Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does anyone know if the side vents will be functional and if so what is their function? (engine heat venting, brake cooling etc)
Also the Hood vents, are they going to be functional?
if they are non-functioning I wonder how hard it would be to slip a neon light behind them so in the dark they will glow out the side like it has Jet exhaust... LOL....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
I think that their main function is to make the car look cool, so yes they are functional.. but the engine itself appears to have no apendiges that would suggests some mechanical or aerodynamic use.

... but again.. they are cool.. :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
Unfortunately I believe they're both cosmetic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
well.. yeah.. if you want to be technical :)
But I dare say that you could likely place lights, rather than neons maybe firber optic or phospho luminecent that way you could change the intesity at differnt speeds.. or even the color. :)

you know.. red if your angry.. blue if your mellow.. yellow if your chicken :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
They are functional in 2 ways, the first as mention already is they add styling cues to the cars body. Second, the top vents allow for better air circulation under the hood by using a special fin design they allow air to travel into the engine bay and out the side vents, like on the Corvette, the air movement is used to reduce any pressure build up and aid in cooling effect at speed. So they are functional!

$250K prototypes don't always get the good stuff!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Having seen these vents up close, the side vents are non functional.

The hood vents are also non-functional.

It also appears the mesh by the foglamps are non-functional also.

The mesh around the chrome accent and saturn symbol above the bumper is non-functional as well.

By non-functional, I mean they are not open to allow air flow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
kappaman said:
Having seen these vents up close, the side vents are non functional.

The hood vents are also non-functional.

It also appears the mesh by the foglamps are non-functional also.

The mesh around the chrome accent and saturn symbol above the bumper is non-functional as well.

By non-functional, I mean they are not open to allow air flow.
Maybe some of those non-fucntional vents can become functional on the RL. Assuming that thier location makes it physically possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
i believe they may be closed, but once its built into the fiasca, its very easy to open.

as far as the redline, this would allow for use of the same fiasca, however, the fiasca would have to be different anyways for the intercooler.

so i guess we are back to where we started.

i know on mine, ill be making all those openings functional.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
I think the hood ones might be easily made functional - but I think you'll have to cut sheet metal (on the inner supports) to do it.

The front end parts (by the foglamps) - I think would make nice entrances for brake ducts :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
kappaman said:
I think the hood ones might be easily made functional - but I think you'll have to cut sheet metal (on the inner supports) to do it.
this doesnt surprise me one bit. i didnt think they would go out of their way to cut a hole, then make a new stamp mold, just so they could shove a piece of plastic in that hole that they made.

kappaman said:
The front end parts (by the foglamps) - I think would make nice entrances for brake ducts :cheers:
i agree, and the vents by the doors, yeah, those would be a great place for the rear end of brake vents.. in by the fogs, out by the doors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Remember, the car they are driving around the country for show and tell is a mock-up, and not a production version. The actual production molds are not being used at this time, so anything we see today is just an expensive model of the car to come.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Delnari said:
Remember, the car they are driving around the country for show and tell is a mock-up, and not a production version. The actual production molds are not being used at this time, so anything we see today is just an expensive model of the car to come.
I think we're now talking "cars", as there are a handful that started life as a Solstice built at Wilmington, and converted to Skys at GM's prototype shop.

There are somewhere between four to nine of these cars for show, with quite accurate and close to production trim. You can tell these cars from the 05NAIAS car (and sister show car) by the antenna mast - these cars have the production antenna, production intent interior, etc. The show cars had no top nor an antenna. They are travelling around the country in covered truck, in various colors. I know there's dark blue, red, silver so far.

A few white cars that have been sighted around SE MI on the road - with black & white tape on them.

I might be able to find out some details when I talk next - let me know what questions you all have, and I can see if I can get answers.

I was told that the rear body panels are attached with structural adhesive, and intended to be permanently installed. However, I'm sure with a torch and a little knowlege, you could prolly get the rear body panels off and replace them with just about any shape you want - which is another indication that this might be a great next kit-car platform.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kappaman said:
I think we're now talking "cars", as there are a handful that started life as a Solstice built at Wilmington, and converted to Skys at GM's prototype shop.

There are somewhere between four to nine of these cars for show, with quite accurate and close to production trim. You can tell these cars from the 05NAIAS car (and sister show car) by the antenna mast - these cars have the production antenna, production intent interior, etc. The show cars had no top nor an antenna. They are travelling around the country in covered truck, in various colors. I know there's dark blue, red, silver so far.

A few white cars that have been sighted around SE MI on the road - with black & white tape on them.

I might be able to find out some details when I talk next - let me know what questions you all have, and I can see if I can get answers.

I was told that the rear body panels are attached with structural adhesive, and intended to be permanently installed. However, I'm sure with a torch and a little knowlege, you could prolly get the rear body panels off and replace them with just about any shape you want - which is another indication that this might be a great next kit-car platform.
I would love to see a picture of the underhood area where the hood vents are... has anybody take n any
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
classic66vair said:
I would love to see a picture of the underhood area where the hood vents are... has anybody take n any
You need to request someone take a photo with the hood blanket removed. Otherwise, you'll just get a picture of the underhood blanket (you can see such a beast in many of the underhood photos of the Solstice).

Those hood blankets (or whatever you want to call them) are there for sound absorbtion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
And here I thought they where for :mad: fire suppresion .. :)

if the blanket is there then there is no hole.. you would not expose the blanket to excesive amounts of moisture because it would absorb, rot, fall no the enigine. If there is no hole on the blanket, there is no hole above it.

My guess is that you'll find only a couple of puncture holes for the fasteners to hold the fake deck vents in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kappaman said:
You need to request someone take a photo with the hood blanket removed. Otherwise, you'll just get a picture of the underhood blanket (you can see such a beast in many of the underhood photos of the Solstice).

Those hood blankets (or whatever you want to call them) are there for sound absorbtion.
Well I know for a fact in some hood vent situations they have a kind of duct work built into the bracing under the hood that will exit in other locations than directly under the vent, this is for two reasons, 1. you don't want water to directly fall on top of the engine, and 2. if it exits close to the air intake you could covert it to a makeshift cold air induction...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
The hood "vents" consist of two plastic solid pieces that attach to the hood. If you remove one of the fake vents, you can see the hood blanket, and a part of the inner structure of the hood. If the hood blanket were not there, you'd see the engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
kappaman said:
The hood "vents" consist of two plastic solid pieces that attach to the hood. If you remove one of the fake vents, you can see the hood blanket, and a part of the inner structure of the hood. If the hood blanket were not there, you'd see the engine.
as i said earlier, it would be very easy to make these vents functional. just a little bit of plastic in your way.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top