Saturn Sky Forum banner

Automatic car washes

6K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  dmbdlatc 
#1 ·
Ok.... just wanted to know if the information i received about washing my new baby is correct????? I was told that i SHOULDNT take my car to an automatic car wash since it came directly from the factory and the paint hasnt cured yet??????? .. just wash her by hand for 90 days or so..... is this right????? or is someone pulling my leg? SkyBaby-07

#27 ·
get it fixed

SKYRIDE said:
I previously had a Miata and occasionally took it through "touchless" automatic car washes... no problem to the car, although the high pressure of the rinse would often blow by the window seals some and into the interior... (I got used to holding up a towel at the seams!)
Then you have a leaking problem or faulty seals what i would do if that happens to your sky is bring it to the dealer to have to fixed. i was told to take it through a touchless just to make sure there is no leaking a word of advice to everyone with convertibles

#28 ·
I'd be afraid of the tires being so low that the rims get scratched while going through their tracks. Though, I took my mustang convertible through car washes for years with no problems to the top or paint...i'm not ready to risk that with my SKY. I washed her for the 2nd time on Saturday (in 8 days). Microfiber cloths to dry and buff, she looks great and it doesn't take that long. Mine is a white car though and the pollen around here is so bad this time of year, she's covered in pollen again in 1 day.

#30 · (Edited)
SkyBaby said:
I was told that i SHOULDNT take my car to an automatic car wash since it came directly from the factory and the paint hasnt cured yet??????? .. just wash her by hand for 90 days or so..... is this right?????
I don't know anything about the "cure" thing. But the problem I have with the automatic car wash is that I don't know what detergent they use, and how it will effect the top. Will the detergent wash away all the water repellant and UV protection that the top needs?

What about any "wax" treatment that they have. Will that just trap the dirt into the fabric roof material or not, and will that promote mold or mildew?

I'm NOT saying don't use the auto car wash, I'm just asking the questions.
Link to rag top manufacture's web site

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.