Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our high mileage Sky has minor windshield wiper streaks on the windshield when looking at the car at certain angles. I don't notice them when driving so it's not severe.

I wondered if anyone has successfully removed or masked them by applying a particular product specifically for that purpose. I wonder about polishing the glass like painted clear coat.

I would appreciate your thoughts and experience.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Professional kits use cerium oxide. You have to be careful not to let the paste dry which may overheat the glass and break it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sahein, Thank you so much for sharing the video. I will try a water spot remover product using my dual action polisher. Looking for the Mequiar's brand mentioned in the video, I can't find it sold locally, so I will try an equivalent.

Watching the video, the given example is a modest-depth scratch from a bad wiper blade. It is so much worse than anything on my windshield. But the streaks on my windshield are everywhere the wiper blades travel, so I will keep the polisher moving across a much larger surface area which will avoid creating a hot-spot condition.

Thanks Again!

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Ask John. He works in the glass industry and is very knowledgeable.
We use Iron Oxide, known as Jeweler's Rouge or Red Rouge for our scratch-polish work.
Iron Oxide is less agressive than Cerium Oxide, so it takes longer but is quite a bit safer..

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is my windshield wiper abrasion. It shows up only in reflected light. It bothers me to see it. If you look at the top of the passenger side, there is also a little black-out that has come off. I have no choice other than overlook it. Maybe one day a rock will break the windshield, taking care of it naturally.

Here you get a much better look at the streaking. You can see how it totally disappears where there is no reflected light.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What is the abrasive ingredient found in automotive fine cut cleaners? Maybe they have iron oxide and/or cerium oxide pending the fine-cut level. I wonder if the various grades I already have at home is appropriate and safe to try. My collection of such goop bottles is already extensive. It would be nice to use what I already have.

Does anyone here know of a risk in trying on a windshield, a fine-cut cleaner marketed for automotive clear coat? Some products formulated for a specific application, have the same ingredients, percentage adjusted, repackaged and marketed for other purposes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In the past I have had good luck getting the dog scratches out of our back door glass with rubbing compound mixed with a pumice soap mixture and then using a foam polishing wheel. I can't recall where I got that advice, but it did work for the light scratches. Heavier ones are still there of course.

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Does anyone here know of a risk in trying on a windshield, a fine-cut cleaner marketed for automotive clear coat?
The primary risk is using something that is too coarse or too agressive and creating a bigger mess than you already have.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The primary risk is using something that is too coarse or too aggressive and creating a bigger mess than you already have.
Yes, I agree with you. I suppose I could try the finest grade in one spot and see what happens.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Our high mileage Sky has minor windshield wiper streaks on the windshield when looking at the car at certain angles. I don't notice them when driving so it's not severe.

I wondered if anyone has successfully removed or masked them by applying a particular product specifically for that purpose. I wonder about polishing the glass like painted clear coat.

I would appreciate your thoughts and experience.
I am butter here at Skyroadster....after catching a stone from a passing semi-truck with my Sky's windshield that caused a chip that turned into a crack,my insurance covered the replacement NO CHARGE TO ME!
Again different day,caught another flying object from another vehicle. Insurance bought me another replacement windshield NO CHARGE!
This happened back a few years ago,maybe you have State Farm? I'm not suggesting anything like trying to put one over on your insurance.If all else fails try 0000 steel wool. I cleaned my other car's with that.Wouldn't do steel woolwith my Sky.
butter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts