 94' Harley Wide Glide. A great ride with many wonderful trips behind it. I'm buying the Sky to replace it. I guess I've had enough because I hardly drove it this summer and am now considering letting her go to someone who will take care of it. Maybe I'm just getting too old and finding that the traffic has increased 10 fold over the last 10 years.:cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
1981 XLH Sportster. Almost completely original.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 90 Posts