Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can the sky be taken through auto car washes? my jeep won't because of the shape/soft top would get hurt. any problems doing this with a sky?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I'm NEVER going through a auto carwash:willy: . Only handwashing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
can the sky be taken through auto car washes? my jeep won't because of the shape/soft top would get hurt. any problems doing this with a sky?
I never had problems taking my jeeps through car washes. As for the Sky, I don't think it's supposed to go through the high pressure washes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Don't do it......Did it had a flood in passenger window and while I was trying to stop the water, realized that my whole back was soaked and I was sitting in a half-inch of water. Came in from back (behind) around door windows when carriage moved from rear to front of car.
Salesman told me it was watertight and would be ok. it was my first rag-top, so I didn't know any better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SKY SCRPR said:
Don't do it......Did it had a flood in passenger window and while I was trying to stop the water, realized that my whole back was soaked and I was sitting in a half-inch of water. Came in from back (behind) around door windows when carriage moved from rear to front of car.
Salesman told me it was watertight and would be ok. it was my first rag-top, so I didn't know any better.
ouch that sucks. thanks for the heads up though
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
5,953 Posts
My Sky goes through Goo-Goo car wash at least weekly. And no leaks , of course if it did leak then Duh I would not go to that carwash. I would handwash it. It is a medium pressure car wash but I think it dont leak because I play cool jazz up real loud and it wards off the leaky gods.....Skip....:lol: :lol: :lol: :D ..car comes out clean ,no marks and shines mighty brite.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Skip said:
but I think it dont leak because I play cool jazz up real loud and it wards off the leaky gods.....Skip....:lol: :lol: :lol: :D ..car comes out clean ,no marks and shines mighty brite.....

It probably puts the leaky gods to sleep. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
I only hand wash mine. Not taking a chance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
can the sky be taken through auto car washes? my jeep won't because of the shape/soft top would get hurt. any problems doing this with a sky?
Speaking of washing the car. When you do, make sure you water proof the top again with Raggtop waterproofing. Washing removes some of the water proofing.

See my signature for ragtop care.
"Once dry, cleaning must be followed by re-water repelling with RAGGTOPP™ Protectant. (This product does not contain CFC's and therefore, is not harmful to the environment.) Failure to apply will result in rapid resoiling of the unprotected fabric."​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I thought their was a reference in the owners manual not to subject the car to high pressure washing because of the possibility of water intrusion.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
Mine has gone through the high-pressure wash three times. Not a drop of water gets on the inside. Normally I wash by hand on the weekends, but if I don't have the time and baby needs a bath, well then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Actually, the wash that I go to does an excellent job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
It takes less time to set up and hand wash this cutie than it does to drive to the car wash... So far only hand-wash...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Who would NOT enjoy hand washing this car? Keeping it clean and pretty is half the fun. We're still waiting for our Sky, and when it arrives, I guarantee it will never see an auto wash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
It takes less time to set up and hand wash this cutie than it does to drive to the car wash... So far only hand-wash...
Same here and I still use plain water with no problems. Our water isn't very hard so no real water spot problem is dried quickly.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
I hand wash only, not only do I hand wash, I pull my wheels off once a month and clean behind the wheels for break dust and amoral the finder well. I'll do my best to keep her out of any rain, AND keep her in the garage at all times, Only when I'm not out looking for some attention:D I'm a clean freak when it come to my Sky. Like you said, Thats the fun of owning a Sky :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
calico said:
Who would NOT enjoy hand washing this car? Keeping it clean and pretty is half the fun. We're still waiting for our Sky, and when it arrives, I guarantee it will never see an auto wash.
Me. I'm lazy. :lol:

Would prefer it kept itself clean so I could just drive it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
learned my lesson the first time I took my brand new 1997 Mustang GT convertible through the power wash. :lol: Barb and I were SOAKED!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Haven't had the chance to give mine a good handwash yet but I have taken it to the carwash several times and used the spray wand on it. I had read on the forum where someone had a problem with the putting the top down while it was wet and the carpet in the trunk left stains on the tan top. So I would have to wait for it to dry before I could put it down, first with the flaps down to dry the topside and then pop them up so the underside would dry. Now I have found by keeping the windows up and carefully directing the spray I can wash the car with the top down without getting the interior wet.Then I take her home and dry her off with microfiber towels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Car wahses scratch the paint and leave those ugly swirls marks. Thats my main reason for not doing it. My 4 Runner I take thru the wash cuz its well a truck but i do polish it with Griots polisher every 6 mos. to take out the swirls and give the paint that new luster look. Im going to baby this one though. Just my .02 cents
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top