Saturn Sky Forum banner

Automatic car washes

6K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  dmbdlatc 
#1 ·
Ok.... just wanted to know if the information i received about washing my new baby is correct????? I was told that i SHOULDNT take my car to an automatic car wash since it came directly from the factory and the paint hasnt cured yet??????? .. just wash her by hand for 90 days or so..... is this right????? or is someone pulling my leg? SkyBaby-07

#2 ·
Well, I don't trust Automatic Car Washers, especially the ones that have them spinning dohickeys that can scratch your SKY all-to-hell :nono: . I would not use them. Just the way I feel about them. :cheers: I'm no paint expert but there could be something to that comment but I have no evidence either way to support it or to debunk it. :confused:

Its such a "small" car, wash it by hand if at all possible... :cool:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

#3 ·
I dont think i will mind being out in the drive with swimsuit on.. washing her and buffing.. and shining her up at all... looking forward to it actually...... LOVE IT ALREADY... SkyBaby-07

#4 · (Edited)
SKY Spy said:
Well, I don't trust Automatic Car Washers, especially the ones that have them spinning dohickeys that can scratch your SKY all-to-hell :nono: . I would not use them. Just the way I feel about them. :cheers: I'm no paint expert but there could be something to that comment but I have no evidence either way to support it or to debunk it. :confused:

Its such a "small" car, wash it by hand if at all possible... :cool:

Regards,

I have to say I got a chuckle out of your description "spining dohickeys" Thanks for the Sunday afternoon laugh....:lol:

#5 ·
I was always told NEVER :nono: take a convertible through a car wash. The soap they use alone will not be good for the cloth top. May want to see what it says in the owners manual. Unfortunately I am still waiting for my car so dont have one to check!! LOL :thumbs:

#6 ·
SkyBaby said:
I dont think i will mind being out in the drive with swimsuit on.. washing her and buffing.. and shining her up at all... looking forward to it actually...... LOVE IT ALREADY... SkyBaby-07
Thanks for the mental picture!!! :willy: :nono: :eek: :crazy:

Regards,

#7 ·
agirltrucker said:
I have to say I got a chuckle out of your description "spining dohickeys" Thanks for the Sunday afternoon laught....:lol:
Glad to help!!! :thumbs:

Regards,

#12 ·
Actually NO AUTO WASHES! Not good for convertables! Go to a wand car wash with the sprayers that aren't high psi (High pressure) Mid pressure is fine. A hand was is always best but I do go to the wand washes. Remember to Use a CLEAN MICROFIBER TOWEL to dry and if you get a chance down the road look into clay barring the car...but that is a whole nother thread!

#16 ·
Funny you should mention.... I took my car to the car wash yesterday and due to the size of my wheels (and tires) they had to hand wash it. $25!!!! Oh well, this time was okay since I had driven a pretty long distance on Friday (on business). There was bug gutts everywhere on the window, grill, etc. So I thought letting them do it this one time would be best.

So I will be going to Pep Boys and purchasing all of the necessities to keep the car in excellent shape!

#17 ·
SkyBaby said:
For some reason, I got the sudden urge to watch Cool Hand Luke! :D

Thanks for putting a :) on my face!

#19 ·
I'd go with handwashing just to play it safe. The car isn't that big................:cool:

#23 ·
Wash it by hand!:thumbs: I even wash my 3/4 ton Silverado by hand, and if you don't think that takes some time you don't know sh er, ah, squat. :lol: I don't trust any car wash, especially mechanical ones. :nono: I think my last motorcycle had more fairing than the Sky has sheetmetal! :lol: I imagine I do a really good wash and detail it in less than 30 minutes!:thumbs:

#24 ·
If you have to...

I would think that if you have to you should try to use one that has cloth rather than the plastic bristles - I had a turn signal light ripped right off a car by the bristle kind. the cloth type tend to not be spinning very fast. of course you really don't know what might have goen through the wash before you.

I get two free car washes a month at my Honda dealer - but their car wash is kinda slow and doesn't dry very well. not sure what I will do when it comes time to wash the Sky - there are a couple of coin op do it yourself places nearby.

#25 ·
I won't be taking my SKY through any automatic car washes. I think my hubby would have a COW if I did...:lol: He actually enjoys washing the cars by hand, so that will be his job. :D Besides, washing the SKY will be a snap compared to washing and drying my motorcycle. With all the nooks and crannies and chrome on that thing...it sometimes takes me as long as 2 hours to thoroughly clean my bike. :crazy:

#26 ·
I previously had a Miata and occasionally took it through "touchless" automatic car washes... no problem to the car, although the high pressure of the rinse would often blow by the window seals some and into the interior... (I got used to holding up a towel at the seams!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.