Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which way is every leaning towards? Auto or Manual Trans.

Everyone knows that Manual trans are supposed to provide better performance and gas mileage, but my neighbor was making the argument that unless you are an expert shifter and work at shifting quickly each time, that the automatic is the better bet. Yes, if you are racing from a dead-stop then a manual does is best... but how often are you doing that?

Also... small point, but consider that it seems with the initial sky rollout, they were shipping manual trans first, skipping over automatics in the queue. Maybe theyve worked out whatever early issue they had and wont be the case for redline, but if manual gets ya the car a month or two faster...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I went with the manual because with this car I want to feel like I'm driving in every aspect (even if i'm not very good at it). Auto's are nice, but for me take away from a true driving experience. If this was going to be my sole commuter I may have leaned more towards the auto simply for the gridlock that I'm faced with.

·
Registered
92 Posts
And I take the opposite position. I prefer the Automatic...

I enjoy driving too much to have to work (or think) too hard while doing it. :D

Especially since the Sky is my daily driver and Boston bumper to bumper traffic can be a pain with a stick. :brentil:

Basically it comes down to personal preference.

:cheers:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Roadsters are made to shift.

I have an auto BMW Z4 (which I got so my wife could drive it). It mostly sits in the garage. The fun car is the Sky. To really get the full driving experience with a roadster, becoming one with it, shifting is the only way. Maybe for an every driver an automatic would be OK. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ordered the manual gearbox but Her indoors wanted me to order the auto so she can drive it and have some fun. Quite a dillemma to be sure. Please the lady or be selfish. I tought her to drive a stick in an older Mazda recently so manual Sky it is; sometime buy the end of the year I hope!

R

·
Registered
256 Posts
I bought this car without ever driving a manual before in my life. While learning before the car got here, I said to myself, "Why would anyone want to do this???! It's a pain." That has completely changed. I enjoy the quick shifting, popping it into gear at a higher RPM than an auto would shift, and downshifting for more power in acceleration situations. It's a ton of fun and am glad I learned how to drive it. Yes, starting on steep hills was a pain at first but now I've mastered that also. If I were getting a redline, I would definitely go with manual. Since I"m not and have no interest in the redline, I baby my current SKY :)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It has been 6 years since I last drove manual. Now I drove manual for about 13 years so I got to know it a bit. I live in the suburbs and most of our stop and go traffic consists of waiting for one other car to go through the stop sign. Still I do navigate Chicago from time to time and we go to most other cities during rush hour and laugh when people complain. That said... Manual or automatic...
If you can drive manual or want to try it then Yes -- YES and yes:cheers: Especially with this car! It shifts smoothly and is quite forgiving. I was finding myself double clutching because the throw is so short I just could not believe I was in gear!!

Oh and the reasons you neighbor gives are 100% correct -- but the FUN FACTOR trumps all that. This is a fun car - it is a work of sculpture to look at. Keep it fun -- keep it manual!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Purists do look down on automatics

Be honest with yourself. It takes a certain level of self confidence to opt for the automatic. Not because you'd be underwhelmed by the automatic's great performance, but because you'd get tisk, tisked, at the least from those who passionately believe that manual = true roadster performance and that automatic is a detraction. We've enjoyed both stick and auto in various vehicles over the years. Gave ourselves a reality check and decided to order the auto. After hearing initial reviews of the auto tranny, we felt better about our choice which by then was in the works. Now that we've driven it this month we have no second thoughts.

We were the only SKY and only automatic at a WCKCC event in Lake Tahoe earlier this month. Many of the Solstice owners were very interested in how the automatic performed. Here's a post from the Solstice forum "I followed our attending Sky to the vista point. What might interest some of you is the fact it was equipped with an automatic transmission. The Sky had no problems keeping up with the group and at times, I was pushing it a little to keep up with him."

Look forward to hearing your decision - either way you're bound to love driving this vehicle!

·
Registered
370 Posts
To be a real sports car you gotta have manual:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I haven't driven a manual tran car in over 15 years. Hell if I'd get an automatic in my Sky though! :D

·
First Picture of Production Red Line
164 Posts
:thumbs: Well, I'm for auto....but I'm sure my DH would like a manual...he did comment on the stop and go traffic and the manual being sorta of a pain. Anyway....because of me:) ... we are getting the Auto....shift it in D and forget it :) ...I think really any Sky, Redline or not...would be fantastic to drive with either a Auto or a Manual :) I'd be just happy to get our Sky now!

Redline
Black
w/Blk Tan interior leather
Auto
6CD Monsoon
Spoiler
XM Radio
Chromies
Loaded!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Inline4Redline said:
:thumbs: Well, I'm for auto....but I'm sure my DH would like a manual...he did comment on the stop and go traffic and the manual being sorta of a pain. Anyway....because of me:) ... we are getting the Auto....shift it in D and forget it :) ...I think really any Sky, Redline or not...would be fantastic to drive with either a Auto or a Manual :) I'd be just happy to get our Sky now!

Redline
Black
w/Blk Tan interior leather
Auto
6CD Monsoon
Spoiler
XM Radio
Chromies
Loaded!
A comment on the "Stop & Go Traffic" that people don't want to shift through -- The clutch on this car take ZERO pressure to hold in. I was tied up in traffic teh second day I owned my Sunni and slight pressure kept the plates apart and it was alllll good...
:D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cjegg said:
If this was going to be my sole commuter I may have leaned more towards the auto simply for the gridlock that I'm faced with.

Excellent point that i somehow overlooked, and prob the deciding factor for me to get manual.

My current daily driver is running very nicely, has mucho time left on extended warranty, and is almost paid off. The plan is to keep the current car for Winter and family driving.

Sky will be solely for fun... which means I go with manual!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I went with auto....even had to wait extra time to get it. Would never even consider getting a manual.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!

A big thanks to everyone, for all of the great and fast responses.

I'm definately going to go with the manual.

I haven't driven manual trans regularly since my first new car... an 86 (?) Honda CRX HF. Yes.. the sneaker car. Was also my last 2 seater.
That engine was built for mileage, but with that small car size, low-ness to the ground, and manual trans, it was a lot of fun driving. Twenty years old with that car, driving down the Atlantic City expressway working (weaving) my way through traffic.... damn that was fun!!

Wow... all those memories coming back. Take that above memory but strap on 260 hp, instead of 90 and a convertible top... WOoo Hooo!! What the heck was I thinking, even suggesting Auto. :cheers:

On a side note, something I've wondered about in recent years... That CRX was rated 50mpgw with normal driving. But I drove it hard... heavy on the pedal, heavy on the brakes, and heavy on the turns... and I still got over 40mpgh and it wasnt a Hybrid!!. So why are hybrids of today such a big deal, when Honda had it with all gas 22 years ago!
But I digress... :)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ahnuld said:
A big thanks to everyone, for all of the great and fast responses.

I'm definately going to go with the manual.

I haven't driven manual trans regularly since my first new car... an 86 (?) Honda CRX HF. Yes.. the sneaker car. Was also my last 2 seater.
That engine was built for mileage, but with that small car size, low-ness to the ground, and manual trans, it was a lot of fun driving. Twenty years old with that car, driving down the Atlantic City expressway working (weaving) my way through traffic.... damn that was fun!!

Wow... all those memories coming back. Take that above memory but strap on 260 hp, instead of 90 and a convertible top... WOoo Hooo!! What the heck was I thinking, even suggesting Auto. :cheers:

On a side note, something I've wondered about in recent years... That CRX was rated 50mpgw with normal driving. But I drove it hard... heavy on the pedal, heavy on the brakes, and heavy on the turns... and I still got over 40mpgh and it wasnt a Hybrid!!. So why are hybrids of today such a big deal, when Honda had it with all gas 22 years ago!
But I digress... :)
Now yer talkin'!:cheers: :lol: :cheers:
Soon you'll be :driving:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know if the auto for the Sky can be converted to tiptronic?

I'd love to have a Sky with paddle shifting ability! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
More complicated than that

Ahnuld said:
Which way is every leaning towards? Auto or Manual Trans.

Everyone knows that Manual trans are supposed to provide better performance and gas mileage, but my neighbor was making the argument that unless you are an expert shifter and work at shifting quickly each time, that the automatic is the better bet. Yes, if you are racing from a dead-stop then a manual does is best... but how often are you doing that?

Also... small point, but consider that it seems with the initial sky rollout, they were shipping manual trans first, skipping over automatics in the queue. Maybe theyve worked out whatever early issue they had and wont be the case for redline, but if manual gets ya the car a month or two faster...
It has more to do with just shifting. And your gas milage during acceleration will vary depending on driving style. I have been driving manual tranny cars for years and I have plenty of times when I put the clutch pedal in - disengage the engine from the tranny - and coast - this might be on the highway - or slowing for a traffic light etc - and aside from some aero-dynamic drag - the only thing slowing the car is rolling friction of the wheels - compared to an automatic - when you let off the gas you are effectively engine braking - creating drag - and slowing at a faster rate than in a manual in neutral.

Also, less wear on the brakes - down shift to slow instead of brake pedal. Maybe ends up needing clutch or tranny work in the long run - but in my 1996 Civic I got to around 65,000 miles before I changed the front brake pads and to about 125,000 before changing the fronts again and the rear shoes for the first time. In my wife's automatic 2000 Civic the front brakes were gone at about 22,000 miles. Some of that has to do with driving habits.

But the main reason I prefer manual is the control - when I drive I want to decide which gear to use and when to use it based on many factors, some of which cannot possibly be programmed into an automatic transmission. Sure it means that once in a while Ichoose the wrong gear or forget I am still in third when I want to pull out of a parking lot into traffic - but overall if I am driving an auto tranny I feel more like a passenger - when driving a manual my involvement in making the vechicle perform properly is much more personal and rewarding. Hard to describe really - but I think everyone who prefers manual knows what I am talking about and those who prefer auto (unless for medical or spousal reasons) maybe just don't get it. Not saying there is anything wrong with that - just providing a perspective.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lil GTO said:
It has more to do with just shifting. And your gas milage during acceleration will vary depending on driving style. I have been driving manual tranny cars for years and I have plenty of times when I put the clutch pedal in - disengage the engine from the tranny - and coast - this might be on the highway - or slowing for a traffic light etc - and aside from some aero-dynamic drag - the only thing slowing the car is rolling friction of the wheels - compared to an automatic - when you let off the gas you are effectively engine braking - creating drag - and slowing at a faster rate than in a manual in neutral.

Also, less wear on the brakes - down shift to slow instead of brake pedal. Maybe ends up needing clutch or tranny work in the long run - but in my 1996 Civic I got to around 65,000 miles before I changed the front brake pads and to about 125,000 before changing the fronts again and the rear shoes for the first time. In my wife's automatic 2000 Civic the front brakes were gone at about 22,000 miles. Some of that has to do with driving habits.

But the main reason I prefer manual is the control - when I drive I want to decide which gear to use and when to use it based on many factors, some of which cannot possibly be programmed into an automatic transmission. Sure it means that once in a while Ichoose the wrong gear or forget I am still in third when I want to pull out of a parking lot into traffic - but overall if I am driving an auto tranny I feel more like a passenger - when driving a manual my involvement in making the vechicle perform properly is much more personal and rewarding. Hard to describe really - but I think everyone who prefers manual knows what I am talking about and those who prefer auto (unless for medical or spousal reasons) maybe just don't get it. Not saying there is anything wrong with that - just providing a perspective.
Don't forget the gearing is different as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts