Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
When’s the next meet? New Braunfels Texas here, only about 35 miles away from Austin.
View attachment 113778
I’m working on one soon. I was hoping for the next couple weeks, but like I said in the above post, I’ve personally been dealing with a back injury. If I can get one setup this month I’ll let everyone know here and the FB group I’ve created above. If not, I’m hoping to do one early November.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I was going to set up a cruise for October, but I’ve been dealing with a chronic back issue the last few weeks that makes driving difficult. Hopefully it will be better in a couple more weeks.
Might want to schedule another Meet & Greet which may get more attendance? Now that temps have finally come down from triple digits and you've set up your FB group more people will show up. Maybe some place where people could gather outdoors for a while and shoot the breeze about the cars. :geek:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Alright guys, I'm thinking it's time we set up a November Meet & Greet/ cruise. The weather is usually spectacular for us here this time of year, but we're also still in the middle of COVID so choices are still somewhat limited. I know we don't have a lot of fall color changes in our neck of the woods, but usually mid November is when it happens if you would like to try for that. We would most likely need to head southwest towards the rivers in the hill country if that's an option.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Alright guys, I'm thinking it's time we set up a November Meet & Greet/ cruise.
We would most likely need to head southwest towards the rivers in the hill country if that's an option.
Southwest would be good. Maybe out to Devil's Backbone then around San Marcos down toward New Braunfels. Maybe stop at a Corps of Engineers park on Canyon Lake to shoot the breeze, nice outdoor setting. SeanJames may have a recommendation for an open air restaurant out that way?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Southwest would be good. Maybe out to Devil's Backbone then around San Marcos down toward New Braunfels. Maybe stop at a Corps of Engineers park on Canyon Lake to shoot the breeze, nice outdoor setting. SeanJames may have a recommendation for an open air restaurant out that way?
River road coming out of canyon lake into new braunfels should be pretty nice too. I’m down for that.

Here's an idea I put together. Wimberley to Canyon Lake to New Braunfels via River Rd.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Alright guys, I have a poll going on the FB group for what weekend works best for everyone. So far Nov 14th & 15th is the only vote so far. If this is the weekend that works for everyone, would you prefer Saturday or Sunday? and what times? @SeanJames since it looks like we're heading to New Braunfels and you're the local do you have any feedback on the route or where to grab a lunch?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Hey all, I’m down. fun stories and recommendations for repair shops to go to and not to go to.

head gasket replaced fun story

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Update on the November Meet, it looks like this Saturday currently has a 40% chance of rain in the morning through mid day so we would be looking at a Saturday afternoon run or Sunday may be the better option as it currently is forecasted to be 82 and sunny all day. I'm thinking a good meet spot would also be the HEB in Wimberley before the cruise over to Canyon Lake and then down to New Braunfels.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
With church, football, and laundry I imagine everyone's Sunday may be spoken for, so I'm keeping an eye on the forecast for Saturday (I know I know, college football is on too) and it looks like they're calling for the rain to be isolated and cleared up mostly by lunch hour. With that said, and for those of you wanting to attend, I think we should plan on meeting up at 12:30ish Saturday in Wimberley at the HEB. Wimberley is a great tourist town for those that have not been. There is a bunch of shops there in the square for those that would like to get some shopping in earlier if they would like. This would give us plenty of time for a meet n greet and the route should only take a little over an hour before we head home. Of course depending on where you live, your total travel time will vary.

We'll take a quick poll of those that arrive and see if there is anywhere along the route that others would like to see or do. Currently, the route I've set is to travel south out of Wimberley on RR12 to Canyon Lake turning west at FM 32. Along, this route we can stop at the Devil's Backbone Overlook. We'll then keep heading west until we turn south onto FM 3424 and then continue into Canyon Lake where we will turn east onto FM 306. Passing through Canyon Lake on FM 306 we will turn south onto S Access Rd which will take us by the USACE Canyon Lake Dam. We will continue on this road crossing FM 2673 where the road will now become River Rd. This road will be slow going and meander along the Guadalupe River where the trees should be in full color this time of year. This will take us into New Braunfels where we will reach Loop 337. Heading east on Loop 337, we will exit immediately on to Rock St which will become Gruene Rd. This will take us into the town of Gruene. Similar to Wimberley for those that have not been, it is a very small tourist town with shops and home to Texas' oldest continually operated dance hall. For those that would like to spend some time here they may. Otherwise we will continue north onto Hunter Rd where we will reach FM 306 again. We will head east on FM 306 until we reach the Buckee's at IH35 ending our cruise together.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Was unfortunately preoccupied and this local meet came about rather quickly.
Hope some showed up and had fun as will be unable to attend anytime soon.
I apologize to all if this past meet wasn't decided until too late. I was keeping an eye on the weather and although I had established the route and weekend fairly early I hadn't narrowed down the time or day until a couple days before. It lead to some confusion, so lessons learned on my part I will most likely going forward, try to establish the date and time early on and then leave that open to an audible if the weather changes. With that said, I'm planning the next one now. Since the last one was south I'm thinking we will go north for the next. I know December is a busy month for many (me included) so either the middle to late part of December or we may just skip until January. I know the SWSC is also having a run in our area the weekend of December 11-13 out in Johnson City to Burnet if those would like to join them instead. Also for those that haven't joined, here is the link to the ATX Kappas FB page. ATX Kappas - A Saturn Sky & Pontiac Solstice Group

21 - 32 of 32 Posts