Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received this letter in the mail today ...

dated July 2006

"Dear Saturn Customer"

Thank you for your purchase of a Saturn Sky. We are excited to have you in the Saturn Family and want to be sure you enjoy every aspect of your ownership experience.

With that in mind, we would like to inform you that Saturn is conducting a voluntary customer satisfaction program that affects certain 2007 model year Saturn Sky vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission.

We have learned that the location of the transmission vent tube on certain automatic transmissions may make the transmission susceptible to water damage in certain extreme exposures, sure as the water test at the assembly plant or traveling at highway speeds through standing water. In such cases, the transmission fluid may become contaminated with water, which could lead to the illumination of the "Service Engine Soon" lamp and a feeling of hard downshifts as the vehicle comes to a stop. The vehicle will still be drivable but will remain in fifth gear.

Your Saturn retailer will inspect the transmission fluid. If signs of water are present, the transmission will be replaced. If no signs of water are present, a new transmission vent tube will be installed to eliminate susceptibility to very heavy water exposure. The service will performed for you at no charge.

To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommed that you contact your Saturn retailer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair. By scheduling an appointment, your retailer can ensure that the necessary parts will be available on your scheduled appointment date."

A subsequent paragraph reads ...
"If you have any questions or need assistance, just contact your Saturn retailer or the Saturn Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-972-8876 or 1-800-833-6000(TTY). "

I have an appointment Wednesday (7-19-2006). I have had no problems with the auto xmission so far ... I'll let ya'll know what my outcome is.:confused:

·
Registered
478 Posts
"Voluntary customer Satisfaction" is Saturn speak for "recall" I guess. Good to see they nailed this issue down and have a fix.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
jarcher said:
"Voluntary customer Satisfaction" is Saturn speak for "recall" I guess. Good to see they nailed this issue down and have a fix.
Yep. Voluntary recall. It happens.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Results of transmission check

Took the Sky into the dealer yesterday. (1) Had the oil changed (@3300 miles ... readout was showing 70% oil life remaining) ... (2) an interior 'kick panel' (by the driver's right leg) kept falling off ... the dealer replaced the defective fasteners ... (3) had the trunk lid realigned ... (4) had the automatic transmission checked ... no water! ... (my Sky is healthy!) ... dealer installed the new transmission tube ... (5) asked the dealer to check the 'tire rub' issue ... he found 'substantial wear' on the right rear wheel well ... a new inner wheel well has been ordered and dealer will replace it when it is delivered from the factory.

Total cost for the oil change $33.
:)

·
Registered
295 Posts
just checked my mail...same letter...2500 miles on it and no problems..will make an appt tomorrow

·
Registered
421 Posts
bubbacc said:
I have an appointment Wednesday (7-19-2006). I have had no problems with the auto xmission so far ... I'll let ya'll know what my outcome is.:confused:
Let us know how long the appt took to replace the tube. My dealer is quite a drive so I don't want to be hanging around any longer than necessary. Thanks

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Chicago Skyline said:
Let us know how long the appt took to replace the tube. My dealer is quite a drive so I don't want to be hanging around any longer than necessary. Thanks

Jim...it was pretty quick, if I recall. Although I had other work done during the same visit, I don't think the vent tube replacement could have taken more than 30 minutes or so.

·
Registered
128 Posts
bubbacc said:
I received this letter in the mail today ...

dated July 2006

"Dear Saturn Customer"

Thank you for your purchase of a Saturn Sky. We are excited to have you in the Saturn Family and want to be sure you enjoy every aspect of your ownership experience.

With that in mind, we would like to inform you that Saturn is conducting a voluntary customer satisfaction program that affects certain 2007 model year Saturn Sky vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission.

We have learned that the location of the transmission vent tube on certain automatic transmissions may make the transmission susceptible to water damage in certain extreme exposures, sure as the water test at the assembly plant or traveling at highway speeds through standing water. In such cases, the transmission fluid may become contaminated with water, which could lead to the illumination of the "Service Engine Soon" lamp and a feeling of hard downshifts as the vehicle comes to a stop. The vehicle will still be drivable but will remain in fifth gear.

Your Saturn retailer will inspect the transmission fluid. If signs of water are present, the transmission will be replaced. If no signs of water are present, a new transmission vent tube will be installed to eliminate susceptibility to very heavy water exposure. The service will performed for you at no charge.

To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommed that you contact your Saturn retailer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair. By scheduling an appointment, your retailer can ensure that the necessary parts will be available on your scheduled appointment date."

A subsequent paragraph reads ...
"If you have any questions or need assistance, just contact your Saturn retailer or the Saturn Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-972-8876 or 1-800-833-6000(TTY). "

I took mine in last WEd.(07/19) and they replaced the vent tube, there was no water in the fluid so I guess I am good to go.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Replacing the Auto Trans Vent Tube

Chicago Skyline said:
As long as they HAVE the tube, its not a big deal ... make sure they HAVE the tube before you take your Sky in for service ... otherwise it might be 2 trips!

·
Registered
128 Posts
They checked mine already --- on my visit for first oil change. The dealer said they knew the recall was coming, so checked it at that time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts