Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed a burning smell when driving their Sky or after parking it? I've only had mine a week now, and I keep noticing a smell similar to the one you would get if you drove with your parking brake on (which I'm not doing). Is this just the brakes "breaking in," or is this something I should be concerned with? Thanks...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Has anyone else noticed a burning smell when driving their Sky or after parking it? I've only had mine a week now, and I keep noticing a smell similar to the one you would get if you drove with your parking brake on (which I'm not doing). Is this just the brakes "breaking in," or is this something I should be concerned with? Thanks...
The smell will go away. My salesman said it was some kind of coating burning off the exhaust system.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just an FYI if the differential is leaking oil it could cause a burning smell so check for leak too!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I smell that too...but it is usualy after I roast my tires a little.
;o)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
It tant Fartblossom, she is here with me....Skip....:)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hey, Stacib, watch that for the diff leak, that is what mine did. Warranty covers it

·
Registered
411 Posts
It's a Plastic Walmart Bag that got caught under your car... Happened to me when I got my car. It melted and stuck to one of the hott parts of the car. I smelled something similar to what your describing..:D

Get low and peek under your car. Look closely. The bag might have melted off, but it might still have part of the plastic cookin'

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
First couple of weeks my car had that strong whatever-it-is burning off the whatever-it's-on smell.
I remember pulling into the garage after an early breakin run and wound up stinking up the whole house from the car burn-in (or off).
The cats were not amused. I wound up leaving it in the driveway for the first few weeks for a while to cool off before pulling it into the garage.
Don't remember exactly how long it lasted, but seemed about a couple of weeks or few hundred miles.

As others note, once that new car burning smell goes away, if you smell a sharp burning it could be diff fluid hitting the exhaust.
Just get in the habit of looking at the ground under the rear end now and again looking for any leaks.
Don't want to spook you here, it's a minority percentage, but just something to look for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's a Plastic Walmart Bag that got caught under your car... Happened to me when I got my car. It melted and stuck to one of the hott parts of the car. I smelled something similar to what your describing..:D

Get low and peek under your car. Look closely. The bag might have melted off, but it might still have part of the plastic cookin'

:thumbs:
I hate it when that happens! I've had atleast 15 bags get caught under my current car like that. Then I have to deal with the smell of burning barbies for like 2 weeks.
:willy:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Check also for leftover protective plastic used while shipping. I found strips of it all over in odd places on the Sky.

OR it could be "..The overheating of the thingamajig which attaches to the rotating megaffelating actuator. When coupled to the whatcha-ma-call-it and not securely mortilated a hot burning smell may be observed with the nose hairs" and that's really technical shop talk I know, but if you leave it with me for ten or twelve weeks I can fix it at a cost of a couple arms and legs..

·
Registered
54 Posts
After 500 miles that smell has started to ease off on mine. Should get better for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with my SKY, but followed by a loud clanking sound. Needless to say, Sunny has been in the shop for nearly week, and they still don't know what is wrong with her. I miss her alot, and hate the car that I was given to drive. Thankfully I was in TX for work, so that eased some of the pain.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I got a smell from the clutch on mine at the start then it disappeared.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I took the SKY to work with me last Tuesday, since I was going to be away for the rest of the week and wanted it to have a workout before sitting. I noticed it had a burning smell when I parked it (it rained all day too, so wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it). I know it wasn't the exhaust smell - having owned the car since April 27, that smell is long gone by now. I will have to take it out of the garage and check the rear diff for any leaks. Thanks for the post and advice!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I took the SKY to work with me last Tuesday, since I was going to be away for the rest of the week and wanted it to have a workout before sitting. I noticed it had a burning smell when I parked it (it rained all day too, so wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it). I know it wasn't the exhaust smell - having owned the car since April 27, that smell is long gone by now. I will have to take it out of the garage and check the rear diff for any leaks. Thanks for the post and advice!
Park the SKY over a piece of cardboard, that way if it leaks you can take the evidence with you to the dealer.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I think someone else has mentioned this and it recently happened to me as well..
Those plastic grocery bags!! One got onto my exhaust pipe -- Yeech!
Takes a day or so to get rid of...
Could that have been what you smelled?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Check for leakage off the differential. Look at this pic. leakage is on the exhaust.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts