Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped by my dealership yesterday to further press my dismay over their MSRP + $5,000 pricing policy. While I was there, one of the employees pointed out they had 6 (six) Solstices on the lot and in the showroom, all with the same $5,000 upcharge. They're starting to get a little dusty. Apparently the $5,000 is no longer quite so easy to talk prospective buyers into. This should bode well for us SKY geeks. Sure, dealers who wish to pursue this tactic will be able to sell SOME at the upcharge, but I think the practice will be relatively short-lived. Even if you are willing to (or considering) paying a premium, PLEASE complain to SATURN and your local dealer. Go on the record. SATURN is not thrilled with this practice, and maybe they can whisper the right guidance into the ears of local dealers. I should think the threat of "limited future allocaitons" might just do the trick.

Also, while I was there, a Silver Solstice drove up to the service area and the employee I was chatting with said something like "...and there's another Solstice in for service. We've had a LOT of problems with top fit and wind noise". I hope the folks at SKY are learning something from our little sister. Maybe that's why we're all still waiting for the first cars to roll out. I'd rather have my SKY later if they are working out some of these bugs now.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
SATN SKY said:
I dropped by my dealership yesterday to further press my dismay over their MSRP + $5,000 pricing policy. While I was there, one of the employees pointed out they had 6 (six) Solstices on the lot and in the showroom, all with the same $5,000 upcharge. They're starting to get a little dusty. Apparently the $5,000 is no longer quite so easy to talk prospective buyers into. This should bode well for us SKY geeks. Sure, dealers who wish to pursue this tactic will be able to sell SOME at the upcharge, but I think the practice will be relatively short-lived. Even if you are willing to (or considering) paying a premium, PLEASE complain to SATURN and your local dealer. Go on the record. SATURN is not thrilled with this practice, and maybe they can whisper the right guidance into the ears of local dealers. I should think the threat of "limited future allocaitons" might just do the trick.

Also, while I was there, a Silver Solstice drove up to the service area and the employee I was chatting with said something like "...and there's another Solstice in for service. We've had a LOT of problems with top fit and wind noise". I hope the folks at SKY are learning something from our little sister. Maybe that's why we're all still waiting for the first cars to roll out. I'd rather have my SKY later if they are working out some of these bugs now.

:agree: just would like some type of REALISTIC... TRUE.. timeline... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm feeling it SKY BABY. I put my deposit down and became first on the list way back in April 2005. Then, IN JANUARY 2006, they tell me the car is going to cost me another $5 grand. So what do I do? It's too late to be #1 on somebody else's list, and I don't want to pay the $5 grand. Talk about rock and hard place.

My number one pet peeve is I HATE TO WAIT. Not in lines, not at cash registers, not for a doctor, not for a meeting, and certainly not for a consumer product like a car. Now I understand you can't buy something until its for sale, so I don't mind waiting for production to begin, but they did say SPRING 2006. My car better be here on or before March 21st (SPRING). After that, my patience will wear very thin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't know how they keep getting solstices in for top fit. This has not been a discussed issue on the solstice forum. As for wind noise, as the sky has the insulated top standard, the solstices is optional. People who have never owned a convertible before have to learn that no convertible is without wind noise, no matter how insulated you have it. Your top is canvas. I have a solstice in southwest michigan and even in the cold, my top and most I know and have heard of operates exactly the way it should. Dealer you were talking to sounds shady.

I know of dealers this way also that have solstices sitting there because of their huge mark-up, but as the solstice production catches up, this will decrease, leaving it hard for them to mark up the sister car (sky) also because of the better availability of the solstice at msrp.

MY 2 Cents. Hope sky production is in full swing soon, i own a solstice, but also love the sky and would love to see another kappa on the road. They are pretty scarce on my side of the state, i have yet to see one driving on the road.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
SATN SKY said:
My number one pet peeve is I HATE TO WAIT. Not in lines, not at cash registers, not for a doctor, not for a meeting, and certainly not for a consumer product like a car. Now I understand you can't buy something until its for sale, so I don't mind waiting for production to begin, but they did say SPRING 2006. My car better be here on or before March 21st (SPRING). After that, my patience will wear very thin.
I understand the frustration over waiting but keep in mind, Spring STARTS on 20 March and ends on June 21 or so. I'm just going to wait. When my keys are placed in my hand then and only then will I know when I get my Sky.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
bigdog said:
I understand the frustration over waiting but keep in mind, Spring STARTS on 20 March and ends on June 21 or so. I'm just going to wait. When my keys are placed in my hand then and only then will I know when I get my Sky.
:agree:

If Summer starts with no word THEN I might get peeved

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Any real issues with the Solstice have all been taken seriously and resolved by GM in timely fashions. Diff leaks were the most recent issue but those have been resolved and there's a GM tech bulletin. That was an issue with a part made by a 3rd party that also caused issues with CTS's. Top leaks have all been resolved by GM also. Wind noise is inherent to owning a Roadster. I mean also what do you expect from THE CHEAPEST Roadster available in the USA, BMW/Mercedes level quailty? Taking some time to mess with the buttresses seems to help resolve wind noise some too, and the liner might help as well.

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Honestly, as long as my current car doesn't give out - I don't mind waiting a SHORT time. As long as we are on the list, we will still be the first people in our areas with the cool cars! I'd rather they make sure everything is exactly the way they want before churning them out…

I currently have a 96 SC2. I picked up one of the very first ones available. A short time later, I was told that there was a modification to the rain-gutter (?). Every time I open the door when it is wet outside, water pours on my shoulder, and continues to drip on my shoulder until the door seal has dried. Saturn noticed the problem and applied a correction right away - just not to the early editions...

SO – I can wait a SHORT time if necessary, but I still am anxious to get my SKY!

Patience my little grasshoppers...

:rolleyes:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Ok... Ok... we have established when SPRING Is... and i do understand they want to make sure everything with our babies is FINE... i totally agree.... BUT... when the people who are suppose to know about it the most keep giving conflicting info...... that is when i get nuts... I am driving my Chevy Avalanche... all the bells and whistles... and i would like to save that for driving up to our cabin and pulling our Ski Natique..... and.. of course "winter" driving.... we have several other cars in our driveway.. ie: parking lot.... but, i am just not a patient person. I am willing to wait because i know the Sky will be the hottest car around and we will all have a grand time visiting.. and going on roadtrips with them..... i will try to be calmer.... i think the "group sessions" are helping... SkyBaby-07

ugh.. on another note... the plate that they sent me was wrong.... i just got a paper from Sec. of State..... the one i was assigned is SEXY SKY ... cant wait for that now... Have a great day...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Spag said:
Honestly, as long as my current car doesn't give out - I don't mind waiting a SHORT time. As long as we are on the list, we will still be the first people in our areas with the cool cars! I'd rather they make sure everything is exactly the way they want before churning them out…

I currently have a 96 SC2. I picked up one of the very first ones available. A short time later, I was told that there was a modification to the rain-gutter (?). Every time I open the door when it is wet outside, water pours on my shoulder, and continues to drip on my shoulder until the door seal has dried. Saturn noticed the problem and applied a correction right away - just not to the early editions...

SO – I can wait a SHORT time if necessary, but I still am anxious to get my SKY!

Patience my little grasshoppers...

:rolleyes:
I don't think I could control myself if I lived that close..I'd be hanging on the fence, looking through the doors, talking to employee's at the local pub (best place) after their shift is up (buy them a beer or two)..Yeah, that's where I would be...

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
LOL...

If I appear to be patient - you are fooled...

I am attempting one of those "self-help" techniques - trying to convince myself to remain calm and patient.

Trying to convince myself not to sleep at the front entrance of the plant...

Just in case I could peek in when they open the doors...

Not that it has ever crossed my mind... :crazy:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
eldeeko said:
I don't think I could control myself if I lived that close..I'd be hanging on the fence, looking through the doors, talking to employee's at the local pub (best place) after their shift is up (buy them a beer or two)..Yeah, that's where I would be...
I would give the people that worked on the assembly line, that came to the pub to drink a few brews, my dogs iffen I could find them after they done run off after that there Honder. But dogs will be dogs! Hows about me givin those assembly line workers my lazy cat, yeah, that's what I'll do. After all my lazy cat drinks Corona beer, and watchs the animal channel. :cheers: :cheers: Skip....

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Spag said:
LOL...

If I appear to be patient - you are fooled...

I am attempting one of those "self-help" techniques - trying to convince myself to remain calm and patient.

Trying to convince myself not to sleep at the front entrance of the plant...

Just in case I could peek in when they open the doors...

Not that it has ever crossed my mind... :crazy:
Can we ALL..... come camp on your lawn??????... MARATHON CAMPOUT... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm Still Chillin' :cheers: :chill: ing:willy: :cool:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
nighttripper said:
I'm Still Chillin' :cheers: :chill: ing:willy: :cool:
Nighttripper, i think i need some of your chill pills..... SkyBaby-07 you seem as cool as a cucumber..... KUDOS......

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I have quit cold turkey calling my dealer. :lol: :lol: Plus I went through the whole Solstice thing at the onset, only to fall later for the Sky and go through it again:) :chill: ing

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
SkyBaby said:
Can we ALL..... come camp on your lawn??????... MARATHON CAMPOUT... SkyBaby-07
I'm up for that - we can watch the plant in shifts... :willy:

I was on my cell phone on the way to work the other day, chatting with my mom. I passed the plant and was getting on the highway when I realized that I was passing a SKY - I freaked! Totally forgot that I was on the telephone and almost caused my mom to have a heart attack - she thought I had been in an accident!

It isn't any easier being close to the plant - I keep getting teased!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Spag said:
I'm up for that - we can watch the plant in shifts... :willy:

I was on my cell phone on the way to work the other day, chatting with my mom. I passed the plant and was getting on the highway when I realized that I was passing a SKY - I freaked! Totally forgot that I was on the telephone and almost caused my mom to have a heart attack - she thought I had been in an accident!

It isn't any easier being close to the plant - I keep getting teased!
Well.... i wont tease ya.... JUST TRY TO GET INFO.... wow.. that has to be so cool... hmmmm.... ok... i will take the 2-6 shift...... i like to sleep in.... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
68 Posts
Used to be you got a new car to keep up with the Jones's.
Now you just get a new dream to keep up with the jonesers.
It's a chick car. Why haven't I snaped out of it yet?
I bet it's because I don't want to have to keep that new Camaro's belly full.
That Camero was another car at the show that looked way better off paper.
You know why they call it Sky right?
Cause that's what you'll be lookin at while you get your wallet out if you bring the wife. :banghead:
Hello I'm:
New to the crew & short on patience too. Already thinking of ways to cut in line.
The redline line that is. Solsky GXP anyone?
Or for those on a budget? You just get the GXP & full coverage. Who knows, maybe? The next freakin day a gang of young muslems confuses you for a cartoonist. By the time you convince them your not even from holland. They already finish off the front end. Then to make things worse, the body shop puts the wrong front end on your now dealership custom.
I don't know the hole idea sounds a little polish to me. Maybe I'll just get the GXP and live with the butt ugly thing. Oh wait it's not the butt thats ugly.
The wheels are starting to turn again. Bartender give that man parked in front of me another shot!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts