Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you happy with the factory installed tires on the Sky? I really like the tread pattern on the F1's shown on the concept. The remind me very much of the tires I had on my Nissan. Sexy!

I was going to see if my dealer would swap the existing tires for F1's. Is it worth it? Will I be missing out? I know the F1's are summer only tires. And spring, summer, fall are the only times I'll be driving my car anyway.

What does the tread of the factory installed tire look like? What's the ride like?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was going to make this a poll but after my last attempt, I'm a little gun shy.:lol:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think the tires on it are pretty descent. I'll wear them out then shop around. I don't know if I'll replace them with the same exact tire but they seem to perform really well so far even though I won't be able to open it up for another 200 miles. I've been working 12 hour shifts since I picked her up so only 100miles a day right now.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am happy with the ride comfort, low noise, & performance of the stock tires but just wish the tread pattern was more aggressive looking to complement the lines of the Sky.

I definitely like the F1's though and will consider switching to those in the future once my stock ones wear out. :thumbs:

Here are pictures of the stock tire, Eagle RS-A and the Eagle F1 GS-D3 with it's distinctive V-tread pattern.

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
rick112 said:
I was going to make this a poll but after my last attempt, I'm a little gun shy.:lol:
I really like the tires that came with my Sky..Seems not all of them come with the same tread pattern..When mine do need replacing I think I'll go with these again..

Attachments

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Looks like the dealer put on custom tires on those custom rims, buddy.

Are those stil 18-inchers, or something else?

·
Registered
727 Posts
eldeeko said:
I really like the tires that came with my Sky..Seems not all of them come with the same tread pattern..When mine do need replacing I think I'll go with these again..
Those are not factory rims or tires on your Sky. Could you let us know what tires those are? Also, do you have a good closeup pic of the wheel from the side?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Are there any advantages to running F1's...other than looks? Do they grip better in wet/snowy conditions?

·
Registered
420 Posts
nscrbug said:
Are there any advantages to running F1's...other than looks? Do they grip better in wet/snowy conditions?
The F1's are a summer tire and are not intended for colder temperatures or on snow. The dry/wet performance of the F1 is great though and will have more gripping power when cornering as well.

If you will be driving in snowy conditions however, then you would be better off with an all-season tire, such as the RS-A due to it's different tread & shoulder block design. See pictures above...hope this helps.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
eldeeko said:
I could live with those!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I hope to find some different rims then add diffferent tires,having two sets for the varying seasons might be nice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you go to the tirerack website, you can find reviews of both the F1 GS-D3 tire and the stock RS-A tire.

The RS-A is a High Performance All weather tire. It got average ratings in it's class. There are 13 other tires that are rated higher. When asked if they would buy again, most said no.

The F1 GS-D3 is a Max Performance Summer tire. It got extremely high ratings in it's class. There were only 2 tires that rated higher. Rated superior in most catagories. No snow or ice ratings, so you yankees don't even think about it.:nono: Most said they would buy this tire again.

Both tires were pretty close in cost. I'm going to try and convince my dealer to swap them out.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I like the tires that came on my Sky...... they are basically the same ones that came on my BMW M3.....SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
802 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Those are not factory rims or tires on your Sky. Could you let us know what tires those are? Also, do you have a good closeup pic of the wheel from the side?
If that is the case then someone is running around with my tires..I only paid for 18" AKUZA 324 Wheels. The "Get Ready instructions" say "No other work expressed or implied". Those are the same tires that were on her when delivered to my dealer. I checked them out, they look more expensive but they are not.

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well they sure have an agressive pattern. I like them. Are they all season? What brand and model please?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks Sunny Sky for the post. I learned alot from it. The V-pattern tires were the ones I'd seen, the first time I saw the SKY car.

·
Registered
802 Posts
rick112 said:
Well they sure have an agressive pattern. I like them. Are they all season? What brand and model please?
I guess pictures speak louder than words..

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
Well, those certainly are not the stock tires. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

From the pics, looks like they are Essenza Type 210R's. I don't know anything about them, but if your happy that is all that counts! I believe they are sold under the Summit Tire label.

Stock would have been Goodyear Eagle RS-A's.

Those are nice looking wheels too!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Well, those certainly are not the stock tires. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

From the pics, looks like they are Essenza Type 210R's. I don't know anything about them, but if your happy that is all that counts! I believe they are sold under the Summit Tire label.

Stock would have been Goodyear Eagle RS-A's.

Those are nice looking wheels too!
No special order..came with car from factory! I like them too and I did see that Goodyear Eagle's were stock item...could be they were "Out of Stock" at the time as this was pretty early in production. Actually I think they are the less expensive of the two brands from checking "google" for prices.
245/45R18
These are made by Goodyear: the speed capability of this tires is up to 149 mph/240 km/h
Don't think I'll be going there, even downhill.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'll check on it, but I do not think they would have come from the factory. I suspect they were dealer installed.

I know the car's suspension was tuned specifically for the RS-A tires. Even things like the ABS tuning have to be set up for a specific tire, with a specific tire compond, etc. The RS-A's the Sol uses are also kappa specific RS-A's which are specifically engineered for only this platform. There are other RS-A's in the same size out there for the Maxima, but they are different.

This thread on Sol Forum gets into some of this in detail
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19024

Anyway, I do not think they would just switch tires at the factory. I will try some sources and see if it is possible or not. However, I highly suspect these are dealer installed and not factory. The rims certainly are not factory anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts