Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am thinking on replacing the OEM radio with an Atoto S8 android radio. I have read the whole forum and there a lot of information, so to synthesize it all somehow:

All i need is the radio itself plus two things: an interface such like the (pretty expensive) 155-41-1087-002 PAC CAN-BUS for car sounds as blinkers, doors and such to work properly plus a mounting kit like the Metra 95-3303 (which I cannot find in EU). About the steering wheel buttons they work seamlessly with all Atoto stuff. Is it all correct?

Another doubt i have is size: Will the Atoto S8 fit in my Opel GT or some cutting is needed to make space (which would be a big no-no for me).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because ..as u know, the radio is connected to many/other components in this car....most owners have/had issues trying to connect properly. Not worth the trouble.
I know it is not a trivial thing, but my OEM radio has a couple of malfunctioning buttons so i cant swap CDs anymore, plus i am becoming more and more confident doing stuff in the car (maybe too confident).

·
Super Moderator
6,334 Posts
The only issues you are likely to have will be the steering wheel controls and the sounds.

As you stated, the Atotos seem to handle the steering wheel controls well, although I do not know about the S8 specifically.

For size, compare it to the A6. I put one in my car and it fit without any cutting. I made a custom face plate because I did not like the look of the adapter ring, but it would have fit.

FYI: Mike gets very dramatic and tends to be negative.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I know it is not a trivial thing, but my OEM radio has a couple of malfunctioning buttons so i cant swap CDs anymore, plus i am becoming more and more confident doing stuff in the car (maybe too confident).
Malfunctioning buttons?

If you later decide to remain stock, I have an OEM radio refresh kit available for $28.50 (CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES AND DETAILS) that includes the supporting circuit board to assure that all the buttons work as well as look good.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Hello! I am thinking on replacing the OEM radio with an Atoto S8 android radio. I have read the whole forum and there a lot of information, so to synthesize it all somehow:
I think you'll be very happy with an android radio. I suggest though - that you purchase a second phone - hook it up to the cigarette lighter - so your car has it's own land-line.

Use the "find devices" app to search for your main phone. That way you can use your landline GPS to find your primary phone if you misplace it.

Before buying... See if you can find an android radio that supports a rear camera. You'd like that a lot too.

·
Registered
17,954 Posts
I think you'll be very happy with an android radio. I suggest though - that you purchase a second phone - hook it up to the cigarette lighter - so your car has it's own land-line.

Use the "find devices" app to search for your main phone. That way you can use your landline GPS to find your primary phone if you misplace it.

Before buying... See if you can find an android radio that supports a rear camera. You'd like that a lot too.
All of you do not understand that he is in Spain....On Star was not included on GTs, therefore wiring for the radio is different along with NO SHARK ANTENNA...and shipping cost to Europe is not 28 dollars...I don't know if XM is available in Europe....GTs are not made for America.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well to say the truth I don't even know what OnStar is. 😓
Anyway people on GT German forums (sadly mostly dead forums) have done it.
The C2RGM11 canbus interface, which is Solstice, Sky and GT compatible, is available at eBay in EU and USA (much cheaper in USA even after adding customs and shiping so I think will pull the trigger and buy it at USA), and there are kits like this Opel GT 2007-2009 Doppel-DIN Autoradio Radioblende ISO Adapter + Antenne Stecker | eBay which supposedly provide everything else.
For me fixing/modifying our cars is part of the fun. Radio change is a totally reversible operation, so if I can't make it work I will reinstall the oem unit (after repairing buttons) and return the S8 to Amazon. It is a win-win situation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

All S8 models support rear camera (a priority for me since I park backwards in a tiny garage) , and the ultra version, while a bit expensive, has his own SIM port, so it is a cellphone itself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only issues you are likely to have will be the steering wheel controls and the sounds.

As you stated, the Atotos seem to handle the steering wheel controls well, although I do not know about the S8 specifically.

For size, compare it to the A6. I put one in my car and it fit without any cutting. I made a custom face plate because I did not like the look of the adapter ring, but it would have fit.

FYI: Mike gets very dramatic and tends to be negative.
A6:

S8:

looks like both are identical size.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Let me ask a question....why the Atoto??? Why not a "known" namebrand like Pioneer or Sony? I just ripped my Monsoon out and redid my entire system this last summer. I went with Kenwood for the receiver. I would ONLY buy my receiver from Crutchfield. Their service is second to none. I spent several hours on the phone with them making sure my system was hooked up correctly. Furthermore, they have plug'n'play kits for you to just use the factory plugs to the receiver, and if they don't, they'll make it for your. Putting the receiver in the car was easier then trying to mount my new amp.... I can also tell you that we have "shorter" receivers (behind the face) and a lot of normal Double DIN systems could be a problem. Not saying they will be, but you need to get the dimensions and check the depth of it against the factory unit.

Reactions: Gtholic and CoopSky

·
Registered
340 Posts
I installed the Atoto SA102 a few months ago and it turned out great. I initially bought the Atoto over other brands mostly due to price. I wasn’t sure how well the install would turn out or if I would even like it so I didn’t want to drop a lot of cash just in case. Now that it’s installed I’m actually pretty happy with the end result and will probably keep the Atoto for a while unless I find a unit I like better. But honestly the Atoto does everything I was wanting just fine. Only issues I had during install were mostly related to the wiring harness I used and not directly related to the head unit. Well there might also have been a few related to my lack of patience too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Let me ask a question....why the Atoto??? Why not a "known" namebrand like Pioneer or Sony? I just ripped my Monsoon out and redid my entire system this last summer. I went with Kenwood for the receiver. I would ONLY buy my receiver from Crutchfield. Their service is second to none. I spent several hours on the phone with them making sure my system was hooked up correctly. Furthermore, they have plug'n'play kits for you to just use the factory plugs to the receiver, and if they don't, they'll make it for your. Putting the receiver in the car was easier then trying to mount my new amp.... I can also tell you that we have "shorter" receivers (behind the face) and a lot of normal Double DIN systems could be a problem. Not saying they will be, but you need to get the dimensions and check the depth of it against the factory unit.
Looks like the dimensions of both Atoto units are shown in post #13.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Let me ask a question....why the Atoto??? Why not a "known" namebrand like Pioneer or Sony?
I have a Pioneer head unit that is supposed to be state of the art as of 2019. It has GPS navigation, a backup camera, a CD player and a DVD player.

I also upgraded the monsoon amplifier and put in a big 60W speaker and replaced the tweeters in the pillars.

I estimate I spent 1600 total.

Now. I like the GPS and use it very often. I like being able to use my Bluetooth phone through the car speakers too.

But as far as sound is concerned - considering that I have OEM dual exhaust - the difference between the Pioneer and the OEM unit isn't that significant.

The sound of the engine drowns out high frequency sounds. When I had a quiet MagnaFlow exhaust on my SL2 I enjoyed listening to music more.

There are exceptions... Like when the engine is turned off - or when I'm listening to the percussion when playing a Die Antwoord CD at medium or loud volume.. (Not that often.)

The OEM had the advantage of being a six CD player. And I used that a lot.

The 2007 Sky has the advantage of having a cool sounding exhaust - and being a more powerful car than the SL2. In the Sky a high quality sound from the head unit isn't as important.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Because price (around 400€ everything) because with Android possibilities are almost unlimited and because Amazon reviews are overwhelming positive on Atoto. Also, while sound quality is not one of my priorities, less in a noisy roadster, the Atoto S8 series is fairly good in it too, according to reviews.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts