Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Bogie - do you mean the letter A and the letter B are the same shade/color or the squares are the same shade/color.

If you mean the squares - I'm more wasted than I think.

rhys
The SQUARES are the same.

Don't believe me? Load the image in windows "paint", or your preferred graphics tool. Cut out a chuck of either square and slide it over next to the other square.

In some image tools you can actually get the metrics on the shade. They are both the same.

You're not wasted. It's all about how humans process the information.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Don't believe me? Load the image in windows "paint", or your preferred graphics tool. Cut out a chuck of either square and slide it over next to the other square.

In some image tools you can actually get the metrics on the shade. They are both the same.

Yup. I tested it in paint, and yes their the same color!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Whutt??

(yada yada...)

SO you were saying???
Please, come at this from a rational point of view.

OK, so that's your experience with Honda. Mine has been that's there's always a slight amount of orange peel to their paint jobs, it's never a truly smooth surface.

All the Hondas I've basing that statement from were factory fresh, never re-painted, that model year cars.

If you'll come off your high horse, and cut the "Yo I know more than U, so shutup" attitude, then we might be able to get somewhere. I might go to national shows, but I do know what a good paint job is. (And no, my Sky isn't perfect either.)

The point still stands: My Civic did not have a smooth coat of paint, neither did my mom's accord. Neither did some of my friends Hondas. Did I freak out about it? Heck no, I just didn't sweat it.

Now, do you have any close-up shots of the stock paint on your Hondas? I'd like to see them.

Why are you so incredibly anal about minor flaws with American-made cars. I can 100% garuntee that there are faults with Japanese-made cars. (Remember the door handles?) But, from what I gather about your personality you simply overlook them, because you're convinced they're "better." That's fine, many people are like that. I guess I'm the same way, but only on the American manufacturer's side. So don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. :) So much of what we see as being right or wrong with our cars is based off of what we're looking for in them.

As for gaps between panels, well, there's no denying that the Japanese do a better job there. Is that some sort of robot being better than a human thing, as is claimed? I don't know.

One more thing: Don't come down on me as an American-only type of car guy. Believe me, if I'd had the money they'd be a BMW Z4 sitting in the garage, not a Sky. :cool::cheers:

In my book, Japanese vehicles < American vehicles < European vehicles

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

OK, so that's your experience with Honda. Mine has been that's there's always a slight amount of orange peel to their paint jobs, it's never a truly smooth surface.

All the Hondas I've basing that statement from were factory fresh, never re-painted, that model year cars.

If you'll come off your high horse, and cut the "Yo I know more than U, so shutup" attitude, then we might be able to get somewhere. I might go to national shows, but I do know what a good paint job is. (And no, my Sky isn't perfect either.)

The point still stands: My Civic did not have a smooth coat of paint, neither did my mom's accord. Neither did some of my friends Hondas. Did I freak out about it? Heck no, I just didn't sweat it.

Now, do you have any close-up shots of the stock paint on your Hondas? I'd like to see them.

Why are you so incredibly anal about minor flaws with American-made cars. I can 100% garuntee that there are faults with Japanese-made cars. (Remember the door handles?) But, from what I gather about your personality you simply overlook them, because you're convinced they're "better." That's fine, many people are like that. I guess I'm the same way, but only on the American manufacturer's side. So don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. :) So much of what we see as being right or wrong with our cars is based off of what we're looking for in them.

As for gaps between panels, well, there's no denying that the Japanese do a better job there. Is that some sort of robot being better than a human thing, as is claimed? I don't know.

One more thing: Don't come down on me as an American-only type of car guy. Believe me, if I'd had the money they'd be a BMW Z4 sitting in the garage, not a Sky. :cool::cheers:

If you read about the Kappa. GM knew that the panel gaps were not going to be very good on the sky or the solstice. These were the first cars that they were using panel hydroforming on.

As far as Hondas having perfect factory paint. That's a load.:lol: My Honda certainly didn't and it also had clearcoat adhesion problems.
I have never seen an absolutely perfect paint job on any vehicle. If you think the paint is perfect on any car you haven't looked close enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Right you are! Amazing.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

A ton actually. go to Matts Performance look at show attended. Now the site has not been updated and if you would like some hi-def shots I can sent you them they are about 3 MB a pic.

Why are you so incredibly anal about minor flaws with American-made cars.
I guess I have been raised to a hire level of expectation. I am surrounded by Lexus, Infinity, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborgini's, Bentley the list goes on and on. This is when I am at show.

Did you know my Acura beat out a 250K+ Lamborghini at show not an old one a brand new one.

I am not downing the people I am downing GM for crappy paint and no GM can't touch Japan for paint fit and finish.

The only thing I don't like about Japan paint on the cars is that the paint is too thin on low line cars. Still great looking just not thick so it will scratch easier. Now the highend cars get the best paint.

My thing is that paint system have come a long way in the last 10 years. GM could have a fit and finish better than Japan, but they skimp to save cash make themselves look better on paper.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
The human perception of shade differences can vary significantly. Note that square A and square B in the following are the same shade/color.

Believe me I know this color theory all too well, being in printing. Surrounding color, and reflected color cause more issues on press OK's than anything else. It works the same way with full color swatches as well.

Here is a great link to read:

Apple - Pro - Insights and Ideas / Color - Tools: Caponigro on Color

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Whutt??

I have had three Hondas one Acura. My paint was perfect the body lines were perfect. Bad paint orange peel? Maybe you bought used elcheapo blue titled repainted units from Mexico or may you are confuse with Hyundia or something from Korea or Vietnam. :rolleyes:

I have friends who show with me in RSXs, TSXs, RLs and TL's Even honda Civics durde dur.... :lol:

I have yet to see a bad paint job from the factory on one of them all the way back to the 90's

But wait don't take my word for it. Check out my website: Matts Performance and check out the shows I have won and pictures of my flawless factory paint. Check out my team site allstars.com.

Since I have been showing cars and winning best of show or first in national shows. I might know what I am talking about when I say the paint on GM cars is CRAP! period!

Maybe I should close my eye's so I don't have to be disgusted every time I look at my car or even the other cars on the lot as the Saturn/GM people stated I do. :skep:

I think we all with paint that does not match up perfectly need to bring a class action law suit up on this issue.

Hell, I have paint gun rings in my paint. It's easy to see the little round gun marks. They have already repainted my rear hatch painted, because you could see 280 grit sand marks in the paint! Not the clear coat the paint!

SO you were saying???

sorry to dig this up but i wanted to look at your show cars... RSX, looks clean

but wtf were you thinking about with that HUGE ass spoiler on the old civic "R"? LOL...i wont bust you on the altezzas, their dumb but i had them for a few months... but why the spoiler??? mr anti-gm?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
sorry to dig this up but i wanted to look at your show cars... RSX, looks clean

but wtf were you thinking about with that HUGE ass spoiler on the old civic "R"? LOL...i wont bust you on the altezzas, their dumb but i had them for a few months... but why the spoiler??? mr anti-gm?
Uhhem.. that would be back in 2000 the civic is a 98 when they were in style and the rage what was that 2000. LOL!

Big wings and altezza's were hot fad from 1998-2003. I sold that car in 2002 for 17K just like that. I only owed 6K. 10K profit minus parts ain't bad.

The wing was ok looked better with the side panels on it.

Now people today would consider it a little RICE, but back at then it was clean and cool and I was modeling the car after the Civic Type R. I had a lot of JDM equipment in the car. If I had finished it would have had a custom graphics, a B20 Frank turbo charged, with the ITR tranny and Hondata. I had all the parts, but when the RSX came out I was all over that. Bizzam! You see what I did with that. My upgrades follow times and trends even my car changes over the years in each show.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Uhhem.. that would be back in 2000 the civic is a 98 when they were in style and the rage what was that 2000. LOL!

Big wings and altezza's were hot fad from 1998-2003. I sold that car in 2002 for 17K just like that. I only owed 6K. 10K profit minus parts ain't bad.

The wing was ok looked better with the side panels on it.

Now people today would consider it a little RICE, but back at then it was clean and cool and I was modeling the car after the Civic Type R. I had a lot of JDM equipment in the car. If I had finished it would have had a custom graphics, a B20 Frank turbo charged, with the ITR tranny and Hondata. I had all the parts, but when the RSX came out I was all over that. Bizzam! You see what I did with that. My upgrades follow times and trends even my car changes over the years in each show.

well the reason i posted was because i liked when u had it JDM, then it got all ricey.... i had my ricer time with stickers and altezzas, but luckally no wing

RSX does look pretty good, i'm not really in the show car scene any more, and i hate hondas, but u do a damn good job of presenting it

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
well the reason i posted was because i liked when u had it JDM, then it got all ricey.... i had my ricer time with stickers and altezzas, but luckally no wing

RSX does look pretty good, i'm not really in the show car scene any more, and i hate hondas, but u do a damn good job of presenting it
To each his own. I have the tropheys, checks, sponsors, and chics! Even an interview on Speed TV.

So thanks I guess! :cheers:

·
Registered
514 Posts
all modern mass produced cars have crappy paint these days in the 30k and under range. I remember back in the 90's the base coat/clear coat jobs were MUCH better and aged wonderfully. These days with the water based paint and low VOC paint its all orange peel and the flex additives put in the bumpers under the paint throws it off a shade or two, especially after a few years of UV light hitting it all day, its all cars, Toyota, GM, everyone

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a new owner of a silver pearl redline. i noticed the door panel and the quarter panel have two different shades when the sun shines on it. i checked the forum for pictures of other silver skys and had noticed it in the pictures. this is the only color i have noticed it on. i know it isn't just on my car, and wondering if anyone that owns a silver pearl had noticed the different color . it is very annoying.
The pearl silver metallic color variations from bumper to front end to side panels is unfortunately standard on Saturn Skys. Most of them have the mottling as well which seems to stand out more in the sunlight than the shade. A friend of mine who is also a silver sky owner, pointed out something about this situation, if you silver sky has mottling, then you know its the original paint....LoL

·
Registered
133 Posts
It’s the angles. The door panel and the quarter panel are NOT reflecting light at the same surface angle. The transition from the fender-door-quarter panel is not as fluid as you think. The quarter panel has the most severe angle change beginning right at the door edge. Put a straight edge across the the door and quarter panel gap, it won’t be flat. It’s a hard transition and not smooth. The silver color highlights it the best. I’ve been asked if my car has been repainted on more then one occasion over the past 12 years. Frustrating. It’s easier to just say yes. Look at the color of the top of the hood compared to side and even the fender in the photo. Angles. Look at the top edge of the door, below the window, it matches the quarter panel because the transition is flat there. Again, angles. 2nd photo, my car again. Sun, Earth and Saturn at different angles. looks better (pun intended).

·
Registered
904 Posts
It’s the angles. The door panel and the quarter panel are NOT reflecting light at the same surface angle. The transition from the fender-door-quarter panel is not as fluid as you think. The silver color highlights it the best. I’ve been asked if my car has been repainted on more then one occasion over the past 12 years.
Silver Pearl is a premium paint that has a slight candy like effect. Excerpt from Eastwood website:.
What is Pearl Paint?
Pearl Paint jobs are extremely subtle and look best out in full sunlight. A lot of modern cars use a pearl coat on normal colors like white to give a little pop when the vehicle is out in the sun. Much like a candy paint job pearl paint is a midcoat that is applied over a base color (usually white). Pearl paint has tiny flecks of iridescent mica added to a clear coating that acts a binder for the pearl. When applied over white or in between a base coat and a top coat (or sometimes mixed with a top coat) it can give a beautiful glimmer to your paint that can change by the angle of the sun or how you view the car. Pearl paint is a little easier to apply than a candy but shares some of the difficulties when spraying as you want to make sure it is applied evenly to avoid blotchiness in the final finish. ------- This is reflection not blotchiness::

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have silver pearl also. Gonna have to go with the angles theory. Seems if I walk around and look at it, the colors seem to match.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts