Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
OP here.
I bought a few different scrap yard GM radios hoping to swap parts and such to get my radio working right. But with a total of 4 radios and all 4 being different enough, I gave up and found a mail order radio repair service called Factory Radio. They charge $125 which includes shipping in both directions. I shipped my radio to them today to repair the on/off problem, button illumination problem, and cd screeching problem. They claim it will take them about a week in the shop plus the transport time.

FWIW, every scrap yard radio I bought had a significantly different main circuit board. Before tossing them, I played with the removal of the security chip, or so what I thought was the security chip. That was an experiment that became a waste of my time. No success unlocking any of them. One of the 3 scrap yard radios, I was able to get the display to say VIN, but I never could wake up the radio like is done with other style GM radios on YouTube.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
I have been told it takes the dealer to re program the radio to work. No real Idea.

I have several of them but never attempted to change them out. Thought about putting the 6 CD one in my car but went with a new Kenwood with back camera and front camera.

My guess is that you will have to have it reprogramed when you get it back, but not certain by any means.

Good luck on the repair.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
... Before tossing them, I played with the removal of the security chip, or so what I thought was the security chip. That was an experiment that became a waste of my time. No success unlocking any of them. One of the 3 scrap yard radios, I was able to get the display to say VIN, but I never could wake up the radio like is done with other style GM radios on YouTube.
What did you do in your unlocking experiment? The method involves removing the old eeprom and replacing with a new, blank eeprom. Is that what you did?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been told it takes the dealer to re program the radio to work. No real Idea.

I have several of them but never attempted to change them out. Thought about putting the 6 CD one in my car but went with a new Kenwood with back camera and front camera.

My guess is that you will have to have it reprogramed when you get it back, but not certain by any means.

Good luck on the repair.
[
What happens to the security system when you replace the factory radio with the Kenwood? and does the Kenwood play well with ON Star?

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Security system remains the same, no problems, no problems with On Star that I am aware of. I have it, but don't think I have ever used it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
TomatoSoup's Question:
What did you do in your unlocking experiment? The method involves removing the old eeprom and replacing with a new, blank eeprom. Is that what you did?
-------------------------------
My Answer:
Per a few YouTube videos out there on this style of radio, I only removed the chip, not replace it with a blank one. I figured there was no harm in trying. The problem is that there are so many different circuit board configurations. I had a hard time identifying the exact chip to remove. In one radio, I wondered if I removed the wrong chip. I looked at the numbers on chips and their relationship to micro-processors and such to take a better educated guess at which to remove.

All I really learned was that I should have sent my original radio in for repair. Hopefully it will come back good as new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Security system remains the same, no problems, no problems with On Star that I am aware of. I have it, but don't think I have ever used it.
Thx skersfan.... Not so concerned about On-star but the security part was a question mark. What model number Kenwood did you go with and is it plug and play or do you need an adapter harness to make the steering wheel controls work with it ect...

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Per a few YouTube videos out there on this style of radio, I only removed the chip, not replace it with a blank one. I figured there was no harm in trying. The problem is that there are so many different circuit board configurations. I had a hard time identifying the exact chip to remove. In one radio, I wondered if I removed the wrong chip. I looked at the numbers on chips and their relationship to micro-processors and such to take a better educated guess at which to remove.

All I really learned was that I should have sent my original radio in for repair. Hopefully it will come back good as new.
Yeah, that's not gonna work. You'd need to follow the how-to thread I linked to on my Post #20. That post also gives the EEPROM type is (what chip part to look for on the PCB)

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
Thx skersfan.... Not so concerned about On-star but the security part was a question mark. What model number Kenwood did you go with and is it plug and play or do you need an adapter harness to make the steering wheel controls work with it ect...
Yes, you will need an adapter. There are a couple of threads here and on the Solstice forum that detail rauio installations quite thoroughly, right down to how to take the dash apart.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
OP here again,

After much investment and messing around, I am back to square one.

The radio that came installed in my 2007 Sky works fine concerning the volume issue that has been discussed. The reason for replacing it is that none of the control buttons illuminate when the instrument panel lighting is turned on. I am tired of buying radios for the face with no success and so I won't do that anymore. I think there is an internal problem with the main circuit board inside the body of my radio. So I am looking at a replacement Sky radio.

My question is: Are These 3 Radios Interchangeable?
All radios have identical cooling fans in the top. If you cover up the part numbers, you could not tell them apart. They look that identical.

My Radio Today With Buttons That Don't Illuminate
Model No: 15857649
Ref No: CQ-JG1661YC

The Radio I Want To Replace It With (No Programming Required)
Model No: 15948458
Ref No: CQ-EG1674YC

Second Choice Replacement (Programming Required)
Model No: 25779587
Ref No: CQ-JG1664YC

Is there a resource for getting solid answers to my question?

·
Registered
17,411 Posts
This has been answered infinitely on this forum. The simplest solution was to take the replacement radio in and have the tech 2 reinstall your Vin#. PERIOD.

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
OP here again,

After much investment and messing around, I am back to square one. ..........
Did you send your radio out for repair? I saw that you had found a place to have it done but missed the follow-up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Hi maroboromike,

Sorry for my ignorance on this subject.

Are you saying that dealer-programming of any stock Sky radio regardless of model number, to any stock Sky sound system with or without the various Monsoon & sub combinations, solves the excessive or inadequate volume issues that others have experienced?

That is the core of the question I was asking. I didn't want to buy a stock Sky radio, unlocked or not, only to discover I have incompatibility issues, even after visiting a dealer. I am trying to avoid spending another $260 in a used radio and a dealer visit, just to be right back to square one for the third time.

My apology for any irritation.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi JohnWR,

You ask an excellent question.

Yes I did send my radio out to be repaired. They just contacted me early this morning saying the main board inside the radio is bad, the radio is not repairable without changing the main board which renders it requiring dealer programming. So they are shipping it back to me and have refunded 100% of my payment.

I am tempted to just put the radio back in the car and turn on the interior lights to work it in the dark. But I know me. That would drive me nuts.

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
Ignore Mike, he prides himself on being a jerk. Unfortunately his attitude has alienated more than a few members.

My question is: Are These 3 Radios Interchangeable?
All radios have identical cooling fans in the top. If you cover up the part numbers, you could not tell them apart. They look that identical.

My Radio Today With Buttons That Don't Illuminate
Model No: 15857649
Ref No: CQ-JG1661YC

The Radio I Want To Replace It With (No Programming Required)
Model No: 15948458
Ref No: CQ-EG1674YC

Second Choice Replacement (Programming Required)
Model No: 25779587
Ref No: CQ-JG1664YC

Is there a resource for getting solid answers to my question?
A reference i found states that 15857649 and 25779587 are direct interchange, and fit 2007-2008 Sky. They are described as US8, single disc Monsoon.
15948458 is listed separately, and fits 2007 Sky. It is further described as US9, 6-disc changer.and Monsoon

If there is a source for solid answers about these things it has eluded me.

Bad luck on the repair, or lack thereof.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
JohnWR,

Thanks for that information. I am tempted to buy the unlocked 6-CD radio because I am a CD-Guy.

maroboromike reminds me of the people in my earlier years, with "rough" Chicago character. I hope he sees that I understand him and all is well. Our world is full of character flavor of all kinds.

JohnWR, I have greatly appreciated everyone's support through my restoration of Money-Pit, and your's has been exceptional.

·
Registered
17,411 Posts
Hi maroboromike,

Sorry for my ignorance on this subject.

Are you saying that dealer-programming of any stock Sky radio regardless of model number, to any stock Sky sound system with or without the various Monsoon & sub combinations, solves the excessive or inadequate volume issues that others have experienced?

That is the core of the question I was asking. I didn't want to buy a stock Sky radio, unlocked or not, only to discover I have incompatibility issues, even after visiting a dealer. I am trying to avoid spending another $260 in a used radio and a dealer visit, just to be right back to square one for the third time.

My apology for any irritation.
If u keep away from the GM USB radios...any stock radio can be programmed to your cars VIN. PERIOD. The administrators should have told u that from the beginning.

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
JohnWR,

Thanks for that information. I am tempted to buy the unlocked 6-CD radio because I am a CD-Guy.

maroboromike reminds me of the people in my earlier years, with "rough" Chicago character. I hope he sees that I understand him and all is well. Our world is full of character flavor of all kinds.

JohnWR, I have greatly appreciated everyone's support through my restoration of Money-Pit, and your's has been exceptional.
I've gotten a lot of help here, and try to pay it back (or forward, or sideways) whenever i can.

I haven't carried CDs since forever, and I'm not even sure if my player still works.

I misspoke when I said that Mike likes to be a jerk. I should have said that he likes to act like one here. I have had conversations with him and he is actually a great guy, probably like your "Chicago" acquaintances.

There is a lot of sensitivity here about searching, and about people asking questions that they haven't taken time to research for themselves. Mike is rather more agressive in his reaction to it than most.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
moroboromike,

I just bought that stock unlocked 2007-2008 Sky-specific radio I listed earlier, waiting now for it to be delivered. If something isn't right, then I think it would be time to visit a dealer.

Thanks for the clarity on Sky radios.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts