Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....Since I got my Sky last week, I find that I am super cautious driving, looking two and three times before I pull out into the street or change lanes on the highway. I am even tentative about getting too close to another vehicle for fear that they will spit a rock or something my way!!:eek:

.....Am I being paranoid or is this normal for a new Sky owner???

......I know...I need to take some pics to put up here !! Damn..the car is
FUN!!!!!!!:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Your normal. Well, normal for a Sky owner. Let me suggest the clear bra before you get two small rock nicks on your hood like I have.

·
Registered
188 Posts
.....Since I got my Sky last week, I find that I am super cautious driving, looking two and three times before I pull out into the street or change lanes on the highway. I am even tentative about getting too close to another vehicle for fear that they will spit a rock or something my way!!:eek:

I'm way aware of my surroundings. Its something you have to do in this car. I recomend the clear bra as well :thumbs: Welcome and have a blast in the Sky

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have become superanal driver!

keep 100 ft behind 18 wheelers, 50ft behind everyone else.

will go as far to the left onto the shoulder as I can when passing 18 wheelers.

look in all directions before pulling out, park 3 miles away in public parking areas. constantly checking my paint during washshings for new chips so I can get them touched up.... etc.

even with all this care, I still have recvd a few chips from rocks. I've gotten real good at touch up paint!!! I expected I would get some chips no matter how careful I am considering I put about 2000-2500 miles per month on.

I've had my sky about 3 months now and am about to hit 7k miles. I have 3 small chips that went all the way thru the paint down to the black primer... not to bad I think

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

I did the same thing -- Now I am comfortable in Sunni1. Part of teh cautiousness in the begining was once I got my mirrors set correctly (to eliminate blind spots) the view was so much different that what I experienced that I had to "get used" to it. Now, and since I have tuned my other car's mirrors the same -- it is second nature...

·
Registered
162 Posts

I started driving more cautiously the day we order the car, just to gear up for what was to come. Probably the best thing that ever happened to me.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Dontcha just love it when you look over and notice that the top of your windshield is below the bottom of the mirror of the SUV that just pulled up next to you? I never, repeat NEVER, run alongside a car on either side of me. I will always speed up or slow down to stay away from all them crazies.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do the natural stuff like staying away from 18 wheelers and people who give you that cautious sign that they just don't know how to drive. Passengers complain to me when I dont pull out at stop signs when cars are coming, I stay cautious about everything but not cautious as to I'm going under the speed limit or anything.

jdigiant is absolutly correct. With my Tiburon, my first and only wreck in it wasn't too serious, but definitly serious enough and left my car in shop for a month. A guy in a big SUV in front of me backed up at a light and drop up my car, literally, crushing my bumper and smashing my hood back, his excuse; "Your car was so small I couldn't see you in my mirrors"

You always gotta watch out for the bigger drivers because they dont care about you; their car is 3x the size of yours and they know if an encounter ever did happen, they'd win

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I have become superanal driver!

keep 100 ft behind 18 wheelers, 50ft behind everyone else.

will go as far to the left onto the shoulder as I can when passing 18 wheelers.

look in all directions before pulling out, park 3 miles away in public parking areas. constantly checking my paint during washshings for new chips so I can get them touched up.... etc.

even with all this care, I still have recvd a few chips from rocks. I've gotten real good at touch up paint!!! I expected I would get some chips no matter how careful I am considering I put about 2000-2500 miles per month on.

I've had my sky about 3 months now and am about to hit 7k miles. I have 3 small chips that went all the way thru the paint down to the black primer... not to bad I think
I ordered a $15 bottle of touch paint today from my dealer. I would like any pointers you might could give me on how to use it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Cautious

My Dad told me to remember one thing that I have passed on to my kids -
"Every other driver on the road is out to kill you." It may be taking 'drive defensively' to an extreme but I try to follow that line of thinking every time out.

:D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
My Dad told me to remember one thing that I have passed on to my kids -
"Every other driver on the road is out to kill you." It may be taking 'drive defensively' to an extreme but I try to follow that line of thinking every time out.

:D
:lol: Very simular to my first Driver's Ed Teacher.... His comment "Drive like every other driver is a complete idiot. In time, you will discover you are correct."

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I try to find roads where there are very little traffic. Trouble here is to watch out for those little critters that run out in front of you. Wouldn't want to veer out of the way to quickly with the steering on this car:)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts

Yes I to am doing that. Of course I have had Pepper less than a month and I have at least 3 scratches on her. I got her nose with a precast parking curb on the weekend. :banghead: That was a club I didn't want to join.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I ordered a $15 bottle of touch paint today from my dealer. I would like any pointers you might could give me on how to use it.

I have found that there are 2 ways to apply the touch up paint.
After cleaning chip area ---

if its on the hood, top or some place where the paint won't run, then I get a small droplet of the paint on the tip of the brush. In my case the chips were fairly small so I used a very tiny droplet.
Rather than "painting" it on just touch the droplet to the chipped spot. the paint will leave the end of the brush and transfer to the chip. what you will end up with is a "blob". The blob will be raised higher than the surface, leave it alone and let it dry for for a day.

The chips I had on the side of the car-- I did multiple layers. (trying the "blob" way would just cause the paint to run, its very thin paint)
using the brush with a very very small amount of paint, I put a thin coat in the chip. Let it dry for a few hours or overnight and do it again. Mine took about 4-5 coats before the chip was completely filled in. Use alot of patience and a steady hand.

there are a couple of ideas on how to get rid of the blob after its dry or to level the paint down if it came out of the chipped area
Your goal is to get the blob removed but leave the chip filled. I know you can use 1000 grit sandpaper and very carefully wetsand it down. Once you get it flat with the surface, use a polishing compound to get rid of any "roughness". I was to chicken to try the sandpaper idea.

the other way is this---
http://www.langka.com/the-blob-eliminator-p-31.html

at the moment my "blobs" are still there, I'm waiting for my Langka to be delivered. I googled it before ordering and everyone seems to love this stuff.
so I'm gonna give it a shot.
I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yes I to am doing that. Of course I have had Pepper less than a month and I have at least 3 scratches on her. I got her nose with a precast parking curb on the weekend. :banghead: That was a club I didn't want to join.
I'd say welcome but I feel your pain. It will subside after you get it fixed, because then you'll know what it will cost you if you do it again:thumbs:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Stopped at Checkers for a Burger

I'd say welcome but I feel your pain. It will subside after you get it fixed, because then you'll know what it will cost you if you do it again:thumbs:
Parked, ordered and sat down to eat. I then noticed, despite everyones warnings, that I drove right over the curb. :banghead: Lucky for me their curbs are lower than most concrete ones in parking lots. I was sitting about an inch over it:willy: Won't make that mistake again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts