Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a condo, my driveway leads into an underground garage. It seems steep a bit.. I have no idea of the angle etc..

Has anyone had problems with the bumber touching the floor when bringing it into the garage? The car seems so low!!!!!

I'm still waiting for my RedLine and this has been worrying me some what!!!!:banghead:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I live in a condo, my driveway leads into an underground garage. It seems steep a bit.. I have no idea of the angle etc..

Has anyone had problems with the bumber touching the floor when bringing it into the garage? The car seems so low!!!!!

I'm still waiting for my RedLine and this has been worrying me some what!!!!:banghead:
If you can (and from your description "I live in a condo, my driveway leads into an underground garage." I bet you do not have much room) approach the ramp(s) at an angle. It helps a lot. There is one store driveway that is steep and I heard just a bit of a scrape -- I now approach at a 45 and all has been quiet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please explain to me what you mean when you say approach at an angle? The garage itself is huge... its just the driveway leading to it? I have to go straight down not enough room to do anything otherwise....

I have an acura 3.2TL, goes down the driveway without a problem, but the darn sky just looks so low!!!

Last thing I wanna do is pick up my car, and scratch the front bumper the fisrt day I get it!!!:banghead:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Mostly what you hear is the black flap behind the front bumper. That black flap directs air into your radiator and is very flexible. It is also 3 inches off the ground. Get on your knees and look under the car and you will see what I am talking about. Other than the black flap hanging down the rest has a skid pan that goes back to the differential. That flap that hangs down is also good for picking up fresh roadkill and directing it to the radiator where it is cooked at 180 degrees. Good for those long distance drives and yall be getting hungry. Skip...possom yum yum.....:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
153 Posts
That flap that hangs down is also good for picking up fresh roadkill and directing it to the radiator where it is cooked at 180 degrees. Good for those long distance drives and yall be getting hungry. Skip...possom yum yum.....:cool: :cool: :cool:

Was you ever a "biker"???:lol: Only took 30 minutes to cook possom on air cooled Harley engine....:thumbs:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Mostly what you hear is the black flap behind the front bumper. That black flap directs air into your radiator and is very flexible. It is also 3 inches off the ground. Get on your knees and look under the car and you will see what I am talking about. Other than the black flap hanging down the rest has a skid pan that goes back to the differential. That flap that hangs down is also good for picking up fresh roadkill and directing it to the radiator where it is cooked at 180 degrees. Good for those long distance drives and yall be getting hungry. Skip...possom yum yum.....:cool: :cool: :cool:
About 50/50 - Driveway always scrapes (black flap - hot air break) - Cement blocks in parking lots are the biggest culprits - had paint touched up once already. It's too late if you hear it. I've been thinking about a small tv camera hidden (looking down) on the front. $99 at Pep Boys. Even old fashioned "curb feelers" would work, if they weren't so ugly.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Now that's an idea...curb feelers sticking out the front.:lol::rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
About 50/50 - Driveway always scrapes (black flap - hot air break) - Cement blocks in parking lots are the biggest culprits - had paint touched up once already. It's too late if you hear it. I've been thinking about a small tv camera hidden (looking down) on the front. $99 at Pep Boys. Even old fashioned "curb feelers" would work, if they weren't so ugly.
Many of the concrete "SKY Killers" are two inches higher than the bottom lip!!! Those are REAL bad. The underneath stuff is not bad at all as long as you do not scrape off the "rivets" that hold the facia on...

Oh and antonio26mtl... I meant that you'd have to enter the drive at an angle -- sounds like you are tight on space as I suspected... Slow and easy the first time.... I just went into a parking garage a week or so ago -- no damage... Are there marks on the concrete floor from other cars??

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No there are no marks however there are no cars which are that low.. so I guess Im gonna pray for the best and will drive it really really slow while coming down into the garage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know what you mean about the car being low and the driveway not working for you. I just had the entrance to my driveway redone so I could get the Sky into the driveway. Good luck.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Your gonna scrape the underside of the front, I have no doubt. The car rides low. You just have to learn how to drive it and park it without hitting all the barriers and tough angles. Listen to the people here about how to approach your driveways, they will give you the answers your looking for. As for me, my suggestion for parking is to not go to far forward. The car is very short and you can park an easy 12 to 20 inches away from the front of the parking spot without having the back end stick out. Try to align your door with the cars beside you and don't be tempted to pull any farther ahead- other wise you will hear that wonderful sound of concrete scraping and popping your front end.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Make a visual reference of what you can see out of the left side glass between the mirror and windshield frame when you park leaving a safe distance from the curb.. I have found that if I can just see the curb in this space, the front of the Sky is about a foot from the curb. Have not hit a curb yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seem scrape more often than I can stand, even at a 45 degree approach or reverse. Speed bumps can also present a challenge, but the parking block WILL kill you. Just be mindful of your clearance and distance, that's the best you can do.

Good parking fellow sky riders.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
When I pull into and pull out of the driveway, it scrapes because of the way the curb was desinded, the good part is that i can see it...so I take it slow backing out....and pulling in the driveway...Life is Great!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I have found that besides trying to approach at an angle.... back out if possible.. that has helped me in certain situations. SkyBaby

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
I have found that besides trying to approach at an angle.... back out if possible.. that has helped me in certain situations. SkyBaby

That was suggested to me and it worked....Life is Great!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Geez...I just noticed the scratches under the front bumper....we went over a speed bump at a bad angle then met a parking bumper alittle closer than we should have...hoping some touch up paint will make it look alittle less noticable.......damn....nowwe know why some on the forum call it a "Sky Scraper"!!!!:banghead:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts