Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow SKY lovers. I'm jealously awaiting my turn :mad: , but I was wondering if anyone has used the input jack on the stereo face, for their iPod or MP3? How has it worked?

Eddie Sky

·
Registered
41 Posts
Eddie Sky said:
Hey fellow SKY lovers. I'm jealously awaiting my turn :mad: , but I was wondering if anyone has used the input jack on the stereo face, for their iPod or MP3? How has it worked?

Eddie Sky
It works great. Just buy a $5 cord from radio shack and plug it in. I've only used the iPod. The controls on the iPod is how you forward/reverse/search for songs, not the radio. It is much better than the FM transmitter I used to use.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
johnny99 said:
It works great. Just buy a $5 cord from radio shack and plug it in. I've only used the iPod. The controls on the iPod is how you forward/reverse/search for songs, not the radio. It is much better than the FM transmitter I used to use.

Cool! Was wondering about this, myself...as I am an iPod junkie. :D Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
johnny99 said:
Was wondering about that too. Friend at work suggested Radio Shack. Thanks for the info :thumbs:

·
Registered
41 Posts
MP3 Input

Works great. So much better than the FM transmitters I bought for both my daughters' iPods. The audio quality is great and you don't have to tune to a station and hope it is listenable. The second you plug the cable in the radio switches to that input automatically....couldn't be simpler. Now the only problem is where to put the iPod...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went to Radio Shack yesterday and purchase a 1-Ft Shielded Stereo Audio Cable Part#42-2497. I think it was $4.99. This will allow you to contect your I-Pod to the Car Stereo. You still control the music selection & sound level through the I-Pod.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is great news. Thanks for the responses. I agree about the FM transmitters. They aren't the best solution.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Someone mentioned finding a spot for your IPOD so i thought i'd mention the Transpod by DLO. i dont have a sky yet but it works fine in my current car:
http://www.dlo.com/products/TP_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=11440981947397519
It does have an FM tuner on it that you dont really need (since you use a direct audio cable) but it has an audio plug on the side of it so you plug it into your cigerrete lighter and then plug the audio cable into the transpod on one end and into your audio input on the other. It comes with an adjustable arm and an extension arm so you can sorta put it anywhere you want (you wont be as limited by the location of the lighter). It works with all variants of IPODs and charges them while you play them. Granted your paying a bit much (at about 100 bucks) for a FM tuner that doesn't really need the FM tuning part, but its the best (and easiest to use) car doc i've seen and DLO makes awesome products.

Food for thought...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Erb said:
Someone mentioned finding a spot for your IPOD so i thought i'd mention the Transpod by DLO. i dont have a sky yet but it works fine in my current car:
http://www.dlo.com/products/TP_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=11440981947397519
It does have an FM tuner on it that you dont really need (since you use a direct audio cable) but it has an audio plug on the side of it so you plug it into your cigerrete lighter and then plug the audio cable into the transpod on one end and into your audio input on the other. It comes with an adjustable arm and an extension arm so you can sorta put it anywhere you want (you wont be as limited by the location of the lighter). It works with all variants of IPODs and charges them while you play them. Granted your paying a bit much (at about 100 bucks) for a FM tuner that doesn't really need the FM tuning part, but its the best (and easiest to use) car doc i've seen and DLO makes awesome products.

Food for thought...
Not a bad idea! Though like you said the FM modulator kind of worthless when you have the AUX input, I wonder if they have a cheaper version without the modulator built in. I also agree DLO makes good looking IPOD products.

·
Registered
75 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Not a bad idea! Though like you said the FM modulator kind of worthless when you have the AUX input, I wonder if they have a cheaper version without the modulator built in. I also agree DLO makes good looking IPOD products.

DLO also makes just a cradle holder/charger for Ipod without the FM tranmitter. It comes with a tape adapter and aux connector. Just ordered it. Now just have to wait for my SKY!!!! :willy:

http://www.everythingipod.com/produ...n&searchSKU=w009-2344&eqAVAILdatarq=YES&max=1

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
DLO Adapter

Thanks for the research. It was I that mentioned no place to put it. I have a DLO with transmitter in my daughters Acura and it works well - if you can stand the FM thing. I think I will try it and see if I can come up with a place for the pod that I am happy with.

I had a 2 hour drive today so I plugged in the iPod, left it in its case on the other seat. Had a blast listening to my music on the Monsoon. I say all that to get to 2 points:

1) I am getting better sound out of the Monsoon by setting the EQ flat and giving it better sources. The iPod sounds great. More CDs. Less radio and even less XM.

2) The iPod will show you just how bad the XM radio sounds. Convenience and variety it does provide. But the compression and, even more so, the lack of high frequencies in the signal makes it less pleasurable to listen to. I understand Sirius is better, but we don't have the option. Think I'll use it primarily for talk radio.

Just my observations....
Jon

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think XM has a realy good sounds quality but then again in my other car i have it with an fm transmitter but i dont think it sounds bad at all....not to sound repetive at all

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm using a Axim for an MP#3 player which has GPS as well. My question is can I listen to the radio with a PocketPC (MP3) player hooked up? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I'll try to stay optimistic.

·
Registered
669 Posts
futureskyowner said:
DLO also makes just a cradle holder/charger for Ipod without the FM tranmitter. It comes with a tape adapter and aux connector. Just ordered it. Now just have to wait for my SKY!!!! :willy:

http://www.everythingipod.com/product222.tpl?command=search&db=dbs/products.db&eqSTORE1datarq=IPOD&cart=11440997637420330&eqPRONAMEdatarq=DLO%20TransPod%20Direct%20Car%20Solution%20for%20iPod%20-%20Silver%20Edition&searchSKU=w009-2344&eqAVAILdatarq=YES&max=1
I got my TransPod Direct Black to go with my black IPod yesterday and it works great in the SKY! I'd had problems with volume in my old car, but the volume is great! It even has a longer extention, so you can make the IPod face you, but I just use the short arm and it works just fine. Suppose I should get a picture to show...will try to do so tomorrow.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've bought that same 1 foot cable at Radio Shack, and it works great with my ipod. For anyone that's interested, I also bought a little navigation system, the smallest one out there called Garmin Nuvi, its the size of a deck of playing cards and although it has external speakers, it also can be heard by plugging this same mp3 cable into the port in the car. It makes it great to use when the top is down as you can hear every direction its saying through the car speakers. I haven't used the dock for this Nav system yet, I usually just balance it on the front of the radio when I need it, and when I dont it goes in the storage compartment behind me.

Also, I just found this yesterday, in case you didn't know, there is a front seat pocket, the front bottom of each seat. It's small, but its a great place to stick my cell phone while driving.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The Ipod works great

I used it and its works very well.

Thanks for the info on the seat front pocket. I was wondering where to put the cell phone and didn't notice that pocket.:D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Owners helping owners (and Soon to be Owners)
I have a lot of notes about what to look for and "hidden" features...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts