Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Saturn dealership & saw the Sky on the floor.

It has been on the floor about a week, and I was surprised how many problems there already were with the interior.

The exterior fit and finish looked perfect- what a great looking car!

OK, I understand for $ 25k you aren't going to get the highest grade plastics; that didnt bother me.

What was wrong was the passenger cup holder was already broken off,
the glove compartment seemed ready to break at the hinges, and worst of all, the interior door handles were loose!

I mean, the actual handles twisted in your hands when you closed the car door. it felt like the bolts inside were loose.

The only thing about the exterior was it took a hard slam to close the trunk.

I've read that on this forum though, so it wasn't unexpected, but when they say "close it firmly" they mean what they say. I was worried about twisting the trunk because I'm not tall enough to easily reach the middle of the trunk without scaping the paint, & I didn't want to do that.

I've never owned a Saturn/GM product before, and was worried about the workmanship. However, the other Saturns on the flor didn't have those interior problems; they looked and felt fine.

Whassup? Any thoughts on this?

LasVegasPhil

·
Registered
234 Posts
The Sky and 2 Solstices I sat in did not have any such problems. They were all pretty solid, and yes it does take quite a firm push to close the trunk!

Seems odd that the dealer would know these problems and not fix it?

·
Registered
277 Posts
If this Sky is open to the public, how many people sat in the thing? Was the cup holder open and someone sat in the car and broke it off? :banghead: I have seen broken items on cars at auto shows because so many people got in the cars and played hard with the equipment.

Yes, I agree, the truck is hard to close. I have had mine since 3/17 and the only problem I have had was the caster being off on the rear wheels, which the dealer alredy fixed.:thumbs:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Is there a Sky in Las Vegas? I'm heading there in a couple of weeks. Can you PM me the name of the dealer? Please! It'll be a while before I see one up here. What colour was it? Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
308 Posts
We have not experienced any of these problems. The only nuisance is that both cupholders pop open with the lightest touch, sometimes when you don't want them to. The one in the back can pop open when I touch it with an elbow with my arm on the center console.

I can see someone breaking off the cupholder in a show car because they didn't realize it had opened.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sky Hi said:
We have not experienced any of these problems. The only nuisance is that both cupholders pop open with the lightest touch, sometimes when you don't want them to. The one in the back can pop open when I touch it with an elbow with my arm on the center console.

I can see someone breaking off the cupholder in a show car because they didn't realize it had opened.

:agree:

My elbow hits the cup holder all of the time.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Was this one of the brand new dealer demo cars or a show car going around?

The show cars were old beatup cars passed around all over the place that were not final products so they got abused pretty hard across the USA.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The sky is not as comfortable as my mazda 626 nor can it carry as much as my Jeep, but its a heck of alot more fun to drive. considering its one of the first few hundred made i do expect a few things that will be changed on later years. thats ok with me i would rather have it now than wait until its "refined" also a lot of the things wrong now will be easy to correct when they are identified. LOVE MY SKY

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hope the Sky will have a better finish than the Solstice.
Styling is amazing but I was very dissapointed when I first saw the car in "flesh".
First of all, there was a lot of orange peel on the paint. The fact that the car was black did not help neither.

My main turn-off was the quality of the interior.
Especially around the interior dood handle (cup holder as well).
The interior door panel was loosely fitted and the gap between the "cup" of the handle and the panel was very bad. You can even see the flashing of the mould joint.

This car was displayed at the Montreal Auto show. I aggree that the car got some "display" mileage but isn't how our car is going to look after 1-2 years of service?

In my opinion, I don't thing that the price of the car should have to do with bad design of some simple cosmetic parts. I have a VW Golf of lesser value with excellent finish with similar quality plastic.

I hope the finish will be better on my Sky, otherwise I might consider cancelling it. After all, at almost 40.000.00$ CN (tax incl.) should minimal quality be expected?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Take a good look at the paint on a new $72,000 Z06 Corvette....loaded with orange peel. It's something you have to accept with production cars. If it bothers you, it can be sanded out, or just buy a light color where it isn't as noticeable.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
brentil said:
Was this one of the brand new dealer demo cars or a show car going around?

The show cars were old beatup cars passed around all over the place that were not final products so they got abused pretty hard across the USA.
The show cars were always behind ropes/bars... viewers were never allowed to touch even the outside. The SKY show vehicles were $250,000 hand built one off's... there were about 5 of them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
The show cars were always behind ropes/bars... viewers were never allowed to touch even the outside. The SKY show vehicles were $250,000 hand built one off's... there were about 5 of them.
Thanks for clearing up that misperception...The Sky I saw on display was set up exactly as you've described.
They wouldn't even open the hood or trunk for us to look in!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have had mine for over two weeks and have over 2600 miles on it, many opening and closings of the trunk and doors and glove compartment, no alignment problems with anything yet. The cupholders are a joke, and i do not use them at all... The best way to close the trunk is put you fingers on the front of the trunk at the peak of one or the other of the humps, and push down quickly, just as it makes contack pull you hand away... i have closed mine at least 100 times already and nave no problems with any dents or twisting of the trunk lid, It is a very sturdy panel,along with the hood they are not like alot of the flimsy trunks hoods you see on some Japaneese cars

·
Registered
277 Posts
Skyman, any news on your alignment?:confused:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Stu's Sky said:
Skyman, any news on your alignment?:confused:
Had to make an appointment for tomorrow morning, i have been driving it this weekend and i have added about another 300 miles on all kinds of roads, i have not seen any new rubbing or heard anything still, I think my misalignment may have been minor...

·
Registered
277 Posts
My thumping would come and go. I guess if it is a hairline crack out of spec, this can happen. Good luck tomorrow.

Since my alignment, I am thump and scuff-free!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
554 Posts
My Sky was delivered this week with a broken vent wheel. They are rushing these cars through assembly, but they are not as bad as some other mass produced American cars. Not as good as any of my Honda's, but they are worth the minor problems.

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
No problems here so far with 1050 miles on her. The trunk just requires a firm push to close. I'm not tall, either (5'3"), and I just stand behind it and press down in the middle to close.
No word yet on my panels, though. Going to give them a call again tomorrow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree that the inside looks awful. I also went and looked at a sky in Chicago and thought it was a piece of crap. It was cheaply made and I would never purchase such a car. The glove compartment was broken and the door handles looked like crap. Overall, extremally dissapointed and took my name of the list. I guess I will be finding another car.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Antz1 said:
I agree that the inside looks awful. I also went and looked at a sky in Chicago and thought it was a piece of crap. It was cheaply made and I would never purchase such a car. The glove compartment was broken and the door handles looked like crap. Overall, extremally dissapointed and took my name of the list. I guess I will be finding another car.
Good luck in your new search :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts