Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get past 20 average miles per gallon - and I do a lot of highway driving. Anyone getting better mileage?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I can't seem to get past 20 average miles per gallon - and I do a lot of highway driving. Anyone getting better mileage?
Around town I do a bit over 20 as high as 24 at times. On teh road a solid 28

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Absolutely, on last 2 tanks 23.84MPG, then 24.65MPG mixed city/hwy. Still breaking her in only has 497 miles on it. And I'm using 93 octane. Still trying to get the dealers regular gas out, I understand it take 2-3 tanks to insure premium--I expect MPG to go even higher--:D

·
Registered
304 Posts
I averaged 19-20 until I got the ECM tune from Vector. Now I have been at 23- 24 for over a month since having it done. And it's definitly not from driving it more conservatively.

To add, 99% city driving.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
Get about 22 - 23 mixed... this is also my first stick shift, so I am sure as I get better, so will the gas mileage. :jester:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Getting better gas milage in a torque-ish 5 speed motor is as easy as 1, 3, 5 but sometimes you don't have the room to do 1, 3, 5 - 1, 2, 4, 5 also works

Also keep your Tach around 3K when cruising, I follow these tips in my 240SX (another N/A Torque-ish 5 Speed 2.4L) and I can get a little over 400 miles to the TANK. (25.31 miles to the Gallon):thumbs:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
23.8, but I drive it like I stole it. 27 on the highway.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like everyone is getting better mileage than me. Maybe I should have mentioned I do find myself sitting in LA traffic vs. 65 mph. I still feel I should get a few more mpg. I currently use a mid grade gas...maybe the highest octane may make a difference and this ECM tune that was mentioned...however, I have no idea what that is :confused:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Don't trust the DIC do the math. You may be getting better millage than you think. My car got 21.8 on my last tank and the DIC only registered around 20.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
BTW, I don't use the DIC either (it takes time fer it to tell ya reality, if ever it will, if I have read the instructions correctly) the DIC is an average from day one, not very accurate., I do it the "ole fashion way" rithmetic--:lol:
I put in 12.5 gallons, lets see mileage is 497, and ahh last fill up it was 187--497 minus 187= Walla--310 miles divided by 12.5 (gallons I put in today), equals aaahh, ammm, hmmmm right, 24.8MPG--That sounds bout right and da rithmetic looks like an A+--What yawl think? :cheers: BTW, don't need a dum puter to tell ya that--:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'll have to try calculating it myself to see if mine is off too...it's been averaging 24.8 so far (3850 miles, auto). I thought it was just my leadfoot. :D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have been "playing" with my DIC (gee that sounds dirty!:willy: ) :lol: And found that if you want more accurate readings -- reset the MPG readings when you refill gas -- So far, my readings have been within 1 gpm.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Looks like everyone is getting better mileage than me. Maybe I should have mentioned I do find myself sitting in LA traffic vs. 65 mph. I still feel I should get a few more mpg. I currently use a mid grade gas...maybe the highest octane may make a difference and this ECM tune that was mentioned...however, I have no idea what that is :confused:
Indeed. Try the methods mentioned above..^^^ Premium IMHO WILL increase mileage, since more of it will be burned, plus you will get the engines "full power" if you will, not only that if you read page 235 & I quote "Use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 91 OR higher." Then it tells ya bout 87 octane, doesn't say you "can't" use regular, but if you read the threads here, you will be surprised of what you will learn. Our engine IS a high performance engine after all, HP engines require premium fuel IMHO. Then ECM (Electronic Control Module) is the engines computer brain, Granted all the evidence posted so far states that IT WILL increase your mileage if you have it re-progammed, BUT--it also requires premium fuel ONLY--for the tune to be effective-It is not done by the factory and is considered a "3rd party modification". There are several threads regarding this, and I'll admit, this "upgrade" I am considering & is veeerrryyy attractive--as long as it does not "void my warranty". Many do this for more power & fuel efficiency.

There are other factors to, make sure your tire pressure is a 29PSI on all 4 tires, are you or do you use the A/C?--CAI (Cold Air Intake) replaces the factory filter assembly, this also increases power AND fuel economy (and as a side note, many say it "sounds throatier" better sounds out of exhaust, lets see, some have mentioned the exhaust system upgrade helps--also effects the way it sounds--

Then you have the variables--Are you a "lead foot", in other words you get in your Sky and the only speed you know is "FAST", or do you drive like a "normal" person--Do you want power & speed or do you want mileage and power when you need it?--All this info, and I gave ya a small over view I found out here on this forum. I have done hours of reading, filtered thru it, some are, no most are extremely informative--You need to spend more time "educating yourself" here with current owners and what they have done. That is how I am making my decisions on what I will and won't do--

BTW, don't be shy, there no such thing as a "dum question". If you don't ask its hard to help. I hope that with the replys you have received so far, you can AND I will be better informed, AND will get you better (or perhaps, more accurate) fuel results. Keep in touch will ya, let us know.
MB

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you...only difference is, I have struggled to see even 20mpg...I usually average around 19.7mpg! :eek: However, that is according to the DIC...I haven't actually calculated my true mileage out the old-fashioned way...but me thinks that the DIC could be way off. Oh btw, I have an automatic with the CAI (supposed to be better fuel economy), and I'm not a leadfoot at all...and 99% city driving with premium gas at all fillups.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you...only difference is, I have struggled to see even 20mpg...I usually average around 19.7mpg! :eek: However, that is according to the DIC...I haven't actually calculated my true mileage out the old-fashioned way...but me thinks that the DIC could be way off. Oh btw, I have an automatic with the CAI (supposed to be better fuel economy), and I'm not a leadfoot at all...and 99% city driving with premium gas at all fillups.
Are you resetting the DIC at fill up? Otherwise it is the AVERAGE since the last time you reset it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Are you resetting the DIC at fill up? Otherwise it is the AVERAGE since the last time you reset it.
Yep...that average is with resetting it on every fill up. I'm gonna try the old-fashioned arithmetic way and compare it to the DIC cuz I think my DIC is wrong.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use 87 octane and average 25.3 mpg. 90% of my driving is 4th gear, in the 40-50mph range. Lots of back roads with very little stop and go.

When I get on the highway the milage drops susbstantially, down into the 24.7 range.

I don't have a CAI or perf. suspension, not sure if wither would make a difference.

Anne

·
Registered
113 Posts
OK, I am getting 23mpg using midgrade fuel, while I drive around town but when I got on road trips I use 91 and my mpg goes up to 32mpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts