Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The Solstice and Saturn should have come with orange plastic snap-in lifting pucks with the words "Lift Here" on the sides, repeated all around. That would solve 95% of the "lifting" problem. But not do so saved $4 in direct material......just like the two-note horn, passenger vanity mirror, etc. etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It would probably cost as much as new ones from GM that would need to be painted to go to Corvette body guy. I know I have C6 Z51. Or from Norm's Sky Fenders. I'm just going Fiberglass them. Its only bottoms can't see the repairs. I've already done the driver's side. Paid twenty dollars for the fiberglass kits. New GM fenders are $475.00 each.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It would probably cost as much as new ones from GM that would need to be painted to go to Corvette body guy. I know I have C6 Z51. Or from Norm's Sky Fenders. I'm just going Fiberglass them. Its only bottoms can't see the repairs. I've already done the driver's side. Paid twenty dollars for the fiberglass kits. New GM fenders are $475.00 each. View attachment 120809
The fenders are not fiberglass.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Is anybody going to comment on the best way to patch a fender?
Here you go for an extreme condition. A broken right front fender liner has the right curves. I wished I took a pic of the backside. The fender liner was cut to include many long tabs for extra surface adhesion for gluing as well as shaping. The screws are used to hold it together during the glue-curing process and to prevent peeling.
Automotive design Bumper Gas Cylinder Couch

Material property Chair Fender Tints and shades Wood

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

I have new unpainted fenders, waiting for the right opportunity for painting. I want to include the rear bumber skin in the project to address clearcoat issues.

Maybe I should get my brakes inspected, say nothing, and get everything painted for free....Ha, ha.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Franz von Holzhausen designed both Kappas at GM's Advanced Design Center in Pasadena, California.
There were 2 Saturn Skys....I believe in 2002 it was introduced in Detroit auto show...it was truly ugly. Our present design was done in England with collaboration of Opel, Corvette, and Saturn....Lotus built the Vauxhall lightning which became the model our car.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Solstice fenders don't crack (but as they are metal, they do bend when mistreated) - wonder which is cheaper to replace?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It would seem it’s common issue. People take their cars into a shop and morons jack the up by the plastic fender instead of the correct jacking points. I have some cracks on both of my fenders. I’m going to do some fiberglass repair on them. Any advice? PS bought it that way.
same here! Hav no idea how long ago it was done! How do u plan on fixing? Is it front and back? Jim.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Remove the fenders one at a time and put some of cracked pieces back together like a jig saw puzzle lay some resin on the inside of clean plastic fender right on the cracks let it harden overnight replace the fender and then do the other side. I'll post some pic's when I do the next one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There were 2 Saturn Skys....I believe in 2002 it was introduced in Detroit auto show...it was truly ugly. Our present design was done in England with collaboration of Opel, Corvette, and Saturn....Lotus built the Vauxhall lightning which became the model our car.
Incorrect.

The 2002 Sky ( which was also designed in the US ) has nothing to do with this conversation.

Franz may have been influenced by the 2003 Lightning, but the 2007 Sky was designed by him, in the US.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts