Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
8,195 Posts
No John, I am not - I should examine my car. I was going on previous reports Someone else may want to confirm.
They do draw from an area that is not directly open to the front of the car, but I believe that is mainly for protection from heavy rain.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Anyone done any flow benching to determine how much air our LNF turbo would gulp down at the powerband? Then perhaps calculate the max volume and velocity of the stock airbox can provide at said powerband?
It would be a starting point to determine whether there are anything left on the table to optimize. Else I'd say it's mostly bling. Some aftermarket CAI and certain cars would end up with less hp.

·
Administrator
8,195 Posts
Anyone done any flow benching to determine how much air our LNF turbo would gulp down at the powerband? Then perhaps calculate the max volume and velocity of the stock airbox can provide at said powerband?
It would be a starting point to determine whether there are anything left on the table to optimize. Else I'd say it's mostly bling. Some aftermarket CAI and certain cars would end up with less hp.
Yes.

• Haha
Reactions: Matthew Huffman

·
Administrator
8,195 Posts
While you did technically answer his question, could you point us all to that info or share with us?
I have put a stock intake and one of the CAIs on a shop-built flow bench that is fitted with a 1000 CFM blower and an inclined-tube water manometer that is capable of an actual flow of approximately 750 CFM.
The airflow for a 2-liter engine at 21 psi of boost and 6600 RPM calculates to just shy of 500 CFM, so we were able to exceeed actual flow by a fair amount during testing.
The difference in pressure drop between the stock intake and the CAI was smaller than the variation that we measured from test to test for each one, suggesting that they are essentially equivalent in terms of flow.
Since there is no flow improvement, the CAI is, in my opinion, bling.
Different designs of CAI could result in more or less flow, of course, but a worse potential problem with any non-stock intake is disruption of the function of the MAF sensor. Unless the design provides the same flow characteristics as the stock intake the airflow calibration in the ECM could be incorrect, and if that occurs the power ouput will be reduced even if the airflow is increased.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Different designs of CAI could result in more or less flow, of course, but a worse potential problem with any non-stock intake is disruption of the function of the MAF sensor.
... and to reinforce this statement, it was found that some aftermarket CAI's back in the day (Fujita comes to mind as one, IIRC), did actually do this and caused codes & poor running. To the OP @Pinstripe - Pride, I would suggest you be very wary of changing things, and if you do, do NOT destroy any parts of the factory intake, since you may well have to put them back on!

UPDATE: (9) Fujita CAI Issues | Saturn Sky Forum (skyroadster.com)

Reactions: JohnWR

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
... and to reinforce this statement, it was found that some aftermarket CAI's back in the day (Fujita comes to mind as one, IIRC), did actually do this and caused codes & poor running. To the OP @Pinstripe - Pride, I would suggest you be very wary of changing things, and if you do, do NOT destroy any parts of the factory intake, since you may well have to put them back on!

UPDATE: (9) Fujita CAI Issues | Saturn Sky Forum (skyroadster.com)
When i became my car's caretaker in 2020 , the single cone after-market CAI was already in place.
Also charge pipes were in place, along with a "gutted" cat converter, 3 inch straight pipe exhaust, and muffler delete.
i have been trying to turn it back into a respectable example of motoring excellence.

New quiet exhaust has been installed.
No original intake can be acquired.

So..... my original question was just that...a question.

But i have been just sitting back, watching the answers take all different directions
Blue Microphone Brush Font Cosmetics

I have settled on the following:
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Just. $99.00 on line

We'll see how it works.

Regards,
"K O N O A "

·
Registered
393 Posts
When i became my car's caretaker in 2020 , the single cone after-market CAI was already in place.
Also charge pipes were in place, along with a "gutted" cat converter, 3 inch straight pipe exhaust, and muffler delete.
i have been trying to turn it back into a respectable example of motoring excellence.

New quiet exhaust has been installed.
No original intake can be acquired.

So..... my original question was just that...a question.

But i have been just sitting back, watching the answers take all different directions
View attachment 119629
I have settled on the following:
View attachment 119627

Just. $99.00 on line

We'll see how it works.

Regards,
"K O N O A "
That's a much better idea over the PVC.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the RPM one in a dark red, looks pretty nice. Will be for sale as no longer needed.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to show up with three filters on one of these set ups - three for the win? :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry guy, not on here much so didn’t see this. Anyway, my car is at PAW getting LS3 swap, so I don’t have any photos of it installed I don’t think. Ill have Opel injectors, Intercooler, 18” Foose wheels with almost new BF Goodrich tires for sale.

Reactions: Wnolte1122
21 - 40 of 40 Posts