Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,334 Posts
Thank you. It will be of great help. BTW, did you finally got the can bus interface to have blinkers tick-tock and other car sounds?
No, I still have a car that does not speak to me.

I know that i can buy an adapter and have sounds through it, but I really want to build my own so that i can route the sound through the stock speaker, and so that i can customize the sounds. Unfortunately my schedule has been too full to allow me time to work on it enough. I am making some progress though!

Reactions: Gtholic

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No, I still have a car that does not speak to me.

I know that i can buy an adapter and have sounds through it, but I really want to build my own so that i can route the sound through the stock speaker, and so that i can customize the sounds. Unfortunately my schedule has been too full to allow me time to work on it enough. I am making some progress though!
I have finally bought this one: C2R-GM11 Radio Replacement Interface for Chevrolet/Pontiac/Saturn Retain Chimes | eBay
Lets see how it works. Will post updates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My biggest complaint about my pioneer headunit is that it’s completely washed out when the top is down. Does the Atoto unit suffer the same fate?
Do any head units out there not washout when you drop the top?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My biggest complaint about my pioneer headunit is that it’s completely washed out when the top is down. Does the Atoto unit suffer the same fate?
The only solution i can think of is a 10 inch radio since the screen is external and can be rotated and tilted. Problem is they are pretty horrible IMO.

·
Super Moderator
6,334 Posts
I agree with @Gtholic that the main problem is the angle of the screen. That said, my Atoto A6 is better than i expected, and is viewable much of the time.

I did see a solution (used for a different car, and for a different reason) that wuld solve the problem elegantly, but requires quite a bit of work. The design of the A6 is such that the face plate can be removed and, by cutting and extending a ribon cable, be re-configured in a way that would allow it to be tilted down, thus eliminating pretty much all of the wash-out. Since i was making a custom escutcheon anyway i considered doing this, but the viewability has been good enough that I have decided to skip all of the hassle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think I’ll give that anti glare screen protector a shot. I’ll report back when it’s warm enough in MI and the salt is off the road for a test drive. (Hint: be patient)
Thanks for the rec Nasher!

·
Registered
890 Posts
The "glare" problem is with every radio including the stock ones.

I replaced my original Type-1 convertible top that had many problems, with a perfect Type-2 from Hoosier_GXP. By chance the rear window in the new top was heavily darkened by a previous owner. That solves the radio "glare" problem, but of coarse only when the top is up.

When I bought my Sky, the original orange screen was easy to remove. I gave it a gentle matt finish using 0000 steel wool. That made it a little better under certain conditions, but a lot worse in other conditions. I don't recommend doing that.

I have since replaced the orange lens with an aqua lens from a Chevy Cobalt, done to coordinate with my daylight LED interior color scheme. I polished that lens to a mirror-finish before adhering it on.

I wonder if protective screen film marketed for cell phones is a solution, but I lack motivation.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I wonder if protective screen film marketed for cell phones is a solution, but I lack motivation.
The stuff you really want (though I cannot find anyone that sells it any more) is the coated anti-glare film, where the coating is like that on prescription glasses or camera lenses. I did buy some one time many years ago, for my old Archos portable video player. Works great and cuts of FAR more glare than those matt ones - which are all you can seem to get now. :(

·
Super Moderator
6,334 Posts
The stuff you really want (though I cannot find anyone that sells it any more) is the coated anti-glare film, where the coating is like that on prescription glasses or camera lenses. I did buy some one time many years ago, for my old Archos portable video player. Works great and cuts of FAR more glare than those matt ones - which are all you can seem to get now. :(
This may be similar .....

Attachments

21 - 33 of 33 Posts