Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a long drive up into the hills this weekend, from 1,000 feet to 10,000 feet above sea level. On my way down the hill, my automatic transmission automatically downshifted TWICE as we were rolling downhill, pumping up the RPMs from 2000 to 3500. The computer programmer in me said, hopefully, "it's not a bug, it's a feature," because it was "automatically" protecting my brakes from being overworked.

But then, when I hit a flat area, it stayed in a low gear. I manually downshifted, and then returned, and it stayed in low gear. Finally, I shifted to neutral and returned, and it was fine.

Then, during the next long downhill, same problem. So, is it a bug, or a feature?

·
Registered
131 Posts
:smash: Get out the fly swatter!:smash: :nonod:

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
It is supposed to have something called "Grade Logic Control" which it IS supposed to provide some engine braking for you by downshifting on its own during down-hill travel. This is the same feature that it is supposed to keep the transmission from shifting too many times as you are going up-hill and such...

Regards,

BA...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
It is supposed to have something called "Grade Logic Control" which it IS supposed to provide some engine braking for you by downshifting on its own during down-hill travel. This is the same feature that it is supposed to keep the transmission from shifting too many times as you are going up-hill and such...

Regards,

BA...
I know we all make spelling errors , so BA reread your post and correct. Skip..I thought it was downrite funny....:) :)

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I know we all make spelling errors , so BA reread your post and correct. Skip..I thought it was downrite funny....:) :)
Thanks!!! That was hilarious!!! Just fixed it on my post and in your quote also!!! :thumbs:

Regards,

BA...

P.S.: I'm still laughing about it!!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Thanks!!! That was hilarious!!! Just fixed it on my post and in your quote also!!! :thumbs:

Regards,

BA...

P.S.: I'm still laughing about it!!!
Sheite! I missed it and you wont share it again...:banghead:

·
Super Moderator
6,570 Posts
eldeeko : Sheite! I missed it and you wont share it again...
Look for the bold "f" in post #3.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my way down the hill, my automatic transmission automatically downshifted TWICE as we were rolling downhill, pumping up the RPMs from 2000 to 3500. The computer programmer in me said, hopefully, "it's not a bug, it's a feature," because it was "automatically" protecting my brakes from being overworked.
My dealer called Saturn, and they said that this is "normal," but they did NOT say that the transmission is equipped with Grade Logic Control. I did an internet search and I could find no website that mentions Sky or Solstice and Grade Logic Control in the same breath, although the Honda is all over this term. I will look through the manual more carefully later today.

Usually, my dealer is able to print out a Bulletin about most things, such as the differential whine bulletin. In this case, the response was amazingly brief, no explanation of how it works, or when (or if) it would have ever disengaged, etc. When I asked some questions, they said that they called and were told it was normal, that was it.

To me, that is like saying that having to reboot my windows computer twice a day is normal. Well, indeed it is normal, but I expect technical support people to be able to explain "why" this happens and how to avoid it, when to expect it, etc.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sheite! I missed it and you wont share it again...:banghead:
Careful, some moderator goat might eat your word. Like the spellin GITIT!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts