Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the remote start conversation is as old as the forum itself, but I didn't see anything on this particular option. I found it on crutchfield.com and it uses the factory remote. Which I like. The last thing I would want to do is carry around one of those big Viper Alarm fobs from my highschool days. It says automatic only, which is ok, as mine is an automatic, but $190 seems decent and the reviews are mostly positive on the site.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I installed a similar Fortin device in my wife's Mazda and it works well. HOWEVER, that is a push-button-start car - so not quite sure how this works with key-start.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed a similar Fortin device in my wife's Mazda and it works well. HOWEVER, that is a push-button-start car - so not quite sure how this works with key-start.
A key and push button essentially start the vehicle in the same manner. Once you get past the security interface (key or a proximity signal) with the vehicle. From what I can tell this unit would start the vehicle via RF signal using the factory remote. I believe you would still need to perform the takeover by inserting and turning the key to the on position before the vehicle would shift out of park. That part I don't know though.

·
Super Moderator
5,748 Posts
A key and push button essentially start the vehicle in the same manner. Once you get past the security interface (key or a proximity signal) with the vehicle. From what I can tell this unit would start the vehicle via RF signal using the factory remote. I believe you would still need to perform the takeover by inserting and turning the key to the on position before the vehicle would shift out of park. That part I don't know though.
All of the aftermarket remote start systems I have seen require that a key be left in the ignition switch cylinder to satisfy the VATS. Whether the key has to be left in the run position depends on how the remote start system itself is designed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I looked over the install instructions quickly, from the steps on programing the unit is almost the same way you program a new ignition key.
maybe this has some sort of chip in it. Just a gues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If no one has tried this unit I may be willing to guinea pig on this one. The instructions are pretty lacking, but from what I've read and seen online I think I could intuitively figure this one out. I'm going to add this to my "to do list" in the near future. When I do I'll try my best to document the install and report back here what I find out. Of course if someone else decides to beat me to it and share their experiences here, my feelings wouldn't be hurt either.

·
Super Moderator
5,748 Posts
I got curious and looked this thing up. It is an interesting concept, and the reviews seem pretty good, but their documentation is crap, and that is always a concern regarding the actual quality of the product. If you do it, be sure to pay the extra for the T-connectors so that you don't have to butcher the car's wiring as much.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the T-connectors is also what I liked about this unit. From what I can tell, it should only be splicing the parking lights and maybe one more. That seems doable and keeps the integrity of the stock components. From everything I have gathered online the instructions are garbage though as this unit is designed for "professional install". I can't imagine this being any more difficult than a radio head unit IMHO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know from year’s dealings with crutchfield when you call the tech line and ask them they will walk you through the install. I have never read of them selling something that doesn’t work on the type of Vehicle It says it can work on.

I also agree if you can buy a t-harness for anything get it. it saves time and sometimes frustrating problems that you created.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
All of the aftermarket remote start systems I have seen require that a key be left in the ignition switch cylinder to satisfy the VATS. Whether the key has to be left in the run position depends on how the remote start system itself is designed.
Installing the Fortin on our Mazda was a two stage process. You had to plug it in once to have it register the car, then take it out and plug into a programmer and your PC and connect to the Web. That then performs some kind of security process with cloud servers to set up key codes in the box & fake the car into thinking it's a valid key.

I would ASS-u-me the same kind of procedure for this to get past VATS.

·
Super Moderator
5,748 Posts
I would ASS-u-me the same kind of procedure for this to get past VATS.
Based on the wiring diagrams and the setup procedure you are at least in the ball park and maybe closer than that. The remote start processor has a LAN connection and the setup procedure appears to include learning the security.

I think my biggest concern is that the system interrupts the run/start/crank connection from the ignition switch to the BCM. If that is correct, failure of the remote starter means you can't start the car manually, and if it fails while you are driving the engine will die.
Capture.JPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe the Fortin and the idatastart are basically the same idea. What I like about the idatastart model is the use of the factory remotes and the T-harness setup. From what I saw on youtube (lockdown security has some videos) it looks like you pre-program the module/bypass with the software from internet explorer (yup that's what it says) and then plug everything in. And then it learns your system similar to how the Dorman remote learn works I believe. Since it's essentially a bypass, if it were to fail I guess you would just unplug the harness from the module and back into the ignition? Now do I have access to tools when it fails; is another story. It does have a limited lifetime warranty as consolation though .

·
Super Moderator
5,748 Posts
This may be a remote possibility, and I may be reading the schematic incorrectly, but if your car shuts down in the middle of heavy traffic or some other critical situation, tools and a warranty are not going to be much help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is one company that makes an auto start for manuals. It has a lot of safety features so it cost more and I don't really see a use for it. The AC cools the car fast since it is so small.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I used this back in 2016 and works great and easy install

·
Registered
672 Posts
Reactions: steveorama
1 - 19 of 19 Posts