Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of talk about who prefers what, Auto or Stick. The vertues of both. But I would like to hear from those of us who might have had the good fortune to have driven both an auto SKY and a Stick SKY. What are your observations.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have driven both....

My thoughts are...and its just my preference.....that this type of car needs to be a stick...of course there are people who either dont want a stick or cant drive one and thats understandable

·
Registered
727 Posts
There are so few out there that it is probably not going to be easy to find someone who has driven both.

What exactly are you trying to compare? Performance? Feel?

For pure fun behind the wheel, nothing is going to beat the stick. If you do a lot of driving in heavy traffic, or generally dislike changine your own gears often, the auto will be more satisfying.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a stick in mine and love it. My feeling is that if you can drive stick and don't drive in a lot of traffic, the car will be more fun with stick.
However, if you drive in the city or can't drive stick, I have heard that the automatic is fantastic. My dealer has said that they have more deposits on autos than sticks. So, if go with the stick, you may get yours faster.:thumbs:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was asking the same question before I ordered it too. In my case, this is going to be my toy car. I'm only driving it when I want to have some fun. So I got the stick. One other reason is that it restricts young drivers (the only one that I was worried about) from asking to drive the car.

"Uncle Don, can I drive your SKY?"
"Do you know how to drive a standard shift transmission?"
"No."
"Well then, I'm sorry, you can't drive my car."

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
I was asking the same question before I ordered it too. In my case, this is going to be my toy car. I'm only driving it when I want to have some fun. So I got the stick. One other reason is that it restricts young drivers (the only one that I was worried about) from asking to drive the car.

"No."
Haha nice...

Too bad I think I am the nephew in your story. I am still getting my skills perfected on stick with the Sky (I have driven other standard transmissions on many occasions but never owned one)... I have to learn how to get VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR out of first smoother.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I am really intrested in knowing if the a noticable differance in the feel and proformance between the auto and the stick. I am in the group that beleaves this car should only have a stick, but the little women thinks I should get an auto because of a back problem. Accouding to Dr. Wife I will have problems working the cluch with a bad back. I reply nonsence, I'm getting the stick.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
fkeillor said:
There has been a lot of talk about who prefers what, Auto or Stick. The vertues of both. But I would like to hear from those of us who might have had the good fortune to have driven both an auto SKY and a Stick SKY. What are your observations.
I drove the Stick and liked it a lot I have not driven an automatic but heard those that did liked it a lot as well.

Here is my take on it, all things being equal I would get the stick hands down.

Having said that I am actually getting an automatic. This is due to my wife cannot drive a stick and also living in LA I get stuck in a lot of stop and go traffic that would suck the fun out of driving a stick.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've driven both (several times). The stick gives better feedback. Plus you'll save some money over the automatic.

·
Registered
262 Posts
fkeillor said:
I guess I am really intrested in knowing if the a noticable differance in the feel and proformance between the auto and the stick. I am in the group that beleaves this car should only have a stick, but the little women thinks I should get an auto because of a back problem.
Before you go and start WWIII with the wife over this, here is another route. IF YOU CAN FORGET ABOUT, for just a moment, being able to "DRIVE" the car with the stick, maybe this is an option. You seem to not want to loose performance with the car if you get an automatic. If you get an automatic, and you don't like the power, do a little upgrading. One of the suporting vendors sells performance modifing equipment. If you go the Solstice forum you will be able to find other performance modifing things to do the the car, like reprograming some sort of computer gizmo that is in the car.

All would not be lost if you did get the automatic transmission. If you're into this type of thing, it could be a great compromise that might go like this.
"Honey, OK let's get the automatic transmission, JUST FOR YOU. But if it isn't powerfull, sporty, responsive, (fill in the blank) enough, I might have to make a couple of changes to the car. Honey, would that be OK with you?"​

·
Registered
554 Posts
Driven both auto and stick in the Sky now. The automatic is a good investment for those that deal with rush hour traffic. You lose nothing with the automatic over the stick!

Unless you are going to track your Sky or drive it in an unsafe or illegal manner the stick is the best way to go. You decide on how you like to drive.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Stuck in Drive!

fkeillor said:
I guess I am really intrested in knowing if the a noticable differance in the feel and proformance between the auto and the stick. I am in the group that beleaves this car should only have a stick, but the little women thinks I should get an auto because of a back problem. Accouding to Dr. Wife I will have problems working the cluch with a bad back. I reply nonsence, I'm getting the stick.
To each his own..I have the automatic because of two reasons. 1. I hate Los Angeles traffic (stop and go is a bear)
2. My wife doesn't drive a stick and at my age something happened and she had to drive the automatic it would be a plus.
3. I love a stick but 1 and 2 cancel it out! I was raised on a stick! A real man only drives a stick! Yeah..Right!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
fkeillor said:
I fall back upon the statement:
If you want to drive a car -- you have manual trans
If you just want to go along for a ride -- Auto...

Now everyone has their needs and prefrences -- but having driven both (no not in a SKY) I would never get another stick pick up truck for city/suburban use, but I also would never imagine an automatic sports car...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
"No."

Good point, I was getting a stick all along but this just made it easy!:D

Actually I have never had a car that I have driven daily as a automatic, just think the stick is more fun and with over 250,000 miles on my SC2 with the orginal clutch I know how to drive a stick!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts